| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My latest pit-orchestra job....
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 11:09 am    

Four weeks doing Irving Berlin's 'I Love a Piano'.

Here are two crucial photos - one during the run and the other taken minutes after our final curtain.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 11:10 am    

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 11:11 am    

Ooops!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 2:23 pm    

Roger, what's that "thing" you're holding in the first photo? It looks like a snare drum with a neck on it..........JH in Va.

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 3:17 pm    

I think the photos might be out of order, Roger... It looks to me as if you're actually REMOVING a banjo that b0b disposed of in a dumpster and then prostituting yourself by playing it for compensation. This brings dumpster diving to a whole new level and I'm embarrassed for you haha! I notice that Irving Berlin couldn't stand banjos either which is obviously why he called the production "I Love a PIANO!" Smile ....Now is when I admit to being a banjo player myself. Looks like a fun gig Roger - hope all is well Smile
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 3:40 pm    

Hi, Jeff - all is well, thanks. It was good fun - eventually - but a very hard guitar-book to read. Constant switching of instruments, tempi and a third eye needed to watch the conductor. Even the accomplished sight-readers on the gig (horn players especially) said how tricky it was. The first act was virtually segue throughout and we'd all breathe deeply when we reached the intermission!

Hello, Jerry! Well, I believe in owning up right from the start so, for better or worse, that's what I had to play!

I first worked at this theatre (Riverside in Vero Beach, FL) in 2006 on a production of 'Always, Patsy Cline' - I had no idea what I'd let myself in for when they made a note of my number!