| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A very unexpected FANTASTIC low volume practice amp...SPIRIT
Benjamin Wolfram

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 1:11 am    

Anyone heard of a Matamp Spirit? It's a little 5 watt all valve tweed vintage champ clone...well, close to a clone anyway. Single 6V6 for power stage, ECC83 for pre, a single Jensen 8" speaker, and only a tone and a volume knob. It even has it's own attenuator...surprisingly 5 watts can get bloody loud!

I have this amp because I'm mainly a six string guitarist and it's a wicked little amp for recording and practice at home. I decided tonight to, just for kicks, see if it could take my pedal steel so I could sell the Vox practice modelling amp I've been using for home practice (it doesn't sound very good) and it sounded fantastic!!! I was worried that it would break up too easily seeing that I'm running a Rittenberry with a blade humbucker through a Goodrich active volume pedal into it, but it sounded great! Just leave the volume down pretty low, and still had plenty of its own volume when I let off the attenuator. Put a reverb pedal on top of it and man it was some sweet sweet home tone Very Happy

It's not going to keep up with a band, but it's fantastic for home practice where you don't want much volume but you'd still like a nice warm tube Fender'y sound. Love it, and I'm selling the Vox!!!

Just thought I'd share my revelation Smile