| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Back to a pot pedal ?
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2013 6:06 pm    

I'd be curious to know if anyone who previously used an active pedal like a Hilton, Teleonics, or powered Goodrich decided to go back to a non-powered pot only pedal ?

If so, could you comment on the benefits ? I'm tempted to give an old school pedal a try. I believe tube amps may like to see a signal from a 500K pot , but I'm guessing. I've heard a lot of cool vintage tone from a pot pedal to a twin .

If you prefer a pot pedal, could you comment on your set up? Thanks !
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2013 6:12 pm    

I used active pedals for about 15 years before going back to pot pedals. First, there's one less wire or battery to worry about. But most of all it was for the tone. I came to the conclusion that when my volume was low, it was because I was playing "background" stuff. When I pushed the volume forward, I wanted more highs as well to attract the listener's ear.

I'm not much of a pedal pumper. I mainly use the pedal for dynamics. When I'm playing softly in the background, I want a softer tone. A pot pedal gives me that.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2013 8:04 pm    

I bought one of the most popular "powered" pedals some years ago. After trying it a few times, I went back to my old pot pedal...partly because I didn't like having another cord to trip over, and partly because I could get a nearly identical sound using my pot pedal - by just resetting the amp tone controls.

My setup is steel - to pot pedal - to amp.
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2013 8:08 pm    

I've recently returned to using my Goodrich 120 and/or Sho Bud volume pedal. I've owned a Hilton, actually 2 of them, liked them very much with my Peavey amps. The active pedal gave me a very clean sound, was an excellent buffer too, no doubt about it. Sure, there was an extra power cord to contend with but I never did mind it. However, after listening to my old Lloyd Green records & CD's, and I've got a lot of them, I decided that I wanted to strive for THAT tone. So, I dusted off a couple of my Fender Twin Reverbs, had one of them re-capped, even purchased a mint condition Vibrosonic with 15" JBL and set out for that sound. My old pot pedals are an intricate part of the sound that I'm searching for. I like the so-called "roll off" of highs, as I back off the volume pedal as well as the increase of highs as I increase the volume. Having said that, the change of tone that I hear is slight but it's there. So, I just play a Show Pro w/Wallace Truetone single coil pickup and a pot pedal into one of my Fender amps. I decided that whenever I'm called to play, whether it be a session or live performance, that's what they'll get, like it or not. I never expect to ever come close to playing like Lloyd Whoa! or anyone else for that matter, but I'm pleased with what I'm hearing and that's all that matters to me. Both of my pot pedals are clean sounding, no scratchiness (is that a word?). I do recommend a good quality pot. My Goodrich 120 has a Dunlop pot and the Sho Bud pedal still has the original. Hope this helps a little on your decision.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2013 10:14 pm    

I went back to pot pedals about 4 years ago. They are simple, cheap and I feel more comfortable with the tone.

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 7:06 am    

I've been using the Telonics for over a year now.
After retrying an old Emmons pedal with the original AB pot, I just noticed how the tone changed when the volume was at full level.
At mid level it was OK, but all the way up it added some extra mud I wasn't crazy about. But that's just me I guess Rolling Eyes

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 9:01 am    

long time user.....
No noticeable side effects... effects... effects

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 11:03 am    

Goodrich 120 pot pedal for about 20 years, Lil Izzy + added to it for a year or so, back to Goodrich 120, then to Goodrich LDR, back to Goodrich 120, Hilton for a year then to a Goodrich 120 with a HotPotz. Somewhere along the line I discovered low capacitance cords, Belden then George L's and those added to my pot pedal and perhaps one or two effect pedals inline has been the ticket for me!

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 11:24 am    

Even though I have a Telonics permanently set up at home on my practice rig, I find myself using an old beat up Goodrich more and more for gigs. To be really honest, it's because after all these decades I've come to the conclusion that for small places and similar gigs nobody but me can tell the difference. So, it's just easier to toss that old pedal on the floor, plug it in and go.

Yeah, I'll use a Telonics for big gigs or studio work but those gigs have a far different dynamic. Truth be told, in a blind listening test, maybe 2 people, at best, in a thousand could correctly identify a steel player using a Telonics vs a Goodrich in a band setup.
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 11:52 am    

Problem is I'm one of those two people, and I've gotta listen
to myself the whole night.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 1:08 pm    

Jay, I'll take your copies of the Black Album et c. Winking

(I use a buffer and a pot pedal, myself. I don't mind folks spending the money, but I do think Bill Howard had a point)
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 5:39 pm     Active Vs. Passive issue

So much of the vintage tone that some of us consider " holy grail " tone, For me, Brumley, Lloyd etc...tube amp and pot pedal. Obviously passive ( no battery ) so I wouldn't put Goodrich pot pedals in the same discussion.

What I'm wondering, is there some special tone Mojo in the pot pedal to tube amp relationship ?
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 6:18 pm    

Telonics or Hilton VP for me. I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to a pot pedal.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 8:52 pm    

I love clarity and consistent tone. I hate scratchy pots. HATE THEM!

So Hilton and Telonics for me.

But I do respect pot pedal players, and do carry one as a backup to all my gigs, just in case. Very Happy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2013 6:19 am    

I can use my Goodrich 120 interchangeable with my Hilton. BUT, I don't want to be concerned about pot or string failure.

On stage I use the Hilton. At home its either one.

My Goodrich has an original Allen Bradley pot in it. Smile
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2013 7:45 am     Back to a pot pedal ?

I bought some spare AB pots quite a few years ago and knew that I had one left, but I could not find it. So I got the Dunlop from Tom Bradshaw and installed it. This was about a year ago. The Dunlop has been fine until the last week. I am getting just a little static when I play real low at home, but on the job, it is fine.

I have since run across the last AB pot that I have. It is 500K and is stamped Mexico on it. Is this an inferior, johnny come lately pot? Were the good one's American made or is their no difference? Are they still being made in Mexico?

As long as the Dunlop is working for me, I hate to install the last AB that I have until absolutely necessary.
Jack Devereux

Brooklyn NY
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2013 8:34 am    

Went to see the Time Jumpers two weeks in a row a month or two back. First week, Paul Franklin was using a real old, beat looking Emmons volume pedal, next week a new active pedal (Hilton or Telonics, can't remember which). He sounded like Paul Franklin both times...
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2013 8:45 am    

Pot pedal here. A little tone roll off at low volume is the least of my problems. Confused

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 9:28 am    

I've split the off topic Li'l Izzy discussion into its own topic. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=258150