| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker and cabinet opinions
Jimbo Watkins

Allen, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 4:23 pm    

Ladies & Gents,
I have a nice Ampeg SVT-III bass amp collecting dust that I thought that I might repurpose for steel. I would think that with 275 watts at 8 ohms or 450 watts at 4 ohms, it should have clean overhead for days. Also, I have been playing through a Fender Bassman 60 combo in my bedroom and it sounds better for steel than playing through my15-watt all-tube Egnater that I love for my Tele.

A buddy of mine has built several speaker enclosures over the years and he would help me build one. I would like to go with a single 12" or 15" so that the size doesn't get too big for a Honda Accord.

Please share your experience with which speakers sound best to your ear and if open or closed back construction works best for steel.

Thanks . . . . Jim W.

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 9:35 pm     Speaker Cabinet.

I built a 2-12 Fender Bandmaster style cab. for my JBL D-120F speakers. It started out closed back, but I had to open it up. With my Twin Reverb head, It just had to much bass response. It made all the difference in the world, to have an open back. If you build a single 12or15, it could be totally different. Mather in Nashville, puts an elliptical hole in the back of his cabs, and I probably would try that if I was building a single speaker cab.
Jimbo Watkins

Allen, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 3:23 pm    

Thanks Bill!