| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Randy Kohrs belly bar
Andrew King

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 12:36 pm    

I got to see Randy Kohrs killing it on lap steel at the Resosummit 2012 opening show at Station Inn. He had some kind of belly bar setup with his Duesenberg Pomona that seemed to work really well for performing standing up. I found a video on Youtube below that seems to show the same setup. Can anybody tell me what he is using for that? Is it some custom rig that he made up himself? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNpiKoXmw-U
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 12:49 pm    

Andrew - if I recall correctly, that belly bar was designed and built for Randy by Tim Scheerhorn, who from what I understand designed the belly bar that Bill Asher has available for some of his lap steels. It's either similar or maybe even identical.

You can order it from Bill and he includes installation instructions:

http://asher-guitars-lap-steels-store.myshopify.com/collections/electro-hawaiian-junior-upgrades/products/asher-belly-bar-kit-upgrade

I'm not sure if Bill will sell it to just anyone, or you already have to own one of his Electro Hawaiian Jr. guitars, but it would be worth finding out. If I can't upgrade to a fancy modern lap steel in the future, I do have a Supro that might warrant one of the bars for standup use, provided Bill would sell it to me and it would work with the design of the guitar.

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 12:55 pm    

Thanks Mark. Even though Asher presents it as an upgrade kit for the Electro Hawaiian Junior, there doesn't seem to be any reason why it couldn't be adapted to other steels. As long as you're willing to drill holes Shocked