| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Teaching yourself to play
David L. Turner

Killen , Alabama
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 3:41 pm    

I'm happy to be a part of this forum because it brings people who love the pedal steel guitar together. I'm not exactly new to the steel but never have mastered it. My career was in the way. That's changed and I'm back to the world of pedal steel guitar. Now even with all the books and self studies it is driving me nuts. I have limited knowledge of basic string groups and pedals and even some music theory but programming everything in my head is going to take time. I was playing around looking for a melody to a song. Seems to be a great way to get names of positions in my head. The song is a hymn. FARTHER ALONG. I found some of it. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Comments anyone?
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 4:41 pm     Self Taught.

David, I'm 40yrs. into this contraption, and I'll never be considered a Master. But, except for some help from a session player here in Okla. named Jerry Hall, I'm totally self taught. Lucky for me, he was a MASTER, and I mean, he could cut the mustard with anybody in Nashville, including The BigE. He played a PP-Emmons, and could play lightning fast, or as smooth as silk. Buddy, Doug, Jay Dee, and all the rest still inspire me, but Jerry Hall is where my bar is set. Wish you could have heard him.