| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter Starter sold for $1k on Ebay
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 8:54 am    

Wow. Just saw a Carter Starter go for over a thousand dollars on Ebay. Makes me feel really, really good about what I paid for mine, even though I had a 130 mile drive to get it.

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 7:40 pm    

The joy of a bidding war. Smile

Tom
Stephen Cordingley

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 5:45 am    

Some people really put them down, but they seem to be maintaining their resale value quite well. (supply and demand, I assume)
I guess I should have kept mine instead of trading it for a Peavey 400 LTD amp...
Jim Williams

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 7:09 am    

I actually like mine very well. You just can't expect it to be a pro guitar. I also paid less than half that for it Smile

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 8:13 am    

The whiners and flamers will love this! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 9:13 am    

That's more than the cost of a brand new one. It just goes to show that many eBay buyers have no idea of the value of what they're bidding on, and get carried away.
Jim Williams

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 11:06 am    

Niels Andrews wrote:
The whiners and flamers will love this! Laughing Laughing Laughing
lol

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 11:09 am    

Yes Alan, I have also found the way to get a premium price for something is to start it out at a bargain price with no reserve. Everybody thinks they are going to steal it and then get caught up in the competition of the auction and this happens. Of course, I have too much of a conscience to try and stick somebody for twice what something is worth. It would bother me to know I sold somebody something and took advantage of their lack of knowledge, but that's just the way I was raised I guess, not saying there is anything wrong with it. BTW, the guitar in question was pretty beat up too.

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 1:51 pm    

I have one that I will want to sell in a few weeks. Anyone want to suggest an appropriate asking price? I was thinking 600 but I am too new at this to know for sure.

I realize these guitars are not liked, but it has helped me get sucked into the vortex.

All the best

Brian Saulsman
Jim Williams

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 1:59 pm    

I'm certainly no expert Brian, and it depends some on condition and what you have with it...hard case, original DVD instructions, etc. but generally I see them go for around $600 - $650 for the guitar itself. As you probably know the hard case was not included in the original package, so that would add a bit I would think. The case sells for $130 standalone. I would suggest you search the For Sale forum here and look at some that have sold previously on here, compared to yours.

And by the way, many people like them fine as long as they accept them for a low priced beginner's instrument at a price point that there wasn't much available for in their day. Of course, nowadays if somebody can spend for a little over $1000 there are several better options.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 8:49 am    

Jim Williams wrote:
Yes Alan, I have also found the way to get a premium price for something is to start it out at a bargain price with no reserve. Everybody thinks they are going to steal it and then get caught up in the competition of the auction and this happens. Of course, I have too much of a conscience to try and stick somebody for twice what something is worth. It would bother me to know I sold somebody something and took advantage of their lack of knowledge, but that's just the way I was raised I guess, not saying there is anything wrong with it. BTW, the guitar in question was pretty beat up too.

That can, of course, backfire on the seller if there's only one bid and it's at $5 and no-one else notices the sale.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 9:06 am    

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jim Williams

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 12:44 pm    

That's very true and would probably be just my luck! Laughing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 7:10 pm    

I paid $350 for my starter two years ago or so. I'd take a $1,000 for mine!! Smile Smile
Jim Williams

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 6:25 am    

$350...wow I thought I got a pretty good deal at $475.

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 12:35 pm    

Jim Williams wrote:
$350...wow I thought I got a pretty good deal at $475.

I got it at a pawn shop of all places. Probably the worst place in the world to buy a musical instrument!! But with a little tweaking it plays and sounds great!! Smile