| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new-to-me Emmons D10-updated with my collection
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 12:22 pm    

I thought I would post a picture of the Emmons D10 that I just got yesterday. I used to own a SD10 just like this that I sold probably 15 years ago and regretted. Hopefully I can hang onto this one Smile

Figured I might as well show the rest of the herd plus a couple of my favorite guitars.

If this is in the wrong place to post, let me know and I will delete it or move it. Thanks

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 6 Jun 2014 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 12:29 pm    

Man---sooner or later, if I'm real good...Naah, I still can't get one. That is a show car.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 12:35 pm    

Looks like a nice one.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 1:48 pm    

beautiful guitar Larry, Congratulations!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 6:13 pm    

That's a very conservative color of red, Larry. Not too brash or show-y, I like it a lot. Hope the guitar serves you well.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 9:22 pm    

Doesn't get much better than a new stringed friend. Enjoy!!
Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 10:19 pm    

You're killing me Larry, absolutely killing me! You've gone through more great guitars in this last year than I could hope to have in my lifetime. Congratulations!

Darrell
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 3:26 am    

Very nice.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 6:07 am    

Darrel,you are right....i have been trying to find just the "right" steel for me...i am just turning money over...sell one, buy one,sell one, get another...its a disease Sad
But i do think my collection and search is over,,,for now.at least. Smile. I have the JUstice for light weight and playing ease...probably the best sounding of all of them...the Emmons for my C6th fix, and my 56 Stringmaster t8 for my non pedal joys ...what more could i want...oh and the Melbert lap for traveling convenience...i dont deserve any of them

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 4 Jun 2014 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 6:55 am    

That's a fine herd. It takes a lot of patience and skill to get to where you're at in this game.
You deserve them all Larry. I'm happy for you.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 4:28 am    

Darrell, Thanks for the kind words. Perhaps we can get together on my next trip to Az in the fall. Take care and happy pickin !
Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 3:33 pm    

Very pretty Emmons...

But....

I'm liking the looks of that Gretsch too...

Mr. Green

Is that a Country Gentleman G6122-1959 in the less common single cutaway model ??

Oooooo.....

Kevin
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 3:47 pm    

Kevin
You hit it right on about the Gretsch it is the 6122-1959 model...I had the HOF model which was essentially the same guitar but was orange, had a plate that said HOF and was a limited run of 75, but I sold it, and got this one. I really didnt care for the orange, but I sure like the way these play and sound...it fits my hand just right and feels good to me, so it is my go-to guitar. Thanks.
Kevin Raymer

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 7:18 pm    

Larry,

When I was in the 8th grade my English teacher brought his Gretsch White Falcon to school one day.

It was the end of school and we were kinda just marking time till the last bell.

He got it out and played it through a little Peavey Backstage 30.

He was one of those thumb pickers and I just thought that was Soooooooo cool. That would have been like 1979 and I was deep and heavy into the likes of KISS, Journey, Molly Hatchet, etc.. So I couldn't let anybody know how cool I thought that country thumb picking was, but it made an impression.

Over 30 years later and I still think about it.

I have tasted a craving for one of those White Falcons from time to time ever since.

Thus far other things have consumed my funds, but now that I'm turning the corner on 50 and getting into pedal steel I may have to break over and buy one.

I finally broke over and acquired my dream pedal steel ( Zum D10 ), so maybe I ought to work on a White Falcon now.

Thanks for sharing the picture that sent me down memory lane.. Smile

Regards,

Kevin
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 5:52 am    

Kevin, as I am sure you know, you live close to the heart of thumb-pickin' in Muhlenberg County, Ky. Two of my favorites of all time are Eddie Pennington and Paul Moseley...you need to check them out if you arent familiar with them...and of course that was Merle Travis' stompin' grounds. I do enjoy the thumb pickin style...the annual CAAS in Nashville in July is a great place to be for that style...I have gone every year for the past 20 years, actually played at the open mic last year...that was intimidating ! Thanks for telling that story about the White Falcon,,,they are cool guitars...I owned one for a while myself. And yes I had a Zum D10 that I sold about 5 years ago and have kicked myself ever since...I had Bruce build me a black one in 1998 or so...great steels !!
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 1:08 pm    

I guess the Gretsch is okay, but the Super 400? Man, that's a guitar.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 1:55 pm    

Ken, the super 400 is a 1967..they are a great guitar...i have a Heritage Super Eagle, which is the equivalent of Gibson super 400', its an even better guitar imho. Thanks
Kevin Raymer

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 2:08 pm    

The guy that I got my first Les Paul from (a 25/50 anniversary edition) is a thumb picker from here in Bowling Green.

Chick Chandler... He was in the music store business for a thousand years it seems like.

His son, David Chandler, actually runs a store these days, Kentucky Music in Bowling Green, KY, and Chick works on guitars for him.

In his day Chick could hit a mean lick thumb picking.

I've never been over to those music events they have over there on Everly Bros Blvd in Muhlenburg Co.

Been through the Greenville / Central City area a lot, but not to music events.

It's a shame really. Living this close and never having checked it out.

Of course I live withing 15 minutes of Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park and I've only ever been in the cave twice in my life, and both of those trips were mandatory school outings... Smile

I guess locally we just take it for granted.