| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Re-issue 705 vs original 705
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 9:13 pm    

I know this has been debated and of course tone is extremely subjective. My first experience on the new 705's was on a SD-10 Rittenberry last year. I compared this to an Emmons single coil and an original 705 and decided I was getting the best tone, for me anyway, with the new 705.

I have a set of original 705's on my GFI which previously had Emmons S/C's on it for a long time. Tonight I changed the top neck to a new 705 so I could make immediate comparisons on the same steel. I have to say that once the other re-issue 705 arrives they will be my choice on the GFI.

I know the originals are the "holy grail" of pickups and they do sound incredible. But, I find the new ones have a better clearer tone, particularly in the lower range with the larger strings. They have a better midrange as well and the highs are as crisp and clear as the originals are.

So if you're searching for the original 705 tone and can't find them, I would suggest trying the new ones. I don't think you will be disappointed! Cool
Dave
Dave Simonis

Stevens Point, WI USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 5:03 pm    

Dave, thanks for this info. I have a stock GFI II pickup on my GFI...been thinking about sticking a Truetone on it I already own - but wondered about what someone else is using and happy with. I may go the new route and try one...if you have any comparison clips I would be interested in hearing them.

Fiddle: Zeta, Arthur Conner, many others.../Steel: GFI SD-10 Ultra.../Mandolin: Breedlove.../Guitar: Gibson, Fender, Taylor.../Amps: Peavey NV112, Evans FET 500.../Others: Hilton, Goodrich, Stereo Steel, Pendulum Pre-amp...
David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 5:44 pm    

Dave, sorry but I don't have any clips for comparison. Not to knock the GFI pickups but I didn't care for any of the 1,2, or 3 GFI pickups. I had pretty good results with the George L 10-1 and better with the SS-10's. But over time I gravitated to the Emmons single coils and kept them for a few years. I found the heavier wound Emmons at 19.5K gave the best results. I think you would be very happy with a Tru-tone as long as it's not to thin sounding. Anything less than 18.5K I think would be too thin, at least in my opinion. I have found, as many others have as well, that Emmons single coils have very little hum. But I've heard a few Tru-Tones with acceptable levels as well.

I decided that with my continual hearing loss and resulting affects on how my ears are interpreting tone that I needed to try a different pickup and the 705 foots the bill.

I also want to tell you that the GFI I have is an early model, the 8th one made, and totally different in tone to the later Ultra models. I've had two ultra models tho and the change in pickups will certainly enhance the tone and response from your guitar with the GFI pickup.
Dave
David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 7:14 am    

are the old 705 for sale?
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!
David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 6:27 pm    

Hey David, I think I'm gonna hold on to them for awhile as they are very hard to find. And who knows what I will want to do next week!!!! Rolling Eyes
Dave
Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 6:23 am    

Dave Simonis wrote:
Dave, thanks for this info. I have a stock GFI II pickup on my GFI...been thinking about sticking a Truetone on it I already own - but wondered about what someone else is using and happy with. I may go the new route and try one...if you have any comparison clips I would be interested in hearing them.

Dave, I just put an Alumitone on my GFI, and so far I love the sound.All I can say about my tone with the AT is it is full bodied across the strings, with an almost accoustic sound. The AT is an unconvential type pup in design and looks.Just to look at it,I wonder how in the world it works, but work it does!
I replaced a True Tone with the AT and not sorry I did. Other than the AT, my next choice of PUP is the E-66,(for my GFI) but if you try the AT, I think you'll be pleased..............
David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 4:33 pm    

Dave, Eddie has a good point about the Alumitone as many seem to like this pickup. I had one installed on a 12 string MCI but I didn't particularly care for it. The AT has a very broad range. My problem with it was that I couldn't find a happy median. If I set the amp's EQ for clarity on the highs, it was too muddy on the lows. If I had clarity on the lows, then the highs were too bright and shrill. I decided on an E-66 and it was a perfect match at least in my opinion.

That being said, the only steels I've found that work very well with the E-66 is MCI and Emmons SKH models. Other than that I found the E-66 too bright with "ice pick" highs. The GFI 1 & 2 pickups I believe are based on the E-66 with the model 2 being a bit darker. But as I've mentioned, tone and interpretation of sound, are "VERY" subjective and dependent on many factors including the desired sound of the player.
Dave
Dave Simonis

Stevens Point, WI USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 5:14 pm    

Thanks guys. I had installed an Alumitone on my Desert Rose when I owned it and it was a great pickup. I don't mind the GFI II, still own a TT that I thought about trying...but my house is old and I know other single coils in guitars I have owned - have been noisy - so I have been reluctant to switch it out. If anyone has a GFI III they want to sell...I am up to giving that a try Wink

Fiddle: Zeta, Arthur Conner, many others.../Steel: GFI SD-10 Ultra.../Mandolin: Breedlove.../Guitar: Gibson, Fender, Taylor.../Amps: Peavey NV112, Evans FET 500.../Others: Hilton, Goodrich, Stereo Steel, Pendulum Pre-amp...