| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickups for the MSA Millenuim...
Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 9:09 pm    

I just figured others may be interested, so I thought I'd post here instead of contacting Reece or Kyle directly:
Knowing the pickups are modular, will ALL George L's & Lawrence pickups be configured & available for the MSA Millennium?
T.W's? E66's? 186-SS? 10-1's?
910's? 710's? XR-16's?
Others?
Knowing that one could switch later but didn't have a preference, what pickups would you slide in as "standard"?
Am curious. Reece? Kyle? If you'd be so kind...
Thanx!

[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 02 October 2002 at 11:19 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 11:42 pm    

Someone here on the Forum already said that the E66's would be standard, but it wasn't Reece or Kyle. I think that they'll use the best sounding pickups that are available, with the key-word being "available".
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 4:47 am    

Reece mentioned that most any pickup would work, but it would have to be mounted to their mounting plate. He specifically mentioned Bill Lawrence pickups, but has been having trouble with delivery, no surprise lately! He also expressed interest in Jim Pitman's new pickup, saying his engineers could adapt its slightly thinner spool to their mounting plate as well.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 8:26 am    

The Jim Pitman pickup would be a fine match for this guitar in my opinion.
Bobbe
Kyle Bennett

Dallas, TX USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 9:47 am    

Jim,
You’re exactly right. Millennium will accommodate the entire steel line of George L and Lawrence pickups. Millennium comes standard with E66 however there is no up charge for any of the others. We are very interested in Pitman as well.

Kyle
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 9:55 am    

Could y'all characterize the sound of the Jim Pitman pick-up? Contrast it with say, the L-910 Sidewinder?

Is a humbucking model available?

Thanks.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 6:02 am    

The pickup I produce is dual coil, humbucking, with adjustable pole pieces.

I had the opportunity to compare my new "Tonaligner" to the 910 at Jerry Fessenden's shop. He had two guitars. One, had a 910 the other had mine. To summarize, the Tonealigner is brighter and a bit louder. He recorded and compared and found it easier to dial in a sound with the Tonealigner.

The convention was a great experience for me.
I went looking for opinions and came back with some that I will reflect in minor changes to the design. For example, manufacturers (non modular) want to see a base plate rather than individual mounting feet.

I had the opportunity to try the pickup in the Sierra room. The consensus there was very positive. Pedal to the floor, through a tube amp even, - no hum, and it gave kind of an Emmons sizzle to the tone.

I have been gigging with one in my guitar for quite some time now and can't comprehend changing back to anything else. I recently recorded with John Fishman of "Phish" fame on his Pork Tornado album that should be out soon for a preview of the tone.

I am sending pickups for evalution to any interested manufacturer initially. MSA is on the list.

And furthermore, as my wife would say (she attended) ......Blah blah blah....pedal steel...blah blah blah...tone, blah blah blah..pickups...blah blah..Dobro....etc.

Jim Pitman
Jaspit Electronics
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 1:32 pm    

Sounds interesting, Jim. Is your pick-up as bright as the L-710? The E-66?
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 2:02 pm    

Jeff,

I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to the 710 or the E66. Perhaps we did in the Sierra room and I didn't know it. There must have been about 15 different pickups on the floor that we were swithcing in and out. I'll see if I can find out specifically.

Jim