| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 8:36 pm    

What can you guys tell me about Williams guitars? Are they in business, now, or have they hung it up? I tried to call the number on the Williams website, and got a recording. Email bounced all the way back.
??????????
And what's good, or bad, about Williams guitars?
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 9:22 pm    

Williams is very much alive and well. Bill rebuilt my Williams D10 and I talked with him recently.

Best time to catch him is early in the mornings. He always answers the phone when I call so try him again Monday morning.

Gauged rollers are standard and same charge whether you order wood or Mica. His guitars have a unique changer where the string has only a slight bend over the finger vs 90 degrees on others. String breakage almost disappears. Split screws are standard. You can change pulls very easily. Very smooth pedal and knee lever action make playing his guitars a joy and they hold tuning very well.

His machine work, fit and finish is among the best out there.

Check them out and I think you'll agree Williams is a top of the line guitar.

BTW-You might notice I'm playing a Rains in the picture. My Williams was being refinished and that was a loaner.

FWIW-here is a short video last year of me subbing with a band playing the Williams.

http://youtu.be/ibW-JLveHC8

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 10:40 pm    

http://williamsguitarcompany.com/
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 3:16 am     Williams PSG

For me personally, only my opinion, three guitars standout at the top of the list. Williams is in the three. Williams are great guitars and are built with no shortcuts or cheap materials. Lacquer or mica, same price!
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 4:34 am    

I just placed my order for my second Williams. I've been playing one for the last 15 years. These are terrific steels and the support you receive from Bill Rudolph cant be surpassed. I highly recommend them.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 6:25 am    

I have 2. A model 400 and a slightly older one with no model number. Both keyless D10s. Both still playing smooth as silk!
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 10:55 am    

I have two, and will probably have another at some point. Great tone and dependability, light weight, compact, and great looking. Plus Bill is the best!
He really helped me out with a second hand S-12 Uni that I bought.... it had some user "adjustments" that put it a bit out of whack. Now, with Bill's help, the axe is great.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 11:08 am    

Stephan, you won't be disappointed. Williams guitars are top notch and the changer is probably the most innovative one I've seen. Bill will spend as much time with you as you need...he'll build a guitar that's right for you.

Over there
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 11:55 am    

Thanks, men. Dick, I can't call. I got a recording, when I called, that said something like, "this number does not exist with the area code you entered." Twice. Is there another phone number, that's not on the site? (Good tone, BTW) I've heard very few Williams guitars, but I like the way they sound. So is there another way to contact Bill Rudolph?
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 12:43 pm    

This is the number I have always used.

(763) 753-8645 or FAX: (763) 753-8644

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 12:47 pm     Williams

Stephen, I know this does not help you get a hold of Bill or Tim, but I believe just recently they were both at the Southwest Pedal Steel Guitar Assoc., Annual Show this past January (just a few weeks ago).
They are great guitars.
http://www.swsteelguitar.com/2014Show/20140117-102654_G.html
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 2:21 pm     Williams.

They were at the Phoenix Show, with a D-10, Clear Laq. with the shortest keyhead I've ever seen on a guitar. Real compact, and very well made. But it was just on display, and not plugged in. But it looked like it sounded fantastic. A very PURDY little guitar.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 4:36 pm    

That blond is wonderful! Whoo, weee!
Dennis Saydak

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 7:54 am     Re: Williams.

Bill L. Wilson wrote:
They were at the Phoenix Show, with a D-10, Clear Laq. with the shortest keyhead I've ever seen on a guitar. Real compact, and very well made. But it was just on display, and not plugged in. But it looked like it sounded fantastic. A very PURDY little guitar.

Bill, that looks like the same (or similar) guitar that the Rudolphs had on display at the Wisconsin Dairy Steel show a couple of years ago. That year Williams guitars were the most popular brand being played by the participating musicians at the show. One extremely talented fellow (can't remember his name) borrowed the blond off the display table and blew us all away with his performance. That gentleman has since passed away due to a riding mower accident.

To summarize the attributes of Williams guitar - superb quality of build & materials, excellent tone & playability and light weight.

BTW, I am the proud owner of a Williams SD10.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 11:10 am    

Williams Guitars is still building. Bill built my 8&9 laquer a year ago. Just ordered strings three weeks ago and he told me they were building seven at the time. Best guitar I ever owned.
Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 12:16 pm     and yet one more outstanding feature...

...the changer fingers(the part the string goes over) are hard chrome-plated steel. Made quite a remarkable difference in tone, separation, and clarity compared to the "400 series" guitar(aluminum fingers) that I owned prior to my present "600 series". Everything about Mr. Rudolph is total class.I have remained "mesmorized" over the years by the ultra-fine lacquer wood/color combinations that he creates. You will not be sorry! Respectfully submitted, RK

Over there
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 6:59 pm    

You guys are right. I talked to Bill today, and he was very helpful, and very nice, even though I'm not buying a new guitar. He told me all he could about the guitar, but I didn't have the serial number. I did mention this thread to him, and he sounded genuinely pleased at the comments. The kind of guy I like to do business with. So thank y'all a lot.
Bagwell, you got trouble headed your way!!! Shocked
Matthew Beall

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 4:15 am     Williams: GREAT

I have a Williams 700 series U12: it's a great guitar, very well made and easy to adjust. Stays in tune. Bill Rudolph has always responded to me promptly --- perhaps you didn't have the correct email address or phone number. Really, Bill and his son are on it, and very pleasant indeed to do business with.
Jeff Pickering

Wichita, Kansas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 6:38 am    

Williams are excellent guitars. I've had mine for almost four years now and have never broken a string. They are light, stay in tune and sound great!
Boss GX700
1969 Fender Twin Reverb w/JBL's
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 12:48 pm     Re: Williams: GREAT

Matthew Beall wrote:
I have a Williams 700 series U12: it's a great guitar, very well made and easy to adjust. Stays in tune. Bill Rudolph has always responded to me promptly --- perhaps you didn't have the correct email address or phone number. Really, Bill and his son are on it, and very pleasant indeed to do business with.

And perhaps, I DID have the right email AND phone number. And iced up phone lines, satellite dishes, and such. Bill has returned two of my calls, a couple of emails, and is a very likable man.
John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 3:05 pm    

Jeff Pickering wrote:
Williams are excellent guitars. I've had mine for almost four years now and have never broken a string. They are light, stay in tune and sound great!

Same with me Jeff, they just don't break strings, light and sound great.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 4:14 pm    

I'm the third owner of this itty bitty 400 Series Keyless S-10, 3 pedals & 5 knee-levers. This little guitar really sings. I can feel the vibes in the pedals, through my shoes. The case is about the size of a tenor sax case.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 11:41 pm    

Sweet, Lee.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 11:38 am    

I do love the tiny 400 series guitars.... either will fly under the 50 pound limit. The S-12 is 8X6, plus change lock, with about every pull on it that you could imagine. It plays and returns in tune every time.

I switched the top mount pedal rods to side mounts. Plus a couple of other 700 series upgrades.

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 4:01 pm    

Lee,

Love that S10 keyless!!

Keep me in mind if it ever goes on the market.