| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cube 80XL with opened back.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 3:00 pm    

I'm wondering if opening the back of a Roland 80XL would mess the sound up.They are very directional amps and not much spread for the rest of the band as an opened back cabinet does. I don't mean a "big" opening...just perhaps a round hole about the size of the dust cap.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 3:41 pm    

It looks to be a tuned-port cabinet, which means the volume of the box and the size of the ports are carefully matched to the speaker. You would probably lose the low frequency response if you open it up. You can see the front ports through the grill, and the horizontal slot across the back is another port.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe someone else can verify.
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 5:13 pm    

But I do think I'm right. I used to build tuned-port cabinets for PA, so I studied up on it a bit. The very lowest frequencies are the ones you lose when the ports are not right.
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 5:33 pm    

Micky,try setting up 2 cubes one angled towards you one towards the band both amps with the same settings on tone controls,if they still cant here it tell the band to turn down,they ars most likely to loud,or not listening or paying attention to the steel guitar,and remember these little amps pound for pound buck for buck are the best value going,most bands will cry about the sound volume,tone,of a steel or fiddle before the sound of other instruments,the other instruments get away with murder,but steel or fiddle, they seem to pick any little thing apart any time they can.
Thanks again micky for turning us all on two these little gems of amps.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 10:16 pm    

Thanks Tommy and Steve, Steve, sometimes I use one Cube standing on top of and open backed cabinet with a 15" Black Widow with a Neo magnet.I link the speaker out of the Cube into the 15" .. There's no problem there as there's lots of sound spreading across, but my enquiry was on times I use both Cubes. I use an Amp stand for one Cube and stand the other in front. I do as you say, have all the tones set identical. My Volume pedal has 1 in and 2 outs. Steve glad you're still enjoying the cube....so am I "LOTS" Very Happy ...I'm still happy with the "Black face" setting. God .. haven't these amps got so much "bottom end" for one 12" speaker? Laughing

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 11:01 pm    

This seemed to help mine......a small disc acting as a diffuser seems to break up the directional forward thing these amps tend to be.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 2:11 am    

Micky Byrne wrote:
haven't these amps got so much "bottom end" for one 12" speaker?

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

From what I've read, the closed back is part of the reason for the punchy bass. I've been using an 80XL as a guitar amp for a few years. Generally, I set it up far enough to the rear so that the drummer can hear it.

The 80XL is a great sounding amp...I'd be reluctant to start punching holes in the back.......
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 2:18 am    

Thanks Kevin...I have already tried that, but only in doors, and not on a gig. I didn't really see much difference. My best bet is to use my Cube linked to the 15" Neo Magged B/W. I "have" used that on a gig...sounded good a 12 and 15" .. still loads of power to compete with loud lead guitar players Very Happy

Micky"scars" Byrne U.K.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2014 1:10 am    

Kevin...I tried the Disc again last night. Seems to work great. When I tried it before it was just the Cubes on their own, but now standing one cube on the 15" Neo Black Widow and linking it via the extension speaker connection, it sounds good. Before the "Disc" addition, the Cube at 8 ohms into the B/W at 4 ohms made the Cube sound more prominent, because of the direct beam. Now with the Cube with the "diffuser" Disc ...the tone is more balanced Smile May be my imagination, but I don't think so Laughing I got someone to listed from out front. The 15" is in the cabinet of a Nashville 400. The "head" is in a seperate cabinet. I used double sided sellotape to attach the disc to the Cube grill. Took a few minutes to really line it up well. I did this by using another "Disc" while the grill was still on and lined it carefully with tape, then removed the grill and carefully position the second Disc.

Micky "scars" Byrne