| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installation problem
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2013 7:47 pm    

I am trying to "reinstall" BIAB on my computer. It was running great until my C drive died and I had to replace it. So here I am, many months later trying to install. I have version 9, an upgrade from 9 to 10 and an upgrade from 10 to 11. When installing ver 9, it goes through the motions and stops at a blue screen (pretty shade of blue) with the wording something like "Band in a Box Version 9". It covers the whole screen, so the only way out is to fire up task manager and end the program. I thought maybe it actually finished installing, but couldn't find an exe file that worked. I tried the upgrade disk to bring it to version 11, and each up grade stopped at the same blue screen but with the version number updated to reflect the current version number.

I don't understand why it won't reinstall. Nothing has changed in my computer except the new hard drive. Won't install on the 2nd hard drive I also have in the computer. Also, since it didn't fully install, there was no uninstall available and it wasn't listed in the add/remove programs list. In windows explorer, if I try to delete the directory for BIAB, it tells me I can't because, I think the file is BBWIN.exe, or something like that is in use. I have to power down, re-boot, and then I could delete the directory.

Any ideas?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 3:28 am    

Use the System Restore function and restore the PC back to BEFORE you first attempted to install. That will give you a clean install point.

Depending on what OS you have, you may have to install V9 in a compatibility mode for XP.

System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 10:47 am    

I'm using Xp on this computer. I really don't want to have to go back to an earlier restore point. But I might. I am going to try to install it on my laptop (Win 7). I only wanted it to make a track for one intro and solo I do that a student wants to learn. Otherwise, I rarely use BIAB.

Now that I think of it, when I was using task manager to shut BIAB down, I was getting some error that was about some 16 bit thing. Sorry I don't remember what it was exactly. I'm just puzzled that it worked before the hard drive change, but not after.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 12:07 pm    

Depending on how you are set up you may have use the "Run as Administrator" option to install it.

I don't remember, but I think XP has this option. Right click on the install icon for BIAB and then select Run As Administrator.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 12:34 pm    

I have 2 accounts set up on my computer. One is for me, without admin capabilities, and one for Administrator that has full abilities. I'll log in as administrator and see if that helps. I am pretty sure that when I installed before, I had admin status.

Funny thing. After my last post, I went into Windows Explorer and found that BIAB was still installed on my 2nd hard drive from a while ago. But when I click on the exe file to start it, nothing happens. It must write values in the registry and maybe even place support files in the windows directory.