Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman Courses
Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 11:54 am    

What would be the correct sequence to study the Jeff Newman courses? Thanks

Missouri by way of Virginia, a little Tennessee and with deep Texas roots, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 12:01 pm    

Having just started in June myself, I would recommend the Up from the Top series. The first is the A&B pedal course, then the D lever course, then F lever course as well as the Right Hand course. I found these very helpful, clear and concise with Tab, Rhythm Tracks and DVD support.......and practice practice practice Smile ......welcome to the journey

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 12:32 pm    

Gary, I read your post about getting Mark Van Allen’s course. My suggestion to you would be to learn the string grips first. Then take up from the top A/B pedals. Then I would start Marks course. That’s just my opinion of course, but to me, Marks course would be more helpful if you know some basics first. His course is pretty deep from the very beginning. I gathered from something he said on the first CD that he might have a course that would benefit you before you take the theory course. If I were in your place, I would email Mark and ask him. Just a suggestion, but you CAN buy too much learning material starting out and get yourself very confused and overwhelmed. Get one and work though it and then move on. I am just sharing a mistake I made at first, I am not trying to be a wise guy. But if you get all confused trying to do too much, you might set yourself back instead of moving forward.
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 3:06 pm    

Jeff's catalog lists his video courses in the following order of difficulty:

1. Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques

2. Pedal Steel Guitar Illustrated

3. The Right Hand Alpha

4. Just Play The Melody

5. The Chord Connection Seventh

6. Give Me An Intro

7. The E9th Chord Dictionary

8. The Minor Chord Connection (Parts 1&2)

9. Bandstand Backup (Part 1)

10. Bandstand Backup (Part 2)

11. No Speed Limit (Parts 1&2)

12. No Speed Limit (Part 3)

Now that being said, the "Up From The Top" series is a good a place as any to start. But if you're wanting to learn Left and Right hand technique then I would suggest Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques & The Right Hand Alpha as good starting places. In fact, I think Fran has those two as a package deal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dickie Whitley on 1 Jan 2014 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 3:08 pm    

I've got most all his instructions but I would say that Up from the Top D Lever is the more basic for beginners of all the courses. It deals with all 3 ( A&B- E-Lower Lever) in the course and that will get you started on melodies to entertain yourself in your learning experience. A&B pedals was the next and then the F Lever. They are all great. The D lever kept me busy for months. As advised you can spend a small fortune on materials and still be no farther along, trust me on this one. Rolling Eyes Happy Steelin' and BTW Welcome aboard !
Dylan Keating

Montreal QC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 3:28 pm    

I ordered some courses from Fran a few months ago. I wanted to start with Up from The Top but when we spoke on the phone she was pretty adamant that I should start with Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques and the Right Hand Alpha. I've found both to be helpful and at a good level for me (I've only been playing since the summer).
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 3:44 pm    

Dylan Keating wrote:
I ordered some courses from Fran a few months ago. I wanted to start with Up from The Top but when we spoke on the phone she was pretty adamant that I should start with Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques and the Right Hand Alpha. I've found both to be helpful and at a good level for me (I've only been playing since the summer).

RIGHT !
Patrick Johnson

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 3:57 pm    

Jeff Newman ALWAYS suggested to start with Right Hand Alpha and Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques.

As he points out, one of the most important things to do is get the right angle of the picks and holding your right hand. If you develop bad habits in your right hand, you won't develop a tone that you will be happy with and the habits will be hard to break.

After the first two, then go with the Up From the Top, and after that, work through other courses of your choosing.

At least that was his recommendation.

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 4:11 pm    

Patrick Johnson wrote:
Jeff Newman ALWAYS suggested to start with Right Hand Alpha and Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques.

As he points out, one of the most important things to do is get the right angle of the picks and holding your right hand. If you develop bad habits in your right hand, you won't develop a tone that you will be happy with and the habits will be hard to break.

After the first two, then go with the Up From the Top, and after that, work through other courses of your choosing.

At least that was his recommendation.

Re-Right !!!
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 4:11 pm    

Winking

Last edited by John Sluszny on 2 Jan 2014 12:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 5:20 pm    

Thanks everyone for your responses. Good ideas from each of you. THANK YOU, Gary Cooper