| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gear Suggestions/Recommendations
Ryan Hulin

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 5:32 pm    

Hey all if you've read my post earlier most of ya'll know I'm new and I'm needing suggestions for good gear for my lap steel as it didn't come with any legs or a volume pedal and I'm playing with a Line 6 Spyder Jam which is a modeling amp and a few of the players on the forum said it isn't a good amp for playing steel at all so any amp suggestions would be helpful, I'm wanting to get the classic Don Helms sound as he is a player I look up to and want to sound like.
Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 7:02 pm    

Hi Ryan
I played through a line 6 once to see what it sounded like, it was my sons amp. I couldn't get a sound I liked on it. It seemed too thin made for shredding.

I would suggest any tube amp to start. Used Fender Pro JR seem to come up for about 250.00

You don't have to have a V pedal. A lot of players do not use them. It depends on what you are after
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 7:02 pm    

For me, Roland has the bang for the buck... I use the Mobile Cube for practice, it's a loud five watts stereo, with stereo reverb... and it'll run on AA's for those portable gigs.

I also use a Roland Cube 40XL for bigger gigs... it's plenty loud for a medium gig, with built-in delay and reverb. Both these amps get a great clean sound with just a little compression... I actually prefer the Mobile Cube's sound a little more than the 40XL, even though the 40XL has a 'power squeezer' setting that gives more compression and saturation (but still clean) at lower volume.

Watch your Craigslist for any of the Cube series and grab one if it goes below 50% of Guitar Center prices. I really can't recommend getting into tube amps for a beginner, not while the Rolands are so good (and indestructable).

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 7:30 pm    

I have a Roland 40 gx and love it. The smaller ones would be fine to learn on I would think.

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 12:02 am    

Hi Rayan,

For amp I also suggest a Roland Cube. If you want a volume pedal, I love having one, I suggest the Goodrich low profile. Low profile is good for lap steel. If you want to use the volume pedal a lot its good to have a stand. Mark Roeder make the best stand you can find. http://www.deluxe34.com/
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 9:15 am    

When I met Don back in '77, he was using a Fender Twin Reverb, still the best for lap steel, IMHO. I currently use a Peavey Pro 30 tube amp, and, when I'm at a festival or jamming around town I use a Roland Mini Cube. I have more or less retired my Peavey Vegas 400 - too heavy - and use the Pro 30 for pedal steel gigs. - Jack
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8