| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Many of You Play Sleepwalk on Stage?
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 2:57 pm    

Year after year the memory of Sleepwalk endures. Ask anyone in the general public which is their favorite steel guitar solo and a large proportion of them will say Sleepwalk, which also makes it a favorite requested number. Cool

It's incredible to think how young Santo Ferrina was when he worked out the arrangement. Almost everyone has played it since then, but I don't think anyone has improved on its simple perfection, and we today have his version for reference; when he and Johnny recorded it they had nothing to follow. Cool

I'll bet that many people took up playing steel because of the inspiration of Santo and Johhny.
Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 3:57 pm    

I used to play it regular but only periodically now but yea, it is the most recognizable steel guitar song out there as I bleive it was an intoduction of the steel guitar to a whole new age of youngsters at the time.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 4:03 pm     When I was a bit younger............

I used to get requests for that tune on a regular basis perhaps twenty years ago..........

It seemed always to be appreciated by the crowd.
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 4:29 pm     Sleepwalk

Never these days...it seems the front man always wants the spotlight. The days of throwing the ball to a side man for a song or instrumental is long over.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 4:46 pm    

I still play it often because I work with two 'classic Country' bands that feature a couple of instrumentals every night... not that Sleep Walk is classic Country, but it's still the best known steel guitar hit of all time and people recognize it and love it. They often come up to the bandstand after I play it and ask about the song, who recorded it? the name of tune? etc. It's great to work with singers who encourage the steel guitarist to play instrumentals and make them a featured part of the show.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 5:12 pm    

I had to play it for the bride and grooms song, at a wedding this summer. I was really surprised that they asked for that song. It worked out well and they were appreciative. Other than that, I've never played it publicly before.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 5:29 pm    

I play it a lot. People like it. Bandleaders like it. I play it well. Why not?

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 5:37 pm    

Its requested quite often at the places I play and the one who likes it most is my wife.
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 5:44 pm    

I used to sleepwalk on stage till I fell off of it and busted my head

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 6:23 pm    

I've always liked Sleepwalk. It has such a haunting "vocal" sound quality to it.
That's way before I even knew it was played on a steel guitar.
Years ago, I worked on a hokey horror movie called "Sleepwalkers"(as a make-up artist). One scene we shot had playback of the song for probably 3 days.
Still didn't get tired of it!
It was one of the 1st songs I tried to learn on lap steel a few years ago.
Last month, I played my 1st gig on pedal steel.
I enjoyed adding some lush chords and playing around with the arrangement a bit. Even let our lead guitar player take a solo!
It was one of our biggest hits of the night!
People still love it, and many told us of the sweet memories it brought back to them.
Hard to argue with that!
Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 4:37 am    

People love this tune. A lot recognize it but few know the name (at least in my experience). I had a bride and groom request sleep walk for a first dance. They had no clue of what the name of the tune was, but the bride was able to hum the melody. The down side for me is having played it about 50,000 times.

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 5:01 am    

I play it pretty often. Last night we did Sleepwalk and also had a request for Steel Guitar Rag. Smile
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 7:55 am     Tear Drop

I believe "TEAR DROP" was on the flip side of "Sleep Walk" I liked it equally as well. Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IunFDM2Udx0

ROGER
William Lake

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 9:10 am    

A few years ago, while undergoing financial desperation, I took my S10 Carter out in front of the local liquor store to busk.
Whenever I played Sleepwalk (a lot) I always got donations. It kept me from starving that year Razz
Thank you Santo & Johnny.

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 10:14 am    

Tear drop was the follow up to sleep walk. It's kinda sleep walk inside out. It's easy to play and can be easily run together with sleep walk. I think the flip side of sleep walk was "all night diner," which wan an up-tempo tune. I'm embarrassed that I know this.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 10:16 am    

Me, too. I really like it and, as has been stated here, it's a crowd favourite. I played the tune this last Summer for eighty straight nights!

There's a haunting quality to the melody that even I can't destroy - one of those songs in which the steel takes on the ambience of the human voice.

Very pretty and, in my opinion, way more acceptable than that other staple, 'Steel Guitar Rag'! If I'm asked for that I usually pretend that I've never heard of it... Smile
Ted Solesky

Mineral Wells, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 11:31 am     the song

I played it straight like it was recorded. Many guitarist play it jazzed. It help put the steel on the map. A great dance song. It made $$ for the artists Santo and Johnny and the record company. Sorry to say, but to record companies, $$ is what counts. The Emmons and Day and others are what I dig. But, I'm just a pick at it picker. The people don't know what they're missing. Ted
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 1:35 pm    

Even though I've been playing in a duo with a keyboard playing New Age Jazz and R&B we end every night with a very straight "Sleepwalk" and it usually is the favorite tune we play.

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 7:16 pm    

Well I was there with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in one of my rolled up white tee shirt sleeves with a pair of white loafers to match and my hair dripping with Wildroot.
"Sleepwalk" was just another one of those great I vi IV V songs but it was an instrumental and the girls didn't swoon over instrumentals and we didn't know a steel guitar from a harmonica or care.
The girls just wanted to hear a guy singing this their favorite of all of those I vi IV V Do Wah songs to them back then. I about cry every time I watch this video. Those had to be the best years ever, you dig!
click here
So I mix the two when I play "Sleepwalk"
Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 7:26 pm    

Santo hit some nice harmonics

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2013 2:08 pm    

Looks like Miley got her tongue routine from Rick???
David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 8:27 am    

I just heard a local rock-a-billy band (Kentucky Chrome) play it - the lead singer played it on a little 6-string C6 lap steel on a three leg stand. It was nice!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 11:59 am    

I do.
Rick Stratton

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 12:59 pm    

Larry:
I got my routine from the Maori people of New Zealand (Not meant to be disrespectful)!!

I don't know where Miley got hers from....
Gene Simmons from KISS?

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 2:00 pm    

And now, friends and neighbors...a version that most of you probably haven't heard! Alien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pCUR0gMXDc