| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do you deal with an 'off' night?
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2013 6:24 pm    

Usually when I sit down to spend time on the steel, I can get myself into things pretty well. However, once in a while I seem to have one of those days where everything seems "off" - I just can't hit the right notes, or I forget where I was headed with something even though I may have played it fine the day before. It seems like my mind and my hands (and feet) are in different time zones.

For me it's no big deal, I'm just a beginner in my own house. But I know even the pros have times where it just does not feel right. Do you just deal with it? Bull your way through the evening? Or do you have some way of mentally giving yourself a kick in the rear and forcing the mind to focus? I'm sure different folks react in different ways but I'd be curious how you handle not being able to get the ball over the plate, to use a baseball metaphor.
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2013 7:23 pm    

IF I'm practicing at home, I simply quit and go do something else. Every time I've tried to force myself to learn something or enjoy something, I didn't get much accomplished. If I'm playing a gig, I play only the licks that I'm very comfortable with. (which narrows my choices waaaay down) Laughing

Mitch
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2013 7:46 pm    

Thanks Mitch.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 2:48 am    

When I have an off night on stage, I just go with it. The only problem is when you have an off night someone will tell you that "you really did great tonight" and conversely when you have a great night some will tell you that you "don't sound like yourself".

When I'm having an off time practicing, I just quit and go back to it later.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 3:16 am    

I think when "playing out" everyone has an off night. Sometimes the whole band does not seem to gel. I dont know if it is moon phase or what..lol. Then, it usually gets a little worse because of trying harder. I find that sometimes it is your perception of the sound of the band. Maybe you are set up just a little different with relation to your amp or the rest of the band. I also think that taking a deep breath, relax, and just play it simple, (i.e. dont try to OVER play) can make it an OK night, and often turn it around. Or just go to the bar on break and get sloshed....lol
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 4:43 am    

there's always tomorrow....Smile On a gig when I am just feelin' out of it..I just lay back and play in the safe mode...stick with melody lines or something real close.

It happens...our minds are filled with all sorts of extra stuff.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 5:59 am    

I agree with everyone's posts.

I try not to let it bother me and I'm usually successful at shrugging off a bad night. THose times happen. It's hard, though, when I know I'm playing poorly and there are musicians in the audience.

If it's a bad night, I often try to rescue the evening's playing by consciously playing very simply. I always remember that 2 notes played well are better than some hot 1000-note lick played poorly.

Bad session practicing at home? I get up and take a break.
Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 6:07 am    

I have off nights and get upset about it sometimes. I'm sure everyone that plays steel has these occasionally. I saw Buddy at a show once and he couldn't get his amp set to suit him. He played great but you could tell he was very uncomfortable during his whole set. You have to try and brush it off and keep on picking. Very Happy
Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 6:25 am    

Depends on the circumstances, at a gig - I put my head down and play safe, I can usually turn it around by going back to the basics, find the groove and work up from there. It's important to keep from making faces, and NEVER apologize to the audience - most of them don't know that you are having an off night, if you tell them, then they will feel uncomfortable too (most musicians I know would understand about off nights, it happens).

At practice or rehearsal (and there is a difference between the 2) I tend to go with it, or even expand on my foul ups and see if an off night can lead to new dimensions in my playing. Lemons to Lemonade stuff!

As far as Practice is concerned, if I'm just not feeling it, I go find something else to do and come back when i'm in a better zone.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 7:35 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
The only problem is when you have an off night someone will tell you that "you really did great tonight" and conversely when you have a great night some will tell you that you "don't sound like yourself".

Yeah, like when they come up and say "You played great tonight... uncharacteristically great. I was surprised."

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 8:15 am    

I have been waiting for my ON night for 35 years now. Maybe some day

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 9:08 am    

On an off night I just cased my equipment and went home. Who cares about such things except the "star" who is at the mic.

From my lifetime experience I have learned that a bad night does not equate to a career ending event, it is a learning experience.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 1:34 pm    

Everyone has "off nights". Unless it's happening every night...learn from it, and move on. If you're lucky enough to make it to old age, even those "off nights" will be fond remembrances! Winking
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 3:25 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Everyone has "off nights". Unless it's happening every night...learn from it, and move on. If you're lucky enough to make it to old age, even those "off nights" will be fond remembrances! Winking

Donny, it's not a case of keep playing steel and if I'm lucky enough to make it to old age......it's a case of I'm in old age and if I'm lucky enough to make it to playing the steel! Laughing
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 6:20 pm    

Just hit a good ole high Western E and keep going is what I always do.

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 7:12 pm    

I try to focus on putting as much tone into one note at a time, it slows me down and re-connects me to the instrument.

Remember that even Michael Jordan missed thousands of free throws and kept looking for ways to contribute.

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 15 Oct 2013 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 10:24 pm    

I think we've all had off days or nights. It's just the luck of the draw. Anything can cause it, it's a fickle thing. Off days , when, just practicing or noodling around are easy to deal with. I just get up and walk away and come back to it later or tomorrow. Easy peasy,no sweat, no pressure. Off days on a gig or recording are another thing. There's usually some pressure to deal with and we are the ones who are subject to it because we are always trying to do our best for ourselves and whomever is paying us. If I'm having an off gig or session, I will try to stay as simple as my mind will let me. That is, I won't try to play over the top or outdo myself. Keep it simple, that's all. Believe me, nobody really notices but you. In fact, they probably don't notice if you play something really extraordinary, anyway. Only your peers or other steel players will appreciate your prowess... good or bad. I'd love to say... Forget it, don't let it bother you, but, I can't. I know it does, that's natural. Anyone that says, that, it doesn't bother them is lying to themselves and anybody who's listening to them. Just let it pass and come back to it later or tomorrow. A clear fresh mind is like a clean slate, ready for new ideas.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2013 4:59 am    

When I have an off night I try to focus, keep it simple and play within my limited abilities.

I play in many situations that are quite challenging and diverse. If I am not able to play up to the level of the players around me I try to figure out what it is they know that I don't so I know what to practice when I get home. This has led to some really exciting discoveries. I do my best to keep playing music well out of my comfort zone. Keeps things interesting.

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2013 11:40 am     How do you deal with an off night?

Alan, don't necessarily say "phase of the moon" LOL. In a conversation with Jeff Newman (and he may have been pulling my leg) he said there were certain very famous singer's that would only record on a full moon. That the musicians would all be "UP" and everybody would play better. I had a friend that worked at a prison for the mentally insane. He said they dreaded full moon's because the inmates were wild and hard to control. Our body is about 90% water, I have heard. And a lot of it is in the brain. If the moon has enough force to pull the waves in the ocean it certainly is possible that it does something to the water in our brains or other parts of our body.. I don't know if I believe the phase of the moon affects playing or not, but I do not discount it as bunk either. There is more for mankind to learn than he has already learned. More study is needed. I'll bet the federal government would fund such a project. They waste money funding all sorts of other crazy stuff.

I don't want to get too deep into this, because I don't want to see a dark moon and think that me and the band will not be on tonight. Besides, I am an expert at not being on without the help of the moon or anybody else. I can do it all by myself. If everybody in the band believed that the moon was against us on a particular night, then we most likely would not even try to play well, thinking that it was beyond our control.
Harold Parris

Piedmont, Alabama USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2013 12:02 pm    

I rebuilt my Webb amp and it sounds so good I am enthused again. I played until 12:30 last night and did some fair picking. I got up this morning and started to play again and nothing seemed to work right. I finally gave up and told myself I would try again later.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2013 3:51 pm    

I have them - all too frequently! In my case I believe it's a case of my technical shortcomings rearing up to bite me when I get too carried away and reach for the unattainable.

I also happen to think that the difference in my 'good' nights and my 'not so good nights' isn't as marked as I believe it to be. We all have a 'hull speed'.....

I do this for a living, so I always tell myself to keep smiling through it all - I want to get the gig back again and a happy demeanour is a big plus when you're supposed to be entertaining folks.
Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2013 5:05 pm    

I usually start by setting fire to my NV112 then smashing my steel through the drum kit on an off night, it helps.
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2013 11:54 pm     Off Nights

Sounds like Jack Stoner should have more off nights. Jack is it a truly off night, are is it you are more tuned in Dialed in, in the grove, I know what I am trying to say, just dont know how to word it. Like driving in sync with your car

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 1:49 am    

John De Maille wrote:

"Believe me, nobody really notices but you."

That is SO true. Think you're having a bad night or session? There's an easy 90% chance that nobody notices it but you. If you think that your "bad" playing sticks out like a sore thumb then reassess what others are hearing.

We all like to believe that our playing and presence is more important than it is. Oh, sure, for the "big" pros, they're playing and presence is critical. But, even then, if it's not at a steel show or convention, the audience or crowd can't tell much, IF ANY, difference between an off-night or an on-night.

The same holds true for equipment. Got a new steel? New amp? New effect? The audience doesn't notice it unless, just maybe, they can visually see the difference. For example, you're playing with a new red guitar rather than the one you used to play. Other than that, put yourself behind a screen and play the old vs new equipment and the audience can't tell. Again, one or two might but the other 354+ can't.

Recognizing that reality doesn't have to be a downer. It can actually be pretty liberating and IMPROVE your playing.
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 3:59 am    

I really like those nights when nothing goes right and the band says, "boy, you were pickin tonight."?.
Your mind says ...............WHUUUUUUUUTTTTTT.