| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aussie Steel Players Get-Together #10.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:55 am    

Sunday November 24th saw the tenth steel-guitar players get-together take place in a quiet Sydney suburb, again capably organised by Nick O'Neill.

Now just to set the scene, the venue for our meetings is in a slightly "rural" suburb to the west of Sydney itself. Rural enough to have the odd bit of good old Aussie wildlife. This sign is less than fifty yards from where we are playing, and it means exactly what it says...the snakes around this area are deadly, mostly the good old "Aussie eastern brown snake" (pseudonaja textilis). We don't mess with them.

Being the last one for the calendar-year, the event was well-patronised. A full list of attendees reads as follows:- Nick O'Neill, Chris Sattler, Graham Griffith, Kerry Donlon (bass-guitar), Geoff Barnes, Mal Spottiswood, Mike Tyne, Ned McIntosh and Tomi Graso. Some were able to stay all day, others had to leave early or arrive late.

The "usual suspects": clockwise from left: Nick O'Neill, Chris Sattler, Kerry Donlon, Geoff Barnes and Mal Spottiswood all spellbound as Tomi Graso (far right) cuts loose on the "Lefty LeGrande".

Steels played included three Mullens; two G2s (Nick's SD-10 and Mal's SD12U) and a Royal Precision D10 (Ned), a BMI (Graham Griffith), A vintage Sho-Bud (Mike Tyne), a GFI (Geoff Barnes), a Zum D10 (Chris Sattler, he bought it from b0b a while ago) and an Emmons Lashley LeGrande (Tomi Graso).

Normally Ned wins the prize for the greatest distance travelled to attend, but this time he was well and truly trumped by Mal Spottiswood who came all the way from Melbourne (a day's drive). Mal said it was almost impossible to find fellow steel-players in Melbourne and we really appreciated his dedication and playing-style. Mal's SD12 Mullen G2 has a universal tuning and an interesting pedal arrangement in two different colours.

The black pedal on the far right is "pedal 0" for E9th, the usual pedals A, B and C, then the second black pedal serves to visually mark where the additional changes for the universal tuning are located. Mal also plays with three finger-picks and a thumb-pick, instead of the more customary two finger-picks. Makes for some very thick and fat-sounding "jazzy" chords.

Kerry Donlon provided the bass for the day, and Mal had bought a tablet computer with "Band In A Box" on it so we could try it out as backing music. Geoff Barnes set up a pretty convincing sound-system, and with BIAB feeding into it the result was a very passable band via the PA with multiple steels playing along.

Kerry Donlon on the Hofner bass with a "colourful" background.

Geoff Barnes' sound-system became our PA and band for the day, fed with BIAB files courtesy of Mal Spottiswood.

We'd choose a track, set up enough loops for everyone to play a couple of breaks, then let it loose and rip into it. Steel by steel, round the room, each player could interpret the track as he wished on either neck...we had a riot playing with the tracks - and the tunings. Many different roads all leading to the same destination.

Mal Spottiswood on his Mullen G2 SD12 Universal...great tone! (Note the three finger-picks.)

Chris Sattler (left) providing rhythm and Graham Griffith on the BMI keyless universal.

For goodness sake, Ned...smile! The guys were very kind and complimented me on my tone. In fact, everyone had "tone to the bone".

Geoff Barnes and his sound-system laying down a solid backing for the steel-players to embellish.

Mike Tyne had to leave relatively early, but most of the group stayed long enough for a few group photos as we traded licks.

Nick O'Neill, Chris Sattler, Graham Griffith and Kerry Donlon making good use of the BIAB tracks.

Well, that pretty much covers the last meeting for 2013. Lunch was thoughtfully provided by Nick's wife Anne, to whom all of us send a heartfelt "Thank You for your kindness throughout the year" and best wishes for the forthcoming festive season. After all, it's just a month to Christmas.

Again, many thanks to Nick for organising these meetings, and huge thanks also to all the players who have been able to attend. The exchange of ideas, favourite licks, techniques and tips on how to set up gear, effects, etc is invaluable.

Hopefully we'll be doing it all again next year too!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Nick ONeill

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 3:41 am    

Thanks Ned for another great report on our little Steel get-together. I certainly enjoyed it. As always I came away with new gems of wisdom to take home and ponder/sweat over.
Steel players seem to be so generous in the way they are willing to share their knowledge of the instrument. Mike Tyne and Graham Griffith had gigs on Sunday but they still came along for a couple of hours. How cool was that? Also,the fact that many of you guys travel for such long distances and then just have a few hours of playing and sharing ideas is amazing. I hope we can keep on having these times together?
On that note I would like to wish all our steel playing friends around the world a very safe, healthy and happy Christmas and a musical new year.
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 11:30 am    

looks like a nice get together of some fine steels.

Last edited by chris ivey on 4 Dec 2013 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 1:47 pm    

Hi all, always great to see what you guys 'n gals are up to down there!
Thanks for the report. Looks like you had a top time. Cool
What a surprise to have Nick & Anne O'Neill at the Brizvegas meeting on the 10th Nov.
Wow, you guys sure put in the miles!
Great to see you again & thanks for your support. Very Happy

Hope none of you found any of those wriggly sticks down there! Whoa!

Cheers to all, Allen
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 5:49 pm    

Looks like a lot of fun guys, I'm going to have to get across the ditch for one of these events at some stage
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2013 1:04 pm    

AS always, great photos Ned. Thanks Nick and Anne for organising these meets and putting on a great spread for us all.
As someone who rarely gets to hang out with working musicians, this is both a godsend and a unique opportunity. Every time we do this I come away humbled, a little more informed as to what is possible and inspired.
Geoff

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2013 4:17 am    

And a great day was had by all. This was my first and not my last. I like to loiter on acoustic guitar a lot but will play more steel next time. Watching Tomi play makes me wonder if an old palm blocker can convert to a pick blocker.

My personal thanks to Nick and Anne for organising a great day.

Chris
Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2013 7:27 pm    

Wish I could have been there to catch up with all the brothers...

Once I'm through this toddler patch at home things should change.
Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2013 2:59 am    

This is so good to see. Thanks for the pics and reports. Steel is alive and well in the land down under!! Cheers to all you guys south of the border!
Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2013 9:06 am     Aussie's Steel Get-gether!

Looks like a great bunch of guys! Enjoy yourselves. I still find it fascinating that the steel has made itself known around the world. Must be something about it, eh! Keep those dang snakes away from me. I'd have to pack a sawed-off shotgun around.