| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Could YOU give up steel guitar?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 8:32 pm    

Some great steel players like Buddie Merrill, Johnny Sibert and others whose names I cannot now recall have openly stated that they simply 'walked away' from their life of playing steel guitar.

They'd chosen to give up the bright lights, booze, drugs,BIG MONEY, worldly travels and an abundance of great looking women.........

Could you EVER simply walk away from the substantial investment you've made in learning to play the steel guitar and working your way up the ladder toward fame and fortune?

Unless I became terminally ill and incapable of ever picking and/or sliding that bar, I could NEVER simply walk away from my music.

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 8:36 pm    

Inconceivable.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 8:50 pm    

Nope!
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 9:08 pm    

Quote:
Could you EVER simply walk away from the substantial investment you've made in learning to play the steel guitar and working your way up the ladder toward fame and fortune?

of course I could, and I did, and I would do it again, in a heartbeat ...

this is my fame and fortune my friend, and my biggest investment ...

db

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 9:11 pm     Could you give up steel guitar?

I've been playing steel for 57 years, and I'm still addicted to it. I don't think there is any treatment for my addiction.
JC.
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 11:14 pm     Walkin' Away.

I never had the slightest chance of becoming famous, so walkin' away from fame & fortune wasn't in the cards. But, QUIT PLAYIN' MUSIC? NOT WHILE I'M STILL BREATHING!!!!!And it's the same attitude I have about workin' on my old Jeep Wrangler. If it needs a clutch, fuel pump, or any service, I'll do it myself, until I'm off into eternity.
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 5:41 am    

When I was just starting to play, and heard some of the stories of some great players who'd just walked away from it, I couldn't believe it...How could anyone do that?

As I got older the prospect of walking away became a little more real, and actually did so twice...6 years and 8 years, but never really thought of myself as a "Non" player.

Maybe it's just a personality thing...I gave up golf for 8 years once, after playing 3-4 time's a week for many years...haven't played now in about a year and a half...other interests I guess, (New Young Wife) Very Happy ...

There are some of us that are "All or None" personalities...I wish I were less that way, but if any of you have those same tendencies, I'm sure you understand.
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 5:49 am     Re: Could YOU give up steel guitar?

So, according to you, Ray, both Buddy Merrill and Johnny Sibert had:
Quote:

...chosen to give up the bright lights, booze, drugs,BIG MONEY, worldly travels and an abundance of great looking women.........

Do you have any reason to think that? Did either of them ever say any such thing?

Seems like a pathetic, dishonest, cheap-shot at two fine musicians to me.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 6:10 am    

I could , no problem... I like to play, but no longer have that youthful "burn", where music was all consuming.. It has proven counter productive all too often in my life.. If I had to play for free on a regular basis, I simply would stop.. As long as there is some folding money involved, no I would not quit, not yet..
However to be brutally honest, if there was NO money involved, and I had a chance to play for 500 people, or go fishing by myself.. The rods get tossed in the jeep, and the steel case, amps, pac seat collect dust...
Playing is still comfortable and natural to me, and I enjoy it just fine.. It is no longer exciting, exhilarating, and magical. Unless its for very good cause, I am in a "no pay/no play" mode at this point in my life and musical "career"... sorry if my reply seems negative... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 6:15 am     give up playing??

nope,

i have to many years invested in playing. right now
not playing with any band but, that might change. i like to pick a lot. still learning every day

p.w
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 7:01 am    

I think much of that relates to what Van Morrison said about loving music but being much less enthusiastic about the music business.I'm sure a lot of "name players" have gone right on playing after the spotlight passed on to others,and my sense is that comparatively few serious players have given up the instrument entirely.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 7:08 am    

In a way I really would like to be able to give it up.

Rather than go out and gig, any day I'd much rather stay home and woodshed, just to learn more about music and the steel. Unfortunately since I never was smart enough to get a real career, at 62 I'm finding my options are getting thinner than my hairline.

So until I can get that greeter at Walmart gig.... Oh Well
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 8:13 am    

For me, gigging is still fun but only because I've not had to do it full time so it hasn't become a drudge. Growing as a musician is what's really important to me and I have to gig in order to lock in the gains I've made in the woodshed... Plus, of course, it's always gratifying to see that people appreciate the hard work you've invested. The highest compliment I ever receive, in my mind, is when someone says "you sound better every time I hear you".
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 8:35 am    

Last Saturday, I had the notion of giving up, for similar reasons that Bob and Rick gave. Surely not to walk away from fame and money, more for lack of interest of the public.
I wrote on facebook that after April (probably the only steel playing gig for this year) I will give it up. The replies I received made me think twice, because many people seem to like the instrument and me playing it.

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 9:05 am    

I should be practicing right now, but ...
Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 9:51 am    

sure i could.....ive done it 100s of times
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 11:51 am    

I can see where I would quit gigging, but I don't think I would just quit playing.Like others have commented, it's not a real "burn" anymore, and I can pass up a gig or take it, most of the time I would druther pass. I have become somewhat selective too. Not that I am any great picker and a gift to music, but the days of playing with drunks, dope heads, guys/gals who cant play, guys/gals who dont know when to STOP playing, cross dressers, and ego maniacs just dont bring me out of the house anymore. The bux these days gets less all the time too, but if I did it for $$$ I would have quit 60 years ago....lol
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 1:34 pm    

I gave it up for about 4 yrs, back in the late 80's, early 90's. I was building our vaca, retirement home in the country. I just put everything away and quit. I didn't even listen to much music, back then. Then, I was getting this strange feeling of restlessness, overcoming me. Everything else was fine, my family, my job, friends. But, there was something missing and it was gnawing at me. I knew what it was, but, was apprehensive about returning to the scene again. I needed to play again to fill the void in my heart, though. I've been playing music since I've been 8 yrs old and it really is a part of my life. I need it to feel complete. And yes, there are a whole lot of negative aspects to continuing playing, when, the money isn't good or the players are sub- par, the equipment is too heavy and so forth and so on. But, I need to continue to keep playing. I don't know how many more years of this Ill have left, so, it's important to keep picking. I never had any delusions of getting rich or famous, just playing good steel guitar and getting better at my chosen instrument. There's a " oneness " I have with the steel when I'm playing it. It becomes an extension of my body and soul. I don't know if anyone else can understand that but, it's true. I know others have different ideas and that's their prerogative. We've all been down the road and there's different stops for different people but, I have to go to the end to fulfill my happiness.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 2:29 pm    

There's no way I could give up steel guitar. I've been playing for fourteen years now and I can't let go of it. There are some days where I might not play, just because I'm enjoying other things in life, but I'm a steel guitarist regardless. I can take little breaks, but givin' up ain't an option. I always tell myself that if I ever gave up steel guitar, I'd be very upset with myself. When I'm taking breaks, I look for songs to play or learn for a show or to play at my church when I play there, but quittin' will not happen for me. This year on Christmas Day, it'll be fifteen years for me as a steel guitarist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 2:19 am    

I was just talking to another steel player recently about this subject. Taking our drivers license may be easier.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 4:05 am    

well seeing I never actually achieved any fame or fortune I would say I have nothing to walk away from !

Now I have added other instruments for gig duty and have gone back to more guitar than in previous years while playing less Steel... but give it up ? Nahh... I don't see that ever happening...

Plus if I sold my D10 which is sitting setup in my music room I would have nothing to trip over... Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 6:35 am    

It depends on what you mean by give it up and walk away. I have played music in bars, clubs, VFW, American Legion, ETC. since I was 15. Im now 38. I just started with the steel guitar about 2 years ago. I will never stop playing, because I enjoy it. I don't really care about playing clubs and bars and stuff because I have a wife and children and a full time job. Would I give up trying to make money playing gigs? Absolutely! I have. But give up music? Never. I can still play at home or with friends occasionally and have a great time.

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 7:01 am    

I'm thinking of completely retiring from music and selling all my equipment. I have don't have the burning desire anymore. Maybe it has something to do with turning 60.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 7:18 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I'm thinking of completely retiring from music and selling all my equipment. I have don't have the burning desire anymore. Maybe it has something to do with turning 60.

Well Bill, being a couple years OVER 60 I still have a good desire to play but what has left the building is the desire to keep buying gear !

Oh and those late gigs are a thing of the past as well..

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 7:28 am     Re: Could YOU give up steel guitar?

Ray Montee wrote:
….BIG MONEY...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing