| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  High D tuning question
Chris Renna

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 8:44 am    

I just listened to this smokin performance again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciGIsNPfvEI
Really digging Jonny Lam's playing and I know he is a contributor on these forums, but I thought I would ask the general population for info about the tuning he mentions using. What does the high D tuning allow for and are there any notable past examples of folks using it?

Thanks,

Chris
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 9:29 am    

i havent watched the entire set to get to his tuning - but i guess he is using a standard 10 string C6 with a high D as most pedal players use.
the D was a substitute for the "old" C6 using a high G by Buddy Emmons. this allowed a great deal more freedom to do the exact twin lines as Jonny is doing here - so you dont have to jump around to get that whole step interval that you find in most song heads. plus, if you double on pedals, you have those habits ingrained already so there is no re-learning patterns, strings, etc.
a lot of people use the high D - Herb Steiner does on his C6 tuning, as does Billy Robinson, Maurice Anderson, etc, etc. - its fairly common for 10/12 string players.

most non-pedal players dont use it because they only have 6/8 strings. i had it on my 8 string C6 for a while, and its certainly nice, but you have to give up something in return (sound familiar?)
i would certainly pick the hi-D over the hi-G if i had the extra string to spare. if you are playing lots of uptempo twin guitar parts, its almost a necessity.

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 9:55 am    

Thanks for the info. I am using a 6 string with the high G tuning and really like it at this point. Seems like at some point I should get an 8 or 10 string though...