| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1966 GIBSON Trini Lopez Standard Sold locally Pls Close
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 1:47 pm    

I hope the ghost of Ted McCarty and the guitar's namesake himself haunt and pummel me for doing this, but here for sale is a 1966 Gibson Trini Lopez Standard.

Functionally, it's the same as the legendary and deliriously coveted ES-335, except with Fender-style headstock, diamond soundholes, tailpiece badge and double-arrow fretboard inlays.

Serial number 800xxx was used in 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1969, but the short black concave-top knobs were used through 1966, before the change to taller "witch-hat" knobs. The tuners are correct period Kluson replacements; mini-Schallers have been removed. Before I got this (2000), probably many years before I got it, it had a headstock repair but the repair area and splines look to have received lots of playing wear since then. (That tiny chip in the finish was there when I got it.) This has a slightly thin neck--not as thin as some Gibsons in the mid-'60s--a hair wider than 1-5/8".

Everything else on the guitar appears to be original. (Will come with some kind of hardshell case to be determined--possibly a dreadnaught hardshell.)

Rather than try to get what other player-Trini's have fetched on eBay (north of $3000)--and pay eBig eBrother a predatory and Capone-worthy final value fee--I'd rather offer this to the Forum for {price drop--through Sun 6/8 only} $2500 (+shipping + PayPal). There is a limited-edition reissue, but not many were made (and the ones that were have unbound soundholes.)

Better to email me -- weissenben(At}earthlink{dot}net -- than post directly to this thread.

Last edited by Ben Elder on 7 Jun 2014 11:32 am; edited 7 times in total
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 4:38 am    

What a beauty !

Last edited by Chris Boyd on 17 Apr 2014 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Elder

Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 3:48 pm    

$2800 may seem like a bit o' change, but see what they're asking for these on gbase.com .

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 7:46 am    

These are wonderful guitars. I played one for a lot of years full time and loved it. Unfortunately I sold it a few years ago to get my old Telecaster back. I wish I still had the Trini. That neck repair however does drop the value somewhat but the neck repair(s) are usually stronger than an undamaged neck. Even with that, the guitar's well worth the asking price. Here's an old shot from '76 in front of a club in Huntington Beach, Ca. with my old "Trini".....JH in Va.

Buffalo, NY/ Hale Eddy, NY
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2014 6:12 pm    

I've dealt with Ben before and can recommend him as an excellent seller.

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 11:46 am    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
Here's an old shot from '76 in front of a club in Huntington Beach, Ca. with my old "Trini"

Jerry,

Not just some "club" - the infamous GOLDEN BEAR!

J.

Ben Elder

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 4:27 pm    

I was going to let this settle into history, but I see something else on the Forum that I can't live without and I have two other 335-like guitars in the mail or the shop, so...bump.