| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country music today
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 6:27 am    

Is this what it has come to?

http://www.baltimorebrew.com/a-review-of-jason-aldeans-1114-concert-at-baltimore-arena
Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 7:05 am    

Yes, until something worse comes along.

GB
Dave Little

Atlanta
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 7:30 am    

Take 2 of these and call back in the morning:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mikkidaniel

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tammrae3
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 7:33 am    

Dang!Somebody really,really doesn't like country music.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 9:05 am    

Could be a spot-on review of just about any large-venue concert these days..
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 4:04 pm    

Finally someone recognizes crap.
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 1:05 am    

Judging by the content of this thread, it seems like the younger country artists are divided into two camps: male artists appear to be gravitating more toward rock music and female artists appear to lean more toward traditional country music. Question

Cowden, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 4:39 am    

Every generation thinks their music is "the real deal." If it all sounded the same, their would be no Buddy Holly, Elvis, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. Nobody is forcing anyone to listen to anything....yet!
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 5:45 am     Ouch !

Well... To quote a song, "country ain't country no more". If the writers would write better songs for the pluggers to plug,maybe just maybe we could get our culture back. But every dipstick marketing genious from New York wants nothing more than to homogenize,marginalize,and feminize the common everyday man. When this happens,we get crappy redneck rock from Jason Aldeen and Florida Georgia Line. There is a video on Youtube titled "why country music sucked in 2013. It's so telling...YMMV

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 6:48 am    

It is true that music changes. I have disc jockey friends who have told me music changes about every 10yrs and that seems to be the case. My problem with country today is I wish they would not call it country, call it something else. When Elvis and others started they sometimes toured with country artists and was that called country? I don't remember it being called country and it was a hit. To me the only connection to country today is that it comes out of Nashville and because of that it is called country. For those who like it that's fine. I prefer music in which the words are understandable and have some meaning and the melody is not just a series of chords thrown together. To me if the melody cannot be played as an instrumental and recognized by the listener, then there is not much of a melody.
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 7:12 am    

If you want country, forget Nashville and get some cd's of the acts down in Texas, the home of real country music today!!

Should say not all are new artists. Some have been around for years but now recording in Texas. ie:

Leona Williams
Norma Jean
George Hamilton lV
Tony Booth
Dottsy
Dugg Collins

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 6:18 am    

Dave Hopping wrote:

Judging by his review, I'm guessing the writer DOES like country music, but that night country music was nowhere to be found.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 11:27 am    

Dave Little wrote:
Take 2 of these and call back in the morning:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mikkidaniel

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tammrae3

Ah.....I feel better now!
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 12:26 pm    

Don R Brown wrote:
Dave Hopping wrote:

Judging by his review, I'm guessing the writer DOES like country music, but that night country music was nowhere to be found.

Well,WE likely wouldn't call it country music.More likely we'd say it was old recycled rock and roll sweetened up for folks too mature for the in-your-face-we-don't-trust-anyone-over-21 stuff.But that's what pop-country has always been.Right now it seems to draw from '70s corporate/Southern rock mashed up with (for once,and unaccountably) intelligible rap.Seventies pop-country drew upon the most cringeworthy aspects of San-Francisco-with-flowers-in-your-hair.Which also had some in-your-face-we-don't-trust-etcetera stuff going on.

Nice to see some continuity. Rolling Eyes
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 4:09 pm    

Dave Hopping wrote:
Well,WE likely wouldn't call it country music.More likely we'd say it was old recycled rock and roll sweetened up for folks too mature for the in-your-face-we-don't-trust-anyone-over-21 stuff...

I wish you wouldn't say things like that, Dave. It's giving rock and roll a bad name. Winking

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 5:15 pm    

b0b,I argued with myself for quite awhile over whether giving rock and roll a bad name was bad for rock and roll as music or good for rock and roll as the standard-bearer for badass-ness.At this point I can't tell who's winning that argument,but I did discover that classical metalheads share our dyspepsia over new music.Here's a link to a Daily Dot article(with video) about a Japanese phenomenon.Check it out and spare a little sympathy for the likes of Ozzy and Deep Purple:

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/babymetal-metal-japanese-pop/

Last edited by Dave Hopping on 9 Mar 2014 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 5:31 pm    

Baby metal smokes!
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 3:33 am    

If I do a brain transplant/trade-o-rama with a 14-year-old would I be him and he be me, or would I just get a new liver and set of tendons to wear out? He'd be pretty much screwed, huh.
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 8:20 am    

What defines country music today doesn't have anything to do with the "music" part of it. It's just songs with a sentimental view of rural life. You could literally have a reggae "country" song so long as the lyrics mention a pickup truck. Most of its fans didn't grow up in rural areas so it doesn't matter to them how accurately the sentiment is captured. I grew up in a rural area and so I can distinguish.

This is ironic since much of the classic country people on this forum love doesn't cling so tightly to rural themes. Many of the great songs have absolutely nothing to do rural v. urban/suburban life. If you ask me, as a general matter, country music fans brought this degradation of the genre on themselves by making it about "culture" instead of about well-crafted, thoughtful songs.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 9:21 am    

Quote:
If you ask me, as a general matter, country music fans brought this degradation of the genre on themselves by making it about "culture" instead of about well-crafted, thoughtful songs.

Food for thought, Curt. Sadly, I think well-crafted thoughtful songs are nearly irrelevant in todays culture...
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 9:45 am    

Sorry if my post just sounds like it's trying to aggravate people. Country music at it's finest is as good a genre as the very best in the musical world. I'm just irritated when people are confused and upset by the direction country music has taken.

I guess you could say that country music is inherently associated with the culture of rural America, but that doesn't mean it has to be the central theme. As far as I know, country music tends to have a more deeply personal lyrical content than other genres like folk, rock, or jazz. Folk music is absolutely intertwined with culture because the stories it tells are associated with specific times and places. Classic country music usually isn't that way in my experience. The common themes in the stories it tells could apply almost anywhere at anytime.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 9:57 am    

Well Country isn't going anywhere soon. Heck, look at Dixieland Jazz? Music does change and goes through phases. One thing that is changing is there appears to be more of a demand for live music and almost and less of gimmicks people, are wanting the real deal. I remember my father was convinced the Beatles were the end for Country Music.
So your right Country as you knew it will continue a downhill slide, but Music will do just fine! There is a lot of opportunity for the Steel Guitar for those that have the passion to pursue it and participate in the new music.
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 10:25 am    

I think how country music has changed is different than for other genres. In other genres you can usually hear the musical roots and they're unmistakable. In newer country music, they pay lip service to classic country roots with lyrical references and little instrumental hooks, but often the musical roots lead elsewhere.

Also, it seems the audience has changed drastically. I'm not old enough to know for sure, but it seems that decades ago most country music was written by mature adults for mature adults.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 11:05 am    

I think you are right Curt, it is difficult to compare the changes in Country with the changes in popular music. I think it is interesting that the british love of the Blues really created the advent of rock, but the roots of Country go back to Jimmy Rodgers and OMG the Blues! Could they have the same roots.
Wayne Neal

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 8:28 pm    

Sadly I think its more of a beauty contest than music...when was the last time you seen some one who could play or sing realy good and looked like they fell out of the ugly tree?

I got a friend that was singing in Nashville last weekend and a "NEW" country artist came up to him and said. "You sound good kid but no one down here wants that traditional crap and you need to loose about 50 pounds."

Jamey Johnson is some one "new" I guess that I enjoy playing and listening to...but you dont hear much on the radio about him.