| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Faux (fake) split tuning on pull-release Marlen
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 4:23 am    

I lower my 6th string a full tone (from G# to F#) with my RKL knee lever on my pull-release Marlen.

On some tunes, I have to guess the amount of RKL movement to get a half-tone drop on the 6th string.

I have installed a simple, neat (even by my standards) mechanism on my Marlen which is activated by the 'A' pedal.

When the 'A' pedal is pressed, it restricts the slack in the 'B' raise rod to allow only a half-tone drop on the 6th string.

Of course, I'm losing some chords which need the 5th string full-tone raise and the 6th string full-tone lower at the same time, but I can use the open 7th string instead.

It allows me to get an accurate seventh with the 'A' pedal pressed and the RKL activated, and, for instance, lets me do Tom Brumley style licks more smoothly, such as his solo on 'The Heart That You Own'

For all you other pull-release players/tinkerers out there, this method of splitting a string by limiting the raise-rod slack might be of interest Very Happy

Edited for misleading title

Last edited by richard burton on 18 Jan 2014 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 4:43 am     6th string lower restrictor

Any pics, Richard?
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 5:36 am    

Green arrow = 'A' pedal cross-shaft

Red arrow = 'B' pedal cross-shaft

Blue arrow = fine tuner on connecting rod between 'A' and 'B' cross-shafts

Remember that I am a 'Day' player, that's why it looks like the 'A' and 'B' pedals are the wrong way around Very Happy
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 6:58 am    

"CLEAN UP ON AISLE SEVEN!"
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 3:16 pm    

Who is Faux, what kinda steel does he play?

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2014 1:19 am    

I hesitated to use the word 'faux' (which means false, fake, imitation), but convinced myself that anyone intelligent enough to play pedal steel guitar would understand what the word meant.

C'est la vie
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2014 8:30 am    

Laughing Laughing Whoa!

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2014 12:25 pm    

I'm happy to report that the same modification works excellently on my Emmons push-pull Very Happy
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2014 6:35 pm    

Do you still get your whole tone lower on 6? On my push pulls, I just lower 6 a half tone but would like to have both. What does it do to pedal feel, thanks?

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2014 10:14 pm    

Yes, this mod allows for a full tone drop, and, when the 'A' pedal is pressed (raising strings 5 and 10) an accurate, tunable, half tone drop on the 6th string.

The mod is only the addition of two bell cranks, a connecting rod, and a barrel tuner, no new screw holes or anything permanent at all.

When the 'A' pedal is pressed, the barrel tuner is adjusted to stop the backwards movement of the 'B' pedal cross shaft (when the 6th string lowering lever is activated) at the half tone point.

If the 'A' pedal is activated before the knee lever, it feels completely normal.

If the knee lever is activated first, then the point where the new barrel tuner makes contact is felt slightly when activating the 'A'pedal (on my Marlen), but for some reason cannot be felt on my Emmons.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 2:35 am    

Anything Richard does is good. I've already mentioned in previous threads that he made me a double lower on my Carter uni that is second to none for the 2nd string. No overshoot on the first lower and easy to get to the second lower....and all tunable on the left side apron, as I lower my 2nd on the LKL. That also lowers my 8th string to "D" ... He also converted the LKL and RKR on the tear drop levers on my Sho-Bud uni to "Flags" as sometimes on those particular levers it hits your knee bone. A belated Happy new year to you and Cynthia Richard.

Micky "Scars" Byrne U.K.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 12:53 am    

And a Happy New Year to you, Micky Very Happy