| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ANYTHING EVER HAPPEN IN PENNSYLVANIA that is Steel Related??
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2014 9:15 pm    

I never see anything come to my area when it comes to steel guitar events.
I live in Southern Pa (York, harrisburg , Lancaster) And would love to get to know some of you great steel players!
THanks

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2014 5:12 am    

There are a few of us in Philly and around South Jersey.
Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2014 7:35 am     Anything Ever Happen?

Jeff,
Yes, but you're too young. If you had attended Steel Session '80 '82 '84 or '86, in surbaban Philadelphia, you would have met and enjoyed Scotty, Buddy Charleton, Winnie Winston, Herby Wallace, Thumbs Carllile, Tom Brumley, Buddy Emmons, Doug Jernigan, Paul Franklin and Brent Mason as well as hundreds of steel players and fans.

Anyone else out there remember the Steel Session series?

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 1:14 am    

I certainly wish that I would have attended those!!!! I do remember Curly Chalker and Maurice Anderson performing in Kutztown, PA. Buddy Emmons put on a show at a Holiday Inn in Lansdale, PA. Incredible, to say the least. And Herby Wallace and Thumbs Carlisle had a show somwhere in eastern PA, but I do not remember where that was.They were all great shows!!!!
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 5:03 am    

Hi Jeff I think I asked you before are you related to my good buddy Skip Mertz he was from Allentown PA. and had a Bicycle Shop there and he moved to Fayettville N.C. and opened a train hobby shop with his Wife. He now owns a Hobby shop with trains Air planes race cars and a out door race track.His Hobby shop is off I-95 at exit 50. He at one time about 10 years ago had about 8 brand new D-10 Emmon's Steel guitar and is a real good Steel player. I bought a 2004 SD10 Emmon's La Grande III form him brand new.I sold it about 2 years ago.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Glenn Uhler

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 8:12 am     Codorus (sp?) Show

Jeff,
I was going to mention the show they had in Codorus (not sure of the spelling), not far from you near Hanover. However, when I searched it, looks like they haven't held one since 2009. Maybe you could contact the fellow who put on that one and do another.

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 8:40 am    

My friend Jimmy Thompson had a wonderful steel show a few years back in Washington PA. Hope he has another one it was really fun' does that sound like a hint Jimmy?
John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 9:26 am     Re: Anything Ever Happen?

Craig Baker wrote:
Jeff,
Yes, but you're too young. If you had attended Steel Session '80 '82 '84 or '86, in surbaban Philadelphia, you would have met and enjoyed Scotty, Buddy Charleton, Winnie Winston, Herby Wallace, Thumbs Carllile, Tom Brumley, Buddy Emmons, Doug Jernigan, Paul Franklin and Brent Mason as well as hundreds of steel players and fans.

Anyone else out there remember the Steel Session series?

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

I happen to see two of those, Craig (in Kulpsville at the Kulpsville Inn) and gosh they were fantastic. I'm local to that area now and sure do miss those shows. Thanks again Craig,
John Palumbo
Lansdale PA.
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 8:48 pm    

Hey Bob,

You beat me to the punch. Jim Thompson, for several years, put on one of my favorite shows. Yep, it sure would be great to get up that way again. Hey Jim, hope you're doin' well, call me some time.
Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 9:17 pm    

Mike and John,
The shows you refer to with Buddy Emmons etc., are the ones we produced at the (then) Holiday Inn at Kulpsville, PA adjacent to the Lansdale PA Turnpike exit. At Steel Session '82, we hosted Buddy Emmons, Herby, Doug Jernigan, and Winnie Winston. At Steel Session '84 again we had Buddy Emmons, Scotty, Herby and Thumbs Carllile. The last program was Steel Session '86 and featured Paul Franklin, Doug Jernigan, Herby Wallace and Tom Brumley, with Ben Brogdon on bass, Brent Mason on lead guitar and Randy Hauser on drums. Every now and then I get out the tapes and listen again. WOW. . . what a band and what a show, if I do say so myself.

Good to hear from those of you who attended. Thank you.

Best regards,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 10:02 am    

Jeff, you missed this one in your back yard (Spring Grove, PA) last April - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=244244

I made it for the first time last April and wound up sitting in with my friends Shelby Nestler and Jim Wilson, as their guitar player couldn't do the gig. Definitely worth checking out if it happens this year, lots of good music and steel guitar.

BTW, I'm in State College.
Shelby Nestler

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 4:30 pm    

Jeff, Gordie Sauble will again hold his steel guitar jam in Spring Grove this year. The date is May 4. It usually starts around 1 p.m. and goes through the afternoon.
Dave, Jim and I would be honored if you again would join us during our portion of the show. I hope all is well.
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 6:17 pm     Call Jim Cohen !!

Jeff , Forumite Jim Cohen does a lot of steel playing in the Philly area !! Check in with him for what may be happening locally !! Lancaster isn't too far away !! Our Daughter went to Villanova just down the Main Line !! Ed "C"
Jim Wilson

Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 6:36 pm     Pa Steel Players

Jeff,Iam down around your part of the state a good bit, Was just in Carlisle on Fri night and will be in East Berlin on Feb 8 at the Back Room.There are others also, Jim's Tavern in Greencastle is not all that far.Check our schedule at www.makeminecountryband.com

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 8:54 pm    

Hey, Shelby and Jim - I'll get it on my calendar. Sunday May 4, got no guitar show or gigs scheduled that weekend, should be OK. Been crazy here up th' college - will catch up when I see you.

Jeff - get over to see Shelby and Jim when they're around, they travel way more than I can keep up with, at least till I retire. Lotsa' country music, guaranteed.