| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Session 400 vs Session 400 ltd
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 7:31 am    

It seems the cabinets are about the same size. What is the difference in controls, sound etc? Why ltd, they had one in a smaller cabinet years ago.

Is this a forerunner of the N400? I feel they may not have been to popular.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 8:57 am    

The 400 Limited came out late in the run of the N400, possibly a short-lived successor, possibly concurrent.
Its EQ system was op amp-driven.
IMO it sounded better than the N400 and N1000.
I believe that ANYTHING Session sounds better than ANYTHING Nashville.
But I don't think that the Limited sounded as good as the 500 or possibly the big Session 400 (but is better than the LTD: I think the cabinet has something to do with it).
The Limited didn't have anything but reverb, like the Nashville (but the original 400 had a good hippie-tone tremolo), and its controls have the same labels and function as all the later amps.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 1:40 pm    

I have a couple of early 400's and a 400 Limited. Nice clean power with the Limited, but an amp with natural bite. I upgraded the chips in mine. It ran quieter, but still didn't effect the brightness of the tone enough. I use the Limited with a Furman PQ-3 to scale back the high end and bring a tighter/rounder sound to it. Paul Franklin commented on the forum, that they weren't popular because of the brightness and having to run an additional eq to bring it around.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 3:00 pm     Your welcome to borrow my Session 400

Hey, Larry!

Let me know if you'd like to borrow my Session 400.
That way you can check it out and see if it's something your interested in.

Rick
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 12:35 pm    

i couldn't dial in a tone with the session400limited.
on the other hand...plug into any session400/ltd400/nash400 and it instantly works fine.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 9:54 am    

I had a chance today to talk to Mike Brown from PV and he thought that "maybe" the idea behind the 400 ltd was to utilize the session size cabinet with the newer chips of the N400 platform at that time. Maybe a little of both worlds. Not many of them around so I guess they just moved on to the N400.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533
Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 10:24 am    

I have one of each.

There are very different.

The limited I love for the E9 and I love the old 400 for the C6.
Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 8:45 am    

I have a 400 Limited with the Lemay mod, and it's a good-sounding workhorse amp, very reliable. It had a nasally, honky midrange issue that was hard to tame before the mod. With the mod it sounds good (if you crank it up enough).
Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2014 9:59 am    

I had a 400 ltd. in the wedge cabinet quite awhile ago when they first came out. Horrible sounding amp , mid range honky sound just like the previous post. I believe this was before any mods were out but I could be wrong. I couldn''t unload that thing fast enough. Got another late 70's Session 400 with the Peavey JBL in it and loved it. Ran two of them stereo until I went to an Evans Dpr 2 rack preamp and eventually to Brad's Revelation preamp which I still use currently. The old Sessions were in storage for years until I pulled them out last spring and decided to do a cap job on the oldest one using Brad's Session 400 webpage. WOW, what a difference that made in the sound!! And it was soooo quiet you couldn't hear any hiss at all coming from it. I LOVE using it on sit in gigs now when I can't use my rack and in-ears.