| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Support your fellow steel player........
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2014 8:14 pm    

For just pennies a day, folks can provide food, water, medicine, a safe room in which to sleep, etc.
This is for young children in USA & Africa; domestic animals in USA, etc.

Has such a fund ever been considered/established for old, mentally faltering, rheumatism or gout handicapped steel players?

If 11,000 steel players from around the world would commit to donating $1.00 each month, old steel players could have some hope at the end of that long, long trail.

Funds could go toward new guitar strings, electronic tuners, electrical cord, bars/slides, affects stomp boxes, transportation to their favorite steel guitar convention, instructional courses, etc., etc. Perhaps even a used Nudie Suit?
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2014 9:21 am    

Ray, you have a very good suggestion a bout helping less fortunate steel players. If you can figure a way to keep the management Part, from dipping their hands in the pot, it might work.

While we are in the charitable mood, I might suggest that those of us who can afford it, to include the steel guitar forum, in our wills. Provided the doctors, hospitals, nursing homes don't get everything that's left.
It would be a great way to keep the forum available for the younger generation steel players.
Willie sims
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 5:55 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Glen Derksen on 10 Jan 2014 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 2:10 pm     Just think about it....................

Is this idea so outlandish that we can't muster any support for such a project?

13,000 SGF Members at $1.00 per member each month would generate some $156.000.00 annually. With this amount of money paid into a non-profit corp., a substantial amount of money would be available for steel guitar players to donate to some extremely worthy causes. It could be donated in small chunks to aid defenseless animals that are abused, or kids with cancer or whatever.

It would place the "STEEL GUITAR" in the minds of literally millions of people. That would be ideal public relations of an enormous value that no one could buy in a store. It could go on and on, year after year. It could fund an annual steel guitar convention or various conventions thro' each year.

My suggestion that olde SGF Members should receive
news strings, etc., etc., was merely a hook. However, 'special aid' could be set aside for members that have suffered a great personal loss.

I'm just envisioning too much? I see it as a definite reality. WHAT SAY YOU?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 6:27 pm    

The big problem with such an idea is the same as the big problem with public assistance or any other kind of charity...keeping people from "playing the system". Confused
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 6:55 pm     I'm in

I'm in for a buck a month. Lemme know who to send the money to. Paypal ok?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 7:17 pm    

i'm not against the idea, but managing the money and deciding where it goes may be problematic.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 8:14 pm     Not what I expected.............

Thus far, we've got a couple of neutrals........

Two positives and two negatives.

How 'bout hearing some more ideas on how to make it work? Is it because it's easier to tear down an idea than it is to make something new work in a positive way?

THANKS for your offer to be the first to want to participate in a project of this type.

We're suggesting $1.00 each...........NOT $100.00 each. So where's the RISK? The greater the risk, the more opportunity for a major success.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 3:32 pm     Re: Not what I expected.............

Ray Montee wrote:
How 'bout hearing some more ideas on how to make it work? Is it because it's easier to tear down an idea than it is to make something new work in a positive way?

That's a cheap shot, Ray. Confused Do you remember when you were "down and out", and asked for help right here on the Forum? You got help, didn't you? It didn't take a big fund or a bureaucracy, and it didn't take thousands of people "subscribing" to something that might turn into a big can of worms down the road.

Ask for help, and those with a big heart will help you if they can. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 3:27 pm    

I'm in for a buck a month too if none of it goes to animals. Too many people needing help. I'd rather give my dollar to a person than to a dog or a cat. Just wouldn't feel right if I knew that I kept a dog alive when I could have kept a child alive or helped a vet or the elderly.
Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 3:30 pm    

Oh yea. Can I be the secretary and trustee and president and CFO? Very Happy
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 9:25 pm     Well Donny...............

in your anxiousness to 'slam me' as you frequently do,I can only say that you failed to fairly and properly do your homework.

I asked for "nothing" during my past near disaster in my life.

My friend Kenny Dail (Whom I didn't even know prior to his self-motivated effort on my behalf) stepped forward voluntarily to get the 'fund raiser' on my behalf......up and running.

Approximately twenty five SGF Members kindly stepped up and made contributions on my behalf. For this, I will be forever humbled and grateful. I THANK them.

But Donny, other than to slam me, why didn't you make mention that every donor was repaid in full by ME, for their kind assistance? That seems to be your MO. This was accomplished within days after I succeeded in finding a place to live and a job with which to earn a life sustaining income.

I hope you'll forgive me for attempting to find a workable solution to the steel guitars' lagging
popularity. It was indeed, foolish of me to 'think' that a bunch of musicians could ban together in a giant sized project such as this.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 6:39 am     Re: Well Donny...............

Ray Montee wrote:
in your anxiousness to 'slam me' as you frequently do,I can only say that you failed to fairly and properly do your homework.

Ray, why must you look at every disagreement with your way of doing something as someone slamming you? Do you require all people to agree with everything you say? You ask for opinions on an idea, and then you get insulted when those opinions do not coincide with your own. In a perfect world, your idea might work, but if you've ever noticed the sniping that goes on right here when someone's "favorite" fails to make it into the HOF, then you have some idea of what would happen when handing out money to various people. There would quickly come the howls that "You gave that guy money, but why didn't my friend/favorite player get any?" Or, "So-and-so got more than me", or "Why are you taking so long?" Do you see what I mean? I would also think that anyone truly in need of money would need it for food, medicine, or help with the rent, and not for electronic tuners, strings, stomp boxes, or effects.

Ray Montee wrote:
I hope you'll forgive me for attempting to find a workable solution to the steel guitars' lagging popularity. It was indeed, foolish of me to 'think' that a bunch of musicians could ban together in a giant sized project such as this.

Ray I could be wrong, but I don't think that giving money to a bunch of (what would likely be) old guys would do much to promote the popularity of steel guitar. The vast amount of young people today, those we should be trying to appeal to, aren't much concerned with older folks, or their problems, let alone what those older folks might receive from some charity for older musicians. There's also a whole bunch of hurdles you'd have to jump through to implement your idea. Have you thought about that? Who would be the trustee? How would the money be invested? Who would do all the leg work and research? Who makes the final decision as to who gets what? Who would be the legal adviser, and how much does he get? (Applying for, and continually complying with, tax-exempt status, is no simple matter.) In short, Ray, it's not as easy, either morally or legally, as "everybody just send a dollar here".

Ray Montee wrote:
I asked for "nothing" during my past near disaster in my life.

My friend Kenny Dail (Whom I didn't even know prior to his self-motivated effort on my behalf) stepped forward voluntarily to get the 'fund raiser' on my behalf......up and running.

Approximately twenty five SGF Members kindly stepped up and made contributions on my behalf. For this, I will be forever humbled and grateful. I THANK them.

You're welcome, Ray. (I was one of them.)

Ray Montee wrote:
But Donny, other than to slam me, why didn't you make mention that every donor was repaid in full by ME, for their kind assistance? That seems to be your MO.

Ray, how on earth would you expect me to know who was and wasn't repaid? I only know that my own donation to you was made without stipulations or expectations of repayment, and the fact that I did receive some of the money back was appreciated. I'd also like to reiterate that a simple request here on the Forum got you help when you needed it, and that the same type of request has worked time and time again.

Have a nice day.