| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More thread size questions
Scotty Wenzel

Lawrence, KS
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 3:09 am    

Hi all,

I am needing to replace a couple of rods on my early 70's Fender Student 10 (http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=259965&highlight=). What thread size do I need to use for the 1/8" rods that this guitar uses?

As always, many thanks for your kind assistance!
Scotty
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 5:27 am    

The 1/8" rods on my MSA Classic use #5-40 . The changer, spacer tubes and nylon tuning nuts on that guitar look a lot like an MSA. That explanation also appears to make historical sense.

Maybe.

I could be wrong*, but I believe that #5-40 is between #4-40 and #6-32, in general. Lowes will have #4 and #6 hardware, but not necessarily #5. So you might be able to do a Goldilocks - this one is too small, this one is too big - on the hardware that way.

*sure looks that way, but I have not verified this, and I have a bias towards 5 being between 6 and 4.

But please understand that I don't know for a fact that this is true for your guitar. This is one of those cases where having a good hardware store in town is worthwhile. If there's a hobby store that "does" model airplanes, they may also be able to help you evaluate parts. They won't have any #5 screws/dies/nuts but they'll have an eye for it.

They'll also probably like looking at the guitar if you drag it down there Smile And this assumes none of the steel-mechanic-pros on the forum live close enough to you to interact with.
Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 5:41 am    

The rods on this guitar will be Ø.109 (7/64") and have a #5-40 thread rolled on the end. You won't be able to source these except from one of the builders. These are the same as all of the mid '70's Sho~Buds as that's who built them.

Ø.125(1/8") rod won't go through the bell cranks as the holes are too small.

I'll have some of these rods available at the Dallas show and when I get my website back up in a couple of months.

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/
Scotty Wenzel

Lawrence, KS
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 5:59 am    

Thanks guys. Appreciate the assistance. Michael, I assume by your comments that a 7/64" welding rod or similar is not readily available from local welding supply companies? Or is there some other source? Sorry, but I really need to get this project finished quickly and can't wait wait for a couple of months....

Thanks again!
Scotty
Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 7:20 am    

Scotty, the 7/64" welding rod is too small for the #5-40 thread, however, you can thread a #4-40 on it. Just make sure that you substitute the correct size tuning nut.

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/
Scotty Wenzel

Lawrence, KS
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 7:29 am    

Thanks again Michael, appreciate your help! When you mention the correct size tuning nut, I'm assuming that I'd need to buy a 1/8" tuning nut and since it essentially threads itself when you first install it on the rod, the #4-40 thread should be fine?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 1:09 pm    

I don't think a â…›" hole in the nylon would grip the threads. You'd want either 7/64 or 3/32, so that it'd grip tight on the threads.