| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody tried a wireless system for steel?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 8:13 am    

It would be nice to get to a gig early and set up in the front of the house, then run your amp check from the audience's standpoint. The only problem is, there would be s slight delay from the time you picked the strings until the sound came through the amp.

Plus, you would eliminate the long cord from the guitar to the amp and any tone change that might be causing.
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 8:47 am    

And if you didn't like that spot you could pick it up and walk around with it ! Laughing

I still have a wireless in my pack seat. Years ago I played an acoustic guitar on some things. Every time the bass player seen it he ask if I needed a strap for that Mullen ! A strap would free your hands up while you walked around ! Embarassed

Last edited by Bill Moran on 26 Mar 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 9:21 am    

Hmm. If the drummer, or lead guitar player, gets too loud, just move somewhere off-stage.

You may be on to something!

Laughing
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 5:06 pm     Anybody tried a wireless system for steel?

Lee, for us old guys that have to go to the bathroom a lot, you have really solved a problem. We can take our steel with us to the bathroom and just keep playing, as long as we stick to the commode, which should be about the right height, so we will not have to take our steel seats. This may give a whole new meaning to country "S--T Kicking" music
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 6:54 pm    

But seriously, except for the the reason you noted, I see no point. And, I have never had the need or urge to go set up in the audience area to hear what it sounds like. 2 guitar players I know that use a wireless and sometimes a regular cord do notice a different tone between the 2. It seems like an expensive waste to me.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 11:24 am     Anybody ever used a wireless system for steel?

Richard, I think there would be a tone difference between the wired vs. wireless. That could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on which way the change occurs. My brother has a new Shure wireless guitar system that I can borrow and try any time, but, I am too lazy to mess with it. I was looking for the easy way out and hoped somebody had already tried it and what they thought about it. If I got a positive answer, then I might go to the trouble to hook it all up to hear for myself.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 2:35 pm    

George. Be a trailblazer and give it a try. Let us know what you think.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 9:05 am     Wirleess sytem

Sometimes I use a two channel wireless system one for my guitar and the other channel for my steel, and it works great, I also use a normal volume pedal directly into the amp on small stages, and I really can'hear much difference in the tone. They both sound fine to me and less leads for the drummer to trip over.

Don`t say no to it unless you have tried it, you may like it.

It works for me .

Jimmy.

Last edited by Jimmy Gibson on 7 Aug 2014 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Butler

Robbinsdale, MN
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 8:00 am    

And NO SHOCKS from microphones