| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Dobro Hound Dog Question
John Broughten

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 9:12 am    

I'm thinking on buying a used USA made Gibson Dobro square neck as a second guitar for a different tuning. The seller does not know much about resonators and said it has an open sound well. I already have a Gold Tone so I'm wondering what the difference in volume/tone will be. I also know it has a Fishman pickup. The asking price is $600. Any feedback will be appreciated since I have never played or seen one in person.
John Broughten

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 1:41 pm    

Forgot to mention it is a Hound Dog model.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 2:19 pm    

The "Hound Dog" model name has been used by Dobro® and Gibson for several different instrument styles, in the periods 1967-71, 1990-1995, and 2003-present. The instruments were built in the USA between 2003 and 2007 (when manufacturing was moved to China), but some USA Hound Dog round neck guitars are apparently still made in the USA.

Without seeing pictures of the guitar in question, it's likely one of those made between 2003 and 2007. The serial number stamped on the head of the guitar will help determine when it was made.

The Fishman pickup will probably be the older style pickup that attaches to the cone, not the more desirable Fishman Nashville pickup that is built into the bridge. I think these are pretty good guitars, but they don't go for much money - $450-700 USD would be my guess, depending on condition.
Rob Anderlik

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 6:13 pm    

John:

I've played a few of the more recent Gibson Hound Dog square neck guitars. My recollection is that they sounded ok but were really lacking in low end response and overall volume.

Hope this helps