| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1938-39 National Model B amp A BEAUTY PRICE DROP
John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2013 3:17 pm    

Hi guys,
Lowered to $695 plus ship.I got this some years back from the widow of the previous owner, who was an acoustic reso player and used this for display in his music room. This is a suitcase style amp with the chassis sitting inside the lid and the speaker cabinet in the bottom. So, when I got it , it didn't work and speaker was missing. I had it serviced, ancient caps replaced, had the output changed to handle a fixed magnet speaker instead of the field coil (this is a reversible modification, I believe, and was professionally done). Current speaker is a Fender-labelled 12" eminence. Amp is missing the metal cage that originally went on top of the amp (amp chassis was removable to set on a separate stand or table). As I said, it does work, not noisy, but the microphone channel has a tendency to want to feedback early on. The instrument channel works fine. No tone control on either channel. Power and rectifier tubes are old but good. The 6N7 preamp tubes include three glass ones I just bought from Antique Electronics and one NOS metal BUT I think it would have been smarter to get all metal tubes instead since there are no tube shields (and that may be explaining the feedback on the mic channel). The amp tech put a 3 amp fuse in there as he said it was running hot with the 2 amp and would occasionally blow that but doesn't blow the 3 amp; he thought a 2.5 amp would also work but he didn't have one at the time. Raising a fuse value is not something I would do without an OK from my tech, who's been working on these things for decades. Original cord. I think for most people this would not be a gigging amp and more of an addition to a collection, especially if you're into vintage National Lapsteels. It sure is cute! Possibly the leather handle is replaced. The covering is in wonderful shape. Not exactly sure how to price considering the changes, and very few of these come up for sale, but offering it at $750 plus $45 CONUS Shipping (OBO of course). Email me at jkally3@cox.net or you can PM although I tend to get to my PMs later. Thanks, and keep watching, I really need to whittle down my amp pile as I plan to make a move sometime next year to a smaller place!
Here's a link to more pics: http://s604.photobucket.com/user/jkchrome/library/1938%20National%20Model%20B

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 5:07 pm     1938-39 National Model B amp A BEAUTY PRICE DROP

Bump for the price drop.