| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Everly Brothers Lucille
David Rogerson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 12:39 am    

For years (decades) I was under the impression that the solos on this classic track
were played on guitar but in fact they were played on steel by Jimmy Day. The way he voiced what he did to me just sounded like a blues guitar. What a revelation!
The Everlys featured some attention grabbing guitar parts, especially the early tracks: Don's innovative rhythm intro's, Hank Garland's off-the-wall intro to Don't Blame Me, & James Burton's solos on Ain't That Lovin' You Baby. All of these (to me) sound as though they were played "in the moment" & ended as musical gems.
In view of Phil Everly's passing I think it is appropriate to realise the quality of their recorded work which in it's time was ground breaking.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 5:35 am    

"Lucille"
Perfect solo! Thanks for pointing this out. It starts at 1.35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8taKYuZ2HWg

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 7:24 am    

I love the sound of their voices on this one, when they sing the word "Lu-ciiiille", (the second time) especcially.

"...I asked her friends about her... All their lips were tight..."
Oh Man, I have seen that look on a girls face. Shocked

This is a rocking groove. Love the intro... Love the sound of the instruments on this recording, too.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 8 Jan 2014 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 9:37 am    

David:

I couldn't agree more! There's more of Jimmy Day on their 'Nashville Blues' (1960 - 'It's Everly Time) and, on the same LP, Jimmy's obligato can be heard on the Ray Charles song 'What Kind Of Girl Are you?'.

The next album ('A Date With The Everlys') has Hank Garland's fabulous solo on 'Stick With Me, Baby' ('Lucille' is included on this LP - their second for Warner Bros - as well).

If it wasn't one of the great players you've mentioned then it was Chet Atkins!! He's all over their early records, too. There's almost untold musical wealth in their repertoire and, as a budding guitarist myself at the time, I anticipated every release of theirs with great excitement.

I have raised the subject of Day's playing on the Everly's records numerous times before here on the Forum. I, too, being a young English lad who knew nothing about steel guitars, assumed that it was all done on six-string. But the Everly's principally recorded in Nashville and, at that time, it was normal to hire a steel player for sessions as a matter of course.

Listen to the lovely chord-pads on steel on their 'Sleepless Nights'! There's steel, too, from Jimmy Day on 'I Wonder If I care as Much' and Walter Haynes played on later sessions in '61 ('Both Sides Of An Evening' which included 'Don't Blame Me').

James Burton joined the party a little later when they recorded in California and I LOVE their LP 'Beat And Soul' with James and Glen Campbell play a fabulous twin-guitar intro and turn-around on 'Lonely Avenue'.

See the concurrent thread on 'Phil Everly' in 'Gone Home' - we discuss the Brothers there, too.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 9:40 am    

Pete:

Yes, I love that 9th chord the boys sing on 'Lucille' and the slur downwards as it decays into that tom-tom roll and the steel solo!

The riff throughout that tune? No multi-tracking but eight different guitarists playing it simultaneously! What a great record!
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 11:43 am    

Chet Atkins was the guitarist on "All I Have To Do Is Dream". I remember telling myself around 2000 or 2001 I wished I could go to an Everly Brothers concert to hear them with Buddy Emmons on steel. I'm a huge fan of the Everly Brothers' music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
David Rogerson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 2:30 pm     The Everly Brothers Lucille

Roger, I stand to be corrected on this but I was under the impression that it was Don & Phil's version of Temptation that used 7 or 8 guitar players & not Lucille.
Anyone want to add to this ?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 2:56 pm    

David:

Phil's words about the session that took place at RCA Victor, Nashville on July 8th, 1960:

"Well, we like Little Richard. What was strange about the record of that was we had every guitar player in Nashville - we had eight guitar players playing that one riff that sounds like one guitar. That's eight electric guitars all doing the same thing in unison, very much like an orchestra would do. The instrumental part of that is Jimmy Day on steel and that's why that's strange. It just turned out very interesting....."

They did the same thing (massed electric guitars) on 'Temptation' as you rightly say. Of the two sides I infinitely prefer 'Lucille', but Don really had a bee in his bonnet about 'Temptation' and stuck to his guns against the wishes of the record company.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 9:04 am    

I found this on SugarMegs, a 'live recording' streaming site. It's an Everly Brothers concert in Manchester, England on 05-24-97. It has Buddy Emmons on steel guitar and I believe Albert Lee on electric guitar.

Everly Brothers in Manchester...

(This is an MP3 file. -17.7 MB- Right click and select "Save As...")

I hope you enjoy it.

RIP - Phil Everly

www.BuddyEmmons.com
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 10:06 am    

Lucille starts just after the 51min-20sec mark.
Wow, Buddy is all over these songs.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 11:13 am    

This is great to have - thanks, Ernie!

Buddy's way up in the mix, isn't he? I always loved the way he made himself an essential part of their repertoire, even 'though steel wasn't predominantly featured on their big hits.

I'm not sure that's Albert! Not much evidence of his trademark playing here at all. I know he missed the occasional tour ('though he did most of them) and this may have been one. I will say, though, that electric guitar is down in the mix compared to the steel so it's not as easy to discern as it might have been. (Didn't Jamie Hartford do one tour on electric?)
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 11:22 am    

I just thought in England likelihood of it being Albert was good. But, yes, Jamie Hartford, (John's son), may be on this one. Jamie played when I saw them in April 2000.

www.BuddyEmmons.com
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 11:41 am    

Yes, Ernie - in fact at one point the entire band was British (apart from 'E'!) and I used to enjoy Don's introduction when he'd say:

"Me, Phil and Buddy are the only hillbillies up here!"

I saw them in Atlantic City in February 2000 (while I was doing a gig with Jeannie Sealy at the Claridge) and again in Biloxi in December of the same year. Albert was there both times (that's how I got in for nothing!)