| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Frustation Of My Addiction !
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 3:58 am    

So after having taken some time away from the PSG, I've started to play more in the past few months. I've had three nights off this week and I have put that spare time to good use by working out some tone gremlins in my rig. So as I have been wood shedding I have been trying to work out some instrumentals when the epiphany hit me....I am a very MEDIOCRE steel player ! I've been trying to fight the urge to place my head in the door jam of my steel front door and repeatedly slam it open and closed, causing a subdural hematoma ! Ever get to this point ?

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 7:09 am    

Dustin, after two years of learning, I would be very happy to suddenly become a VERY MEDIOCRE steel player, but if I keep at it maybe some day I'll get there! Very Happy

Even as a relative newcomer I have hit the brick wall a time or two, followed a few days or a week or two later by learning some new facet and getting re-inspired. We've talked about it here and there are two opinions - one is take some time away and get refreshed, the other (which I use) is discipline yourself to keep working even when you don't feel like it.

You will have to decide which fits your situation but as long as it is fun I'll keep plugging away. Hopefully you will also.
Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 8:21 am    

I am there...Shocked

I have only been at lapsteel seriously for about 1 1/2 years, and I suck....I look forward to reaching mediocre! Laughing

If your having fun then why worry about it? I have done two jams & a 5 song "performance" in the last few weeks and have not got beat up or laughed at, so why not go for it?

If I could make the Columbus jam i would be there and show ya what "bad" sounds like! Whoa! Laughing Cool
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 8:24 am     About those LEARNING PLATEAUs

The process of learning an entirely unfamiliar subject is not an overnight proposition.

At first, you make significant, quick gains.......

Then you'll find you've hit a plateau and it seems like you're going nowhere but with some time, what you've initially learned will take on a new and beneficial meaning to you. Then it's off to the next learning task.

This is repeated over and over in increments. You might not be able to measure it at the time, however learning/acquiring is factually taking place.

Just jump in with both feet. Don't listen or believe everything you see/hear on this forum or from anyone else. Chart your course, follow it with vigor and one day you'll arrive at your destination.
Good Luck to you.

It's okay to keep your eyes/mind open to 'clues' about how to play but stick to your original plan.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 8:32 am    

Well, I've never been to that extreme, but, I've been down that road before. You can't play that phrase or you can't find the right chord. So frustrating! What I usually did was play what I knew and sharpened the skills I had. I worked on my picking, bar control, volume pedal use and intonation. Over and over, on familiar tunes. It develed muscle memory and would correct bad habits. Eventually, the more I played, the more I would become accustomed to the workings of this demanding instrument. Several times, I took a hiatus from playing, but, I found that it only made me feel a little empty. Something was missing and it was my steel playing. I don't know if any of this helped, but, just keep on playing and eventually it will come to you. I promise! It's a daunting task to master, but, when you do, you'll be so happy that you did.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 8:52 am    

When I started PSG I always looked back each fall and recounted how much I had learned in the previous year. I made statements to myself like..."now this is something I coulld not do last year, I couldn,t use the 10,8,6 grip, Oh, so that's what the 2nd string does! wow these three notes here are the same s these three notes..." little by little you come to realize and measure your progress. And it never stops. It might slow down but it never stops.
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 9:01 am    

When I play, it eases my soul. So I play. I learn, I learn some more, I keep learning. I don't feel well when I don't play every day. Something always needs attention. Mediocre is a subjective construct.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 10:31 am    

It took me the first ten years just to work my way up to the bottom.. Oh Well Winking

Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 15 Feb 2014 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 11:10 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
It took me the first ten years just work my way up to the bottom.. Oh Well Winking

Now that's one of those quotes worth remembering! I like it!
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 3:00 pm    

That's a good one Barry, as I am celebrating my tenth year this year. I'm better than I was then....maybe I am setting the bar to high,but I always have. I had a principal in school who told me that if you set your bar really high and fail, you still would have achieved more in failure than if you set the bar low and reached your low goal. That philosophy has stuck with me since the eighth grade...that was a very long time ago Whoa! ! Thanks and keep it going.

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 6:26 am    

Accomplished orchestra players that have reached there 10,000 hour mark in a questionable period of time, Call themselves accomplished. That road has alot of hills to climb carrying one instrument,
Being a novice at the PSG , I never heard of anyone ever saying that they were an accomplished steel player. The guys that are out there that have much more than 10k are great teachers album artists and there price is very reasonable considering the time they`ve put in. I think they`re accomplished but they don`t ever say they are, ???
They seem to say "I hope I`ve gotten better throughout the years" I love that about them.

Just my thoughts

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 8:59 am    

On a Gearwire video, Chicago steeler and forum member Joel Paterson said his teacher told him that "it takes two years to suck."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA9D7NYwwKw
I think that sums it up pretty well.
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 1:39 pm    

Very Happy Dustin it takes a lot of patience and practice to feel good about your playing . The steel guitar can bring you to your knees at times . Then you have to walk away for a while . I put mine under the bed for 6 years . Then when i started playing again there seemed like some new doors opened for me . After a while i even changed my style as you know . The steel is the most challenging instrument anyone can play , or at least that is my opinion . Hang in there my friend , it will get better as you go . Your buddie . G.P.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 2:38 pm    

I don't know how old you are Dustin but these feelings can last up until you're 58 years old.

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 7:09 pm    

Yeah and then some Mr. Wood .
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 7:10 pm    

I hear ya fellas. I just need to buckle down and really work on my approach and phrasing. I'll get there....hopefully sometime in the next few years. Shocked

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2014 5:55 am    

Dustin Rigsby wrote:
I hear ya fellas. I just need to buckle down and really work on my approach and phrasing. I'll get there....hopefully sometime in the next few years. Shocked

Trouble is....by the time you get "there", you will have set your sights even farther and want to be there Laughing I sometimes have to remind myself that - while I may not even be up to "suck" level yet - a year ago I would have been happy to be able to do what I can do now. And no doubt that this time next year I'll feel the same way. It never ends - and that's a good thing.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2014 6:00 am    

Dustin, we can all relate! I've been plain lap steel since the late 80s and I can still pick up a standard guitar and play rings around myself with that instrument. Recently, I seem to be having intonation issues with my electric playing so that everything I record sounds like total crap on playback. It's discouraging but we need to break through these blockages.

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2014 6:05 am    

Dustin, something popped into my head last night which might make you feel a little better. Maybe the reason you don't sound so good is because you're getting better! Now before you think that sounds like doublespeak from a politician, I'll explain.

When I first started, it didn't take much to make me happy. I could force 3 fingers to the right grip, play I-IV-V chords sliding up the fretboard and was thrilled I could play something. Well, I'm way past that stage but it seems as I try new things and re-set my sights on what I want to learn next, I'm more aware of little (and sometimes big) things I'm doing wrong. Stuff that would not have even caught my attention back then but now I see areas I am deficient on.

I'm sure that even after 10 or even 20 years, we hear or see things we don't like about what we do. And the more refined or subtle those things are, the better a player it takes to notice them. So before you consign yourself to mediocrity, consider that maybe the improvement you have made over the years has helped you recognize the areas you want to improve.

Sorry if this rambles a bit, but if recognizing a problem is the first step in correcting it, your dissatisfaction with your playing shows you are actually good enough to know what comes next. Hope that helps!

(I've got to copy this post and save it for the next time I "hit the brick wall" so I can follow my own preaching! Wink )
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2014 6:12 am    

The problem is that the more you learn and can do........the more you see that you have just scratched the surface.........it is a never ending quest. A ten string, three pedal and five kl E9th has more than enough to drive any one crazy in a life time. Add a half stop and that opens up many more doors.
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2014 5:28 pm    

Yeah I hear what you guys are saying. I recently listened to an EP that I cut with my former group about 5 years ago. I was pretty satisfied with it back then,but, now I just have to cringe every time I listen. I keep thinking I should have tried a little harder,but,I remember how hard I worked to get to that level. It was my first time really playing pedal steel with a functioning band. Thanks for helping me get some perspective.

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2014 5:56 pm     Your reaction was typical................

I too have experienced this dilemma........

After a conversation with JERRY BYRD, he explained to me that he seldom if EVER, listened to any of his own recordings. One is always able to figure how they could have done this or that a different way.

I dug up some old records I had recorded at age 14 and while some were really advanced for my young age, they really make me cringe. That's life, I guess.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2014 7:37 pm    

Roual Ranes wrote:
The problem is that the more you learn and can do........the more you see that you have just scratched the surface.........it is a never ending quest.

There is an old expression about the journey being more important than the destination...I think it applies to most pursuits in life.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 6:59 am     Re: Your reaction was typical................

Ray Montee wrote:
I too have experienced this dilemma........

After a conversation with JERRY BYRD, he explained to me that he seldom if EVER, listened to any of his own recordings. One is always able to figure how they could have done this or that a different way.

I dug up some old records I had recorded at age 14 and while some were really advanced for my young age, they really make me cringe. That's life, I guess.

One of my greatest regrets in life is that I did not start playing steel guitar as a teen.
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 8:46 am    

Kevin, I really wouldn't let that be a regret. I don't know how old you are but when I was a teenager there wasn't a lot of information about PSG around. As b0b says in the intro to the forum, once the internet age came, info was flowing in from all directions, you can learn a lot just doing searches (although execution of said material still requires good old fashion seat time).

I guess what I'm saying is with the lack of instructional material and not many players around at the time, I may have given up and went on to other things.

There's a time and place for everything, and even though I'm in my late 50's now, I think now is a good time to have started, with the wealth of information now available and the Forum to communicate with other players, it's a good time to get going.

Just my 2 cents of an opinion, YMMV.