| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vince Gill and PF Scheduled for Tonight Show tonight...
John Hopkin

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 8:39 pm    

Mullen RP, MSA, Sho-Bud Pro II, Yamaha keyboards, MalletKat vibes
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 10:21 pm    

11:35 in california.
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 10:33 pm    

Thanks! Just set my DVR.
Glenn Shankle

Kyle, TX
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 6:42 am    

Paul and Vince were great. In addition to the musicianship, it's fun to watch those two react to each other while they're playing.
Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 6:52 am    

Great performance of Together Again. PF playing through a silver panel Twin Reverb. Best tone I have heard in recent memory. Audience reaction to different parts of Paul's solo.. not something you expect to see on TV, but given the playing, not surprising! Awesome!
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 7:20 am    

Here it is:

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/thursday-january-9-2014/n44907/?tin=2090

Last edited by Pete Finney on 10 Jan 2014 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 7:28 am    

Two great Pauls Junior, together again.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 7:57 am    

Thanks Pete, it took a little while to get it up but man it was worth it; bunches of goosebumps.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 9:05 am    

The come-to-be-expected stellar performances aside, what I found most astonishing was the acknowledgment of Paul both on-screen and by Vince and Jay. I don't think I've ever witnessed anything quite like it, although I noticed that Paul didn't follow Vince over to the guest seating…. Winking
Steve Perry

Elizabethtown Ky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 9:47 am    

Those bar slants! Very Happy
Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 11:02 am    

I seen the show but the clip dont work for me.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 12:04 pm    

Now that's what I'm talking about when I say "country music". Wink
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 2:47 pm    

That was just exquisite.

I see Vince has put some scruff on his cheeks since my wife Sandy and I saw him with Paul & band here in Santa Rosa in October. We sat in the 6th row directly in front of Paul. Truly one of my favorite concerts ever.

So just Vince and Paul flew out to Los Angeles sans the band for this, Vince with one of his Martin OMs and Paul of course brought a Franklin. One thing I really like about this segment with some of the guys in Jay's band backing Vince and Paul is that you can tell they are really diggin' it, playing with two of the finest musicians on the planet.

GREAT MUSIC TRANSCENDS GENRES.

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 3:11 pm    

wonderful.. Paul would sound great with any amp, but Lord that Twin was WARM and sweet.. Lots of finger and face time for Paul too, Nice to see... Too often the steel guitar is buried in the mix, and the player shoved into an obscure unlit corner, despite he fact he/she might be among the best in the world...
A simply brilliant rendition of a classic and beloved song,,, Buck and Tom would be proud.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 3:51 pm    

The Twin does sound great. When they played here, they both had their Little Walter amp head/speaker combos, and the sound was so good that after the show I went to the Little Walter website, the wheels started turning in my head.

Then I saw the prices.

The wheels stopped turning... Whoa!

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 5:04 pm    

the band did an ok professional job of backup. i didn't detect any joy or huge respect or anything. and it wouldn't surprise me if none of them, jay included, had ever heard of paul franklin before. they might not even know vince. i didn't know any of the band. and i doubt if buck owens is on their playlist.

i doubt that jay has any specific taste in music.
he sure can't tell a joke!
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 5:49 pm    

Did you notice how the drummer began the applause at the end for Paul and Vince and there were smiles all around? Vince gave a little bow to the band, he seemed to like what they were doing.

I thought they conducted themselves as pros and did a nice job. Vince and Paul were to be featured front and center on the song and that's how it came off to me. The band played with restraint. It might have been a freakin' train wreck if the bass player tried to show some Stanley Clarke or Jaco moves and the drummer released his inner Elvin Jones.

Oh I think Jay has told some pretty good jokes in his time and maybe he's getting a little long in the tooth for this, but no matter - the transition is coming up in several weeks for Jimmy Fallon as the next guy to take over that coveted chair, since Conan didn't work out several years back for the job.

Years ago when Jay first took over for Johnny my wife and I saw him in Santa Cruz and he had the crowd practically in tears we were laughing so hard.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 7:31 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
the transition is coming up in several weeks for Jimmy Fallon as the next guy to take over that coveted chair, since Conan didn't work out

uh oh...forgive me mark....
you mean when jay cried, whimpered and begged his way back into 'conan's spot'?!
ha ha
big can of worms.

ask conan and letterman.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 8:19 pm    

Well, whatever the circumstances in that whole deal - he's had a long tenure for a reason. If the universal opinion were that he never has been able to tell a decent joke, period, he would have been gone a long, long time ago.

No matter - I'm big on Fallon, I think he'll do a good job.

Regardless, it was great to see Vince and Paul on there doing "Together Again."

And I still miss Ed McMahon!

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 9:10 pm    

i agree wit all dat!
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 5:46 am    

Chris, I guess if I looked deeper I could find something negative about the appearance maybe they were not wearing Cowboy hats. But after all I guess neither is a "true Cowboy. (0^0) However I thought all showed true professionalism in backing Vince and Paul. You can't find a more humble positive person than Vince Gill. And I love the respect he shows for PF and what a clean pure sound he got out of that Franklin. Jay got it right when in the intro he described Paul as legendary. great night for the Steel Guitar community.. Yes BUCK and Tom would be proud. I am that I was one of the first to buy that CD. Hope there is another in the works real soon.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 6:04 am    

chris ivey wrote:
they might not even know vince.

During the exchange of pleasantries following the song I believe they said that Vince has been on the show several times before. I'd expect the band would at least know who he is. And just as some steelers don't limit themselves strictly to "Old Country", it's possible some of the band have an eclectic taste and occasionally listen to something other than jazz.

We hear a lot of complaints that mainstream mom and pop don't know or care what a steel is. Here's a case where a popular TV show featured our kind of music, and let a top-shelf player do his thing front and center, not buried in the shadows and toned down behind the rest of the band. I'm sure that somewhere, somebody said "Damn, that was nice, I never really paid any attention to one of those before."

What more could we ask for?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 9:44 am    

that would be stating the obvious.

and that cowboy hat reference is ridiculous. i said they did a professional job.

wow that's special being one of the first to buy the cd. i probably won't at this point due to the excessive marketing of it. i'm definitely tired of together again. i just hope vince makes some money off it.
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 10:05 am    

Although I've previously posted positive comments on another thread regarding Vince & Paul's appearance on The Tonight Show, I would like to add, I thought that the entire performance was superb! The backup players seemed very respectful & professional and I'll never tire of "Together Again". I received the Bakersfield CD as a birthday gift and intend to purchase the one w/4 additional songs at The Cracker Barrel.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 10:38 am    

I was blown away by the performance! I watched every closeup of Paul and how he played! I have a lot of respect for Paul and Vince-I listened to Paul play on many records and I've listened to Vince for years. Paul actually played on Vince's "When I Call Your Name record and he was also the man who convinced John Hughey to join Vince's band.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger