| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How a DAC made me rediscover music
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 3:04 pm    

It is truly amazing how a new piece of stereo equipment can change and shape the way you hear music.

I turned 60 last friday so I went out and bought myself a gift: A Rotel RDD-1580 DAC. (yeah, I didn't know what a DAC was either).

I set out to buy new speakers but wasn't blown away by anything. So I came home and started reading about the power of DACS to reinvent your digital music experience. So I ordered one instead of the speakers.

MY GOD! WHAT a difference it makes! I spent the weekend rediscovering my classical and jazz collection of CD's and opera?! It feels like you are on stage with them.

I've never had a single piece of equipment so totally change my musical experience to the degree this DAC has done. I now have all my music on my computer streaming to my appletv and straight into my DAC and into the preamp and amp.

The DAC isn't cheap: It was over $800 with the tax (you only hit 60 once, right?) but so worth every penny.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 4:21 pm    

Bill, I think you may be on the cusp of a new generation of listeners..
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/02/09/6138489/sacramento-company-seeks-audio.html
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 4:35 pm    

That is interesting. After i got this dac I started researching some of the hi res recordings that are out there. This thing has really made a believer out of me. I'd lost interest in listening to music lately. Nothing sounded good. Pulling out my vinyl got me some of that feeling back, but let's face it. LP's are not the most convenient way of listening to music so i soon went back to streaming. This DAC has brought back that excitement. The convenience of digital and the quality of vinyl. As i say, worth every penny.
Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 1:31 pm     I want one too!

Hi Barry,

Thanks for providing the DaVinci DAC link.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for bringing-up this topic. I want a DAC now! Can you share where you bought the Rotel DAC?