| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ben Keith - Deep Forbidden Lake
Slide-OZ

Austin, TX 78751
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2013 5:44 pm    

Hi All. I am a beginner steel player that loves Ben's work with Neil. A friend was planning to play Deep Forbidden lake at a gig and I offered to accompany him on steel. So then I knew I had to learn the part. Here is my attempt at tabbing it. Only problem is that I have read that Ben doesn't use a LKL and I DO use that in my tab. So, this is assuredly wrong. But it's not too bad.

HOWEVER, I would really appreciate it if the more knowledgeable and skilled among you could help me fix any errors here.

Played in the key of F. I think Neil plays the guitar in Drop-Standard. I think I may have tabbed the last line an octave too low.

Thanks.

So how did the gig go? Well, it is supposed to be in Half Moon Bay this Thursday, but I am really nervous about checking my steel on a flight. I have read a lot here about the care people take with packing and I don't think I have planned properly....so I have elected to sit this one out. But at least I wanted to share my work here.
Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 6:25 pm    

Thanks for this, I'll give this a try this weekend. Been super slammed but just wanted to say Ben is one of the reasons I got into the steel. I want to try to learn his work on Dylan's Wallflower as well.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2013 3:19 am    

Ben Keith was such a superb player. Not a bad gig he had , either. In his biography, Young talks about how much he appreciated Keith's steel work, how he "loves every sound that man makes". Great example of his work.
Slide-OZ

Austin, TX 78751
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2013 11:25 am    

Thanks for the replies, guys! This was my first shot at tabbing anything for the steel as I am a rank beginner. I still don't have a complete view as to how great players hit their chords. I just based it on the chords I knew how to hit and transition between. I didn't even own a functioning volume pedal and reverb effect until just this past weekend. I am sure this will be a life long obsession (when time permits).Some of you may notice that I can sometimes dissappear for years at a time Smile.

If anyone has any other Ben Keith / Neil Young tab, I would be most interested to see it.

Thanks!
Mike Marsh

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 10:00 am     Ben Keith on Neil Young's Harvest

Jory Simmons did a pretty good job tabbing out the Harvest album for me. Ben did some amazingly subtle and beautiful work on some of those tunes. Rech out to Jory, (he's on the forum, i believe), he can send them to you. Enjoy!
Jeff Rady

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 6:02 am     Deep Forbidden Lake (Ben Keith) Tab

Hi Slide-0Z,

Here is my tab of verse 1, I think mine is pretty close to yours just a couple different ways of doing things, I think that walk up from the 8th fret closed position to the 11th fret open position in measure 6 and 7 is my favorite lick. Also, I think in measure 16 it might be a little more economical to stay up near the 14th fret for that minor 4 chord. Anyway hope you like this tab! I put a video demo up of this tab as well for my website, www.radyguide.com. You can check it out here on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwip1kGgyjs
I'll leave this video up on youtube for a week or two.

Also quick promo, if anyone wants to try out my site for 1 month free use promo code: SGF001
Go here: http://radyguide.com/guide-shop/subscriptions/promo-code