| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What was that creaking sound?
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 6:39 pm    

Anyone who has listened to some of Lloyd Green's tunes from the 1960's has probably heard a creaking sound at the end of the song. Anyone know what that might have been? Just curious.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 7:57 pm    

Glen you must have a keen ear. Now I'll be listening for it... name a tune where you hear it.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 10:11 pm    

Them old Sho-Buds creak. I noticed at the end of my songs when I've ended with a major chord with the A & B pedals down and back off the volume pedal till there was no sound at that point I would subconsciously release the A & B pedals and because it was quiet I would hear a creak.
Could be that or maybe this.
Some of those reel to reel tape recorders back then would come to a screeching halt when you hit the stop button.
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2014 12:29 am    

The particular songs I heard that on was from the CD Master Of The Steel Strings, and the songs were:

Green Strings
Peddle Paddle
Motel Time Again
Seven Days Of Crying

Those four songs were collected from the album The Hit Sounds, Which was recorded in 1966. That creaking probably happened at one recording session and it probably came from the pedals, or Lloyd's chair, or maybe from the reel to reel deck.
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2014 4:08 am    

I would bet it's the sound of his seat squeaking as he moves slightly. My old Sho~Bud pack seat makes the same exact noise.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2014 7:09 am    

Funny curious thing. This should end the speculation:

I listened to the 4 songs in question and can tell you this. I also hear the noise at the end of 2 of the songs and it is not my steel nor the chair (we didn’t have pac-a-seats in the 1960s and just used whatever studio chairs we wanted). The noise was not on the original master tapes because I or Al Pachuchi, the recording engineer would have eliminated it.
Now, the album (CD) in question was re-mastered almost 40 years after the original 1966 recording, in 2004, and re-released on Koch Records. The noise sounds to me like some sort of machine being stopped, turned off or otherwise disengaged. But I wasn’t there and don’t know where it came from except it wasn’t on the original mixes.
But in listening for the first time in many years I gotta say, ”Damn, that old Fingertip Sho-Bud did sound good!”

Lloyd Green
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2014 8:08 am    

Bent Romnes wrote:
But in listening for the first time in many years I gotta say, ”Damn, that old Fingertip Sho-Bud did sound good!”

Lloyd Green

I've been listening to Panther Hall a bunch lately.
Duhh.
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 7:33 am     Creaking Sound

Is probably those JUNK #$%^ Pot metal knee levers breaking, I love seeing Old Buds but i would never own another one after my LDG 1000 had a lever fall off in the MIDDLE of my ride Spot light shining on me of course.....GRRR,,, some folks in the crowd thought it was a JOKE and laughed...Ha Ha Ha... I got rid of that SOB the NEXT DAY and bought a Franklin. I Hope the Jacksons saved a LOT of money on that JUNK! POT metal
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 12:33 am    

I've heard negative reports from people who have owned those old fingertips, but I sure wish I had one just for the tone!
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 7:18 am     Re: Creaking Sound

Bill Howard wrote:
Is probably those JUNK #$%^ Pot metal knee levers breaking, I love seeing Old Buds but i would never own another one after my LDG 1000 had a lever fall off in the MIDDLE of my ride Spot light shining on me of course.....GRRR,,, some folks in the crowd thought it was a JOKE and laughed...Ha Ha Ha... I got rid of that SOB the NEXT DAY and bought a Franklin. I Hope the Jacksons saved a LOT of money on that JUNK! POT metal

I'm betting there were no pot metal levers and brackets in the days that was recorded.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 10:29 am    

Bent Romnes wrote

Quote:
Funny curious thing. This should end the speculation

It should have, but obviously it didn't..... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Steve English on 26 Jul 2014 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 6:27 pm    

Yup, it's amazing how good things sounded when we weren't really that concerned about how good things sounded. And today, with all that technology offers, and with all our concern now about how good things sound, we seldom sound as good as we did when we weren't trying that hard to sound that good?

Doesn't that sound about right? Oh Well
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 7:16 pm    

Fingertips are great guitars! Set up and adjusted right, there really aren't any tuning problems. And the sound is fantastic! IMO, far superior to most "modern" guitars.