| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty Young Article In No Depression
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 7:46 am    

An article with Rusty Young in No Depression: http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/after-45-years-rusty-young-announces-he-ll-put-poco-to-rest-in-a
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 9:29 am    

thanks chris...that was very interesting.
my heart was probably with early poco more than any other group at the time.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 9:44 am    

Thank you! I'll read it whole on another day. "Picking Up The Pieces" is their best, but I also like their later output. I remember "Call It Love" with the "English" rhythm section being played on American radio in the eighties, but this was a little to MOR for me Oh Well

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 11:10 am    

He says some incredible things in that interview. I met Rusty once or twice when I was with Ronstadt, but I wish I'd gotten to know him better before I moved to TX.

I really enjoyed the part where he compares how he tours to how the Rolling Stones tour... having to drag his gear to and from the gig, set up the stage himself, etc. Yes, there still is a lot of glamour in the music biz. Wink

Awesome interview!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 1:42 pm    

If anybody knows Rusty, I'd really like you to ask him if he first met Buffalo Spingfield the night his local band, the "Boenzee Cryque" played 3rd billing on a show in Denver in the late 60's that also had the Bryds as the headliners?

If so, then I might've been there for that historic moment! Cool

Rusty used to play in all the teen clubs in my neighborhood with that band, playing most of of the guitar parts of the hit rock tunes of the day! He was always a star!
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2014 7:54 pm    

One of my favorite steel cuts of all time is Rusty Young's "Everybody's Talkin'" from the "Suite Steel" LP. Real Bebop steel. I wonder if Rusty had all ready gone through his bop period in the clubs in Colorado and took up his commercial (and innovative) style because the times called for it. I could have listened to him play bop like this all day long. On the other hand - I have listened to Rusty (and Richie) on Poco's "Good Feelin' to Know" - all day long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbdmxe8Lt2A

Last edited by robert kramer on 12 Feb 2014 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 8:02 am    

Great interview. Rusty's honesty is a testiment to his integrity. I've been a fan of Rusty's for 40 years. Congratulations to Rusty for his Steel Guitar Hall of Fame induction. Way long overdue. Smile

Last edited by Tommy White on 12 Feb 2014 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 8:58 am    

Well said Tommy.. Rusty ran the gamut. He could play sweet country ballads, chicken pick with the best of them, play screaming solos on pedal or lap, really nice dobro, and his steel through a Leslie was indistinguishable from a hammond B3/Leslie.. I know ,,I saw it in person years ago.. Not to mention that he was also a fine banjo picker, guitarist, songwriter, and vocalist.. Amazing that he NEVER sang with POCO until the 1980's..
He wrote and sang Crazy Love ,and sang Call it Love, the 2 biggest hits POCO ever had!,,,
I saw a magazine interview with him where he said he didn't consider guys like himself and Pete Klienow, as "professional " steel players!..
Boy I always considered him a professional steel player thats for sure..
The man has some really formidable talent.. I hope he enjoys his retirement, but something tells me his will be a "working retirement".. He's got too much music left to stop completely. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Bob Knetzger

Kirkland, WA USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 10:11 am    

I sure saw my share of Poco shows back in the day and loved all the cool things Rusty did to make the steel fit whatever was happening musically.

I saw and met him years later at a show in Sheboygan. Not a glamorous gig, but a nice crowd of his old fans. Rusty pulled up in the rental van he was driving, loaded out the gear, set up his steel, changed all the strings and tuned up, got food for his bandmates, checked sound, visited with and signed autographs with fans, and then put on a great show (George was with them as it was 2001). Great attitude, totally friendly and taking care of business at the same time. Nice guy and total pro all around.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 10:20 am    

Quote:
Anytime you have Neil Young involved in anything, there’s going to be chaos and there was chaos then and there will continue to be as long as Neil Young is involved in it I suspect.

Interesting comment regarding the last days of Buffalo Springfield when Rusty was around the studio for "Kind Woman."

A few of us here were in attendance at one of the pair of Buffalo Springfield reunion shows two and half years ago at the Fox Theater in Oakland, I believe there were five in all after they had appeared at Neil's annual Bridge School benefit the prior fall and decided to go out on the road as the Springfield.

Everyone in the band was apparently stoked after the five show warmup tour and plans were for a 30 city program, then the word was that Neil changed his mind and that was the end of that.

The man definitely marches to his own drummer. What was true in 1968 apparently is still true today! Winking

Germany
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 10:29 am    

"Buffalo Springfield Again" is similar to "The White Album" by the Beatles and the Byrds reunion album. Nobody was in the studio at the same time. Solo projects not a group effort.

Sorry, I meant "Last Time Around".
Still one of the best albums ever made in my opinion, and they were only in their twenties.

Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2014 4:26 pm    

Great article. Thank you Chris for sharing it and thank you Rusty for decades worth of inspiring music.
Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2014 11:52 pm    

Great article, I'd love to read his book when he gets it done.
Gregory Ide

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 8:00 pm    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-6j7JvmXIo

Rusty Young's real name is Norman Young, so Rusty could pocket the refund for Neil's airline tix that said N. Young.

Greg Ide
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 8:37 pm    

Great story.
Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 6:18 am    

Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Rusty's tuning as shown in Winnie Winston's book has always interested me - no f lever and the g#-f# lower is on the same knee as the e lowers. Not sure I could cope with that!
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 6:47 am    

Just saw that Richie Furay and his band are playing in South Orange, NJ on May 17 with special guest Rusty Young.

So he's retiring from Poco but thankfully, not from playing.

I'll be ordering my tickets soon.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 7:14 am    

Richie Furay played a gig in Portland a few years back and was great.
I hope he is coming to Portland again.
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 7:58 am    

Richie's site hasn't posted the show yet but, my buddy saw it on the Venue website and I checked and confirmed it.
I know that Richie is doing a new CD of which John Macy is producing so, it looks like he we be on the road promoting it. Would be good if Rusty goes on the whole tour.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days