| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Still having seating problems
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 11:19 am    

I have been having a hard time finding a seat of the right height for my steel and my height. I recently bought an adjustable keyboard bench which adjusts to the right height, but if I sit on it for any length of time my back kills me. I know a pack a seat would be a good solution but to be honest, I'm not traveling with the guitar at this time, and the pack a seat is somewhat pricey and takes a lot of room in the house. I have a regular office chair (no arms) that is comfortable but too short, so today I went by a local carpet store and picked up some outdated carpet sample pads to use as a cushion as suggested by someone here on that forum...hope that works or I might have to find a good chiropractor.

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 11:45 am    

Here's my suggestions....

Jim, first, be sure you're seating posture is good...legs and torso at 90 degree angle, back straight, arms relaxed, and bent at approximately 90 degrees when hands are in playing position. Your seat height should help make the above possible. And, don't start to slouch while concentrating on playing.....that's my problem...and it will cause back pain pretty quick.

If none of this helps, you might try some exercises to strengthen your back and abdomen muscles.
Mike Dunlap

Robinson,Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 7:49 pm    

i just play around the house but i went to Goodwill and bought a used shower chair for assisting physically challenged people for $2.50. it has adjustable lightweight legs and plastic seat which i put a cheap pad on. it is light weight and adjustable and quite comfortable. Was it worth the $2.50 to me...you bet. Im sure there will be many other choices but it works great for me.
Larry Jackson

Morrilton, AR
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2014 11:37 pm    

Mike Dunlap wrote:
i just play around the house but i went to Goodwill and bought a used shower chair for assisting physically challenged people for $2.50. it has adjustable lightweight legs and plastic seat which i put a cheap pad on. it is light weight and adjustable and quite comfortable. Was it worth the $2.50 to me...you bet. Im sure there will be many other choices but it works great for me.

I'm just playing on a stool from my shop and it's a little high, I think. But since you said this...there's one of these in our outbuilding from when my wife broke her ankle. Brilliant! I'm checking it out tomorrow. Thanks, Mike!
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 3:36 am    

Speaking of the shower chair, here's one with the "sidecar"...

Seriously, seat height makes a huge difference. My hips start hurting after 30 minutes of playing, and I have discovered my seat is about 2 inches too high. Going to do some "adjusting" today...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Steve Perry

Elizabethtown Ky, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 7:52 am    

I'm a new player. I've only been playing a couple of months. I started using an adjustable barstool that I had been using for lap steel, but it was about 2 inches to high for the pedal steel. I then went to a kitchen chair with a couple of seat cushions. That got me at a better height, but it still wasn't ideal. I finally invested in a used pac-a-seat and that made all the difference in the world. The first time I sat on it behind the steel the pedals, knees, hands all fell into place and things I was struggling with became much easier to achieve. It's worth the investment in the right equipment. Keep an eye on the for sale forum and you will see a used seat come up fairly often. One hint.... If you see one come up that you like, jump on it quick. They don't last long around here.
Jarek Anderson

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 8:38 am    

I use a drum throne with adjustable height. You can get ones that have a back rest, for about $100. Not as much as a steel seat. But you can stuff it full of things!
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 12:01 pm     several models

Jim I make steelseat to any height you want - I have an option of adjustable height legs that will adjust 1 3/4" max.

The adjustable cross brace type have a large difference in the holes do not adjust very exact.

Joe Naylor
480-215-8853 email joe.naylor@att.net
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 5:05 pm    

I remember finding a pair of workboots that fit so perfectly, and the price shocked me. I bought em, never regretted it. 25 cents a day so far and going strong. Overall, pain avoidance is worth something.
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 6:23 pm    

Update on my seat, lowered it 1-1/2" and added 1" of padding to the seat. Feels mucho bettero.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Mike Dunlap

Robinson,Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 6:28 pm    

Larry, you will be patting yourself on the back and your wife will be so impressed how much you saved that she might just let you take her out to dinner and a movie with the money you saved.. Scott...You catch on quick..that model you have is the deluxe model and for the dedicated player..i hope you don't have it set up in front of the front picture window... Very Happy
Larry Jackson

Morrilton, AR
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 7:47 pm    

Mike Dunlap wrote:
Larry, you will be patting yourself on the back and your wife will be so impressed how much you saved that she might just let you take her out to dinner and a movie with the money you saved.. Scott...You catch on quick..that model you have is the deluxe model and for the dedicated player..i hope you don't have it set up in front of the front picture window... Very Happy

Heck, I just took her to McDonalds yesterday! I'm gonna give it a few days....don't want to spoil her. Smile

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 12:03 am    

When I first started playing steel in the 70's my wife bought me an old claw foot piano stool which I used for a long time. I retired it long ago and got myself a standard pak seat....yes Sho~Bud. I still have the piano stool as you can see.......