| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bud Carter: steel guitar innovator
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 10:38 am    

It would great if forum members would contribute to this thread, listing and discussing inventions, innovations and contributions of Bud Carter's to the evolution of the pedal steel guitar. Let's think of this as Chapter Bud in the big book of PSG. I don't know enough to even get started--I know that major stuff happened, wherever he was, but I can't first-hand attribute anything. Since I'd like some semblance of historical accuracy, my guesses and hunches don't count for anything.

Discuss?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 10:52 am    

After Bud left MSA, he developed the original MCI guitar. I think this was the first guitar to use square cross rods. I could be mistaken about that.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 11:46 am    

Had the privilege of meeting and speaking to Bud at a few Dallas shows, he is a real gentleman, and took the time to answer all my stupid questions.A real giant of the steel guitar world.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 1:44 pm    

Didn't he come up with that gear-down linkage for the B-pedal, to help time the 3rd and 6th strings?
Maybe somebody could post a pic of that? (I don't have a Carter here).
David Rogerson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 3:40 pm    

Bud working at MSA, October, 1971.
[/img]
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2014 11:06 am    

Pete--I don't know that Bud thought of that (a fair assumption, though, no?) but Carter is the only place I've seen that gear-down.

Since I changed to a wound 6th, I cut that out of the pull-train and went direct (since the wound 6th is much much closer to the 3rd string in length of pull.)

Many people have questioned the need--their guitar doesn't have it and they get along just fine. I don't have a rebuttal.
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2014 6:11 pm    

Didn't Bud come up with the nylon tuning system? I thought I read that here on the forum somewhere.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2014 7:04 pm    

I believe Bud is still with us. Why not have someone who knows him get the story. I'm sure Bud would love to tell.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 4:22 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I believe Bud is still with us. Why not have someone who knows him get the story. I'm sure Bud would love to tell.

+1
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 6:24 pm    

Here's the gear-down mechanism on my D10:-

I've outlined it in a red box; B-pedal cross-shaft bellcrank connected by a short rod to what I call an "idler cross-shaft" which has another bellcrank attached to it which carries the pull-rod to the changer. Note the two bellcranks on the idler cross-shaft are oriented opposite to each other.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.