| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  4 pulls on 1 lever
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 4:05 am    

I'm wanting to add 2 more pulls to my msa classic which would make a total of 4 on my LKR. I lower 6 to G with B pedal engaged and raise 1 to G# . I want to add a tuneable split on the 6 raise and also add the 2 raise to E. This would make 4 pulls on that one lever. How would that affect the lever travel ? Will it make it stiffer to engage ?

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 4:46 am    

I'm 3/4ths of the way there, but my Carter came stock that way (except they're on RKL). I'm also thinking of adding the 1/2 step raise on 2.

As of right now, RKL doesn't feel much different than my LKR (which drops my E's a half step). If I understand the rodding theory, the travel for your LKR won't change at all because the travel is set up for the changes on the smallest string. Where your 1st string is changing a whole step (presuming it is F# open) that is the change requiring the longest travel of your knee lever. So the travel won't change.

Adding another pull will add resistance to the change though... it will feel stiffer I'm sure.

I don't know the effect of adding a split. I have an idea about it, but my novice steel-mechanic mind isn't too sure. I have never known my guitar without the split, so I can't comment there.

I'm sure some more knowledgable mechanics will chime in any minute.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 7:07 am    

On my Franklin, my RKL has 4 pulls on it. 1st string F# to G#, 2nd string D# to E and 6th string G# to F# and the split with the "B" Pedal. It also lowers the 3rd string, C to B on the C6th neck.

My RKR also has 4 pulls on it, 2nd string lower D# to C# with a half stop "feel stop", 7th string raise F# to G, 9th string lower D to C#. And, on the C6th neck 2nd string E to Eb lower.

The 4 pulls on the knee levers are not a problem on the Franklin and are not "stiff". However, on my wife's S-10 GFI Expo it is a different story. Both the RKL and RKR, which have the exact same E9th changes as my Franklin (except tunable split on the 6th string) are much stiffer. I would be afraid to add a 4th change to the GFI.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 4:39 pm     stiff knee lever

Dustin, glad you asked this question. I had 5 pulls on my new G2 on RKL . same as Jacks. 1st string F# to G# 2nd string D# to E 6th string G# to F# I also had 7th string raise F# to G# and C to B on C6. RKL was extremely to stiff, so I backed off the 7th string raise at the nylon tuner, which left me 4 pulls. It was still very stiff. Mike Mantey at Mullen told me to loosen off the return springs at the changer. I loosened off the return springs on all the raises to where there was about 1/2 to 5/8 inchs between the return screw head and the spring itself. It was still waay to stiff. So Mike told me I could put my raise rods for that lever in a different hole at the changer, and bellcrank. Did that and although it helped a little, the lever is still to stiff. I may can loosen off a little more on my lower return springs. I think Mike said I could loosen off the return springs as much as I needed, as long as it didn't effect the strings returning back to the right pitch. I got a friend that has a Mullen RP, he has 4 changes on his RKL, and the lever is very easy to engage. I'm not happy with the stiffness on my RKL. Any suggestions guys, on how I might get this lever to engage more freely?
Terry
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 5:14 pm    

When I ordered my Carter, I had 5 pulls on RKR. I raised 1 to G#, 2 to E, lowered 6 to F#, and on C^th I raised 3 to D and 4 to B (standard pedal 7). It took an army of 60 people to work that lever. So, I ended up moving the string 1 & 2 raises to a different knee lever.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 8:22 pm     Rkl

Thanks Richard, I may have to move a couple of my changes. I might could move my C to B on C6 to LKV that lowers my Bs to Bb and, then I could leave my 1st and 2nd string raises and 6 lower on RKL. That would give me 3 pulls on RKL that should help a lot. I'm not going to worry about my 7 string raise,just leave it backed off at the changer. this is the first steel I've ever had that change on anyways, and I didn't use it, so won't miss it.

Terry
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 8:14 am    

There are so many variations.
Leverage points both fingers and pullers.
Spring tension.
A lot of folks don't realize what kind of pull rods you use; add to tension or not.
A good stainless steel 1/8 rod will flex so much less than the rods most makers use. Flex ADDS tension.
Also the length of the rods.
So the more you can chew off of those points the easier the pulls will be.
Have fun.
Ricky