| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  for my forum friends
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2013 6:38 pm    

Well I am just about finished re-building my new push pull and wanted to share some pictures of it. It started out as 4 and 5, but I really just wanted to keep it simple and set it up just like my other Emmons which has 3 and 4, with one small difference. I wanted the RKL to raise 1 and 2 while also lowering 6. My other Emmons raises 7 instead of lowering 6. So I took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it. I moved shafts around, and cleaned a lot of the small parts. It could use even more cleaning/polishing underneath but I will leave that for next time. I have learned that the only think crazier than playing pedal steel is working on one ! Bell cranks, pull rods, spacers, springs, e-clips (which i have come to despise), set screws, i know what all of them do and that they all are necessary. I thought I might have gone insane, but after 4 nights of working on this thing it is now in pretty good shape. I did run out of pull rods, as I moved one of the knee levers making the rods that were on it too short. I got some steel rods 1/8" and hammered the ends and drilled a hole. I want to replace them with stainless at some point but for now they are fine. However I did break one of the wires that attaches the pull rods to the fingers in the changer so I have to find something to replace it with before I put the last pull on my guitar (10th string). I also seem to have misplaced the 4 screws that go in the back of the changer (last pic). If someone could tell me what size and type of screws they are that would be great. I hope you like the pics, i wish i took the time to make it shinier underneath but it works good and sounds even better !

Last edited by Karen Sarkisian on 19 Sep 2013 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2013 6:55 pm    

Looking Geeeeeeaaaaaat! Very Happy

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2013 9:40 pm     Nice Job.

If I hadn't traded my old Push-Pull off, yrs ago, I certainly would be inspired by you to tackle a job like this. MY HAT'S OFF TO YA!!!! I didn't know what I had, and I didn't have the Forum, or the knowledge to do the job. My LeGrande almost has that PP tone, and I'll stick with it till my hands quit workin', then I'll just set it up and look at it. NICE JOB!!!!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2013 10:08 pm    

Great job, Karen. You're brave to take on that job! I did something similar on my Emmons many years ago (just once) and it took me a couple of days to figure out how to put it back together! There's no such thing as a quick, easy repair on an Emmons push/pull, unless you're one of the expert repair guys here on the forum.
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 7:04 am    

Looks like some type of 1/2" or so length machine screw, probably a #4 or #6 or #8, but doubt its that big. If you have a Lowes or Home Depot you could pick up 3 or 4 small packs in that range...one of em should fit. Might have a little problem finding with the right type head to counter-sink into the holes though.

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 8:10 am     Re: for my forum friends

[quote="Karen Sarkisian]I also seem to have misplaced the 4 screws that go in the back of the changer (last pic). If someone could tell me what size and type of screws they are that would be great. [/quote]

Great effort, Karen!

Please, before you go any further, if your guitar is tuned up to pitch, loose up the strings! The tension could really do some harm to your guitar without the changer back plate attached to the changer and the cabinet. Right now the only thing holding the changer to the cabinet are those two wood screws through the legs of the pillars. Be sure you also remember to replace the two 6-32 Allen head machine screws that go from the end plate flange up through the cabinet and into the back plate.

As for the missing four screws; The originals were most likely the very special nickel plated 8-32 x 5/8 long oval head Phillips screw (with a #6 head). Not a very common type of screw, so hopefully you can find the ones you lost. If not, a good hardware store probably has some with a standard (#8 head) which just won't go down as far into the counter sinks as the others do.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 8:27 am    

Hey, I was close!

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 9:10 am    

Those can be found at Marinas and Boat stores most are high quality polished stainless. Hope this helps. Cool
Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 11:28 am    

Very good job Karen, I'll send my 1981 D10 P/P next week, it needs everything.

Ken
Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 11:28 am    

Very good job Karen, I'll send my 1981 D10 P/P next week, it needs everything.

Ken
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 3:17 pm    

you da man, karen! Laughing good work.