| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin SU12
Marty Letz

Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 3:56 pm    

Looking for some help for insurance reasons to get my Franklin SU12 covered I need to come up with an estimate dollar figure and as these guitars went crazy expensive what are opinions on a 1994 single neck universal, 7X5 with extended Z lever for my vertical, 8-9 on over all guitars appearance and playability, dark medium green. Bill Rudolf at Williams guitars said I could get $6000 without batting an eye. Any thoughts? Not trying to get over on anyone just don't want to short myself if god forbid something happens to it. Thanks, Marty
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 5:01 pm    

I'd try for ten. Although it's probably irreplaceable exact, since Franklin 12s are rare, and owners unlikely to sell.
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 6:00 pm    

What's comparable that's still in production?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 6:30 pm    

In economic terms, probably only Fulawka. That's the only guitar that appreciates. And economic terms are the only ones relevant to an actuary.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 1:05 am    

Marty, Being as there is no way to replace it the value is hard to pin down. With musician's insurance you are paying for every dollar's worth you are insuring. I would value it at how much money it would cost to have something built you would really be happy to play. If it is part of an overall household insurance I would ask Mr. Franklin to write you a letter saying what he would charge to make one if he wanted to again.

If it is a single body teal color Frankin it may be the one I had built. I sold it to a guy from Dallas when I bought my first D10 Franklin. It is an amazing steel ! I bought the laminate from an Italian company. Mr. Franklin said he had to double it the mica up to have it fit right and it ended up being the best sounding 12 string he ever made.

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 6:54 am     Franklin U12

When I purchased a few items from Paul Sr. 3 years ago we were discussing my U12 and he said the last 2 he built were a year before that. A U12 on a single frame was $7000. and one on a double frame was $8000. Check with him for a more current value, I'm certain he would be willing to help.