| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginners book
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 7:16 am    

Hello everyone. I'm interested in learning if there is a consensus on the best book for beginning pedal steel. I realize a teacher would be more efficacious but that is not an option. I have discovered the Mickey Adams vids and some others. If you could only have one book which would it be?

Best regards,

Ken Campbell
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 7:23 am     Pedal Steel Guitar by Winnie Winston & Bill Keith

The Winnie Winston book has pretty much been the gold standard since it was first released in the mid '70s. You can't go wrong with the information provided in this book. It's as relevant today as it was nearly 40 years ago. Unfortunately, the instrument itself may be less relevant than it was 40 years ago.

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 8 Sep 2013 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 7:24 am    

Mickey's book is excellent. Another fine choice is what is popularly known of as "The Bible" and is still being published by Oak Publications by Winnie Winston and is simply called Pedal Steel Guitar. Jay Leach has a nice entry level book and is called First Lessons- Pedal Steel Guitar.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 8:30 am    

I like the Winnie Winston book. Started off with that a year ago and have made good headway into it. It's got a real fun vibe to it and the material is challenging enough to keep you pushing and cussing.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 8:42 am    

I started with the old Sho-Bud instruction book (the one that had Jeff Newman on the front cover).

My wife started on pedal steel about two years ago and the books available at some music stores are no where near as good as the Sho-Bud book. She did get the Jeff Newman Up from the Top series on the A and B pedals and the D and F levers (what Jeff called them). That is a very good starter course.

I've seen a lot about the Winnie Winston book but never had a chance to look through one.

Don Sulesky, the current Florida Steel Guitar Club President, has some beginner (and advanced) items. Don is listed on the forum. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=237516
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 9:13 am    

The Winston/Keith book is full of valuable information that is still current, though the copedent is very basic and I think some of the tabs are more advanced than a beginner should be offered.

The Mickey Adams book is excellent and contemporary; the cost is 5 times that of Winston/Keith but with a lot more content.

I only perused the Jay Leach book this past January, but it looks to be very basic and would be excellent for the rank beginner.

Nothing beats face-to-face lessons with a private teacher for the beginning student. Start off the right way and in the right direction and you'll get where you're going quicker and easier... but you acknowledged that's not an option, so... never mind. Wink

I think you'd get the most out of Mickey Adams book. Just MHO.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 11:11 am    

I got my son the Mickey Adams book and I think it is very well done. I started with Winnie Winston, but I wish Mickey Adams had been available.
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 11:49 am    

i'm working with the jeff newman "up from the top" series. i've been playing two months, and i honestly can't believe how far i've come with these books. i bring a lot of music knowledge and learning with me to the pedal steel, but the newman books break things down in a way that helps to start creating stuff on your own right away. they also help me identify common patterns and "moves" when i'm working on transcriptions.

the only fault is that they are ridiculously expensive.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 12:02 pm    

Dave, that you cannot believe how far you have come in two months with the Newman materials sounds like they are worth it.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 12:30 pm    

Very worth it! Try some lessons from an instructor, that tends to get expensive. JMHO Winking
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 12:40 pm    

Chris Lucker wrote:
Dave, that you cannot believe how far you have come in two months with the Newman materials sounds like they are worth it.

Very Happy Very Happy

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 12:46 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I started with the old Sho-Bud instruction book (the one that had Jeff Newman on the front cover).

Me too, along with Neil Flanz's most excellent Sho~Bud instructional record, and I was playing gigs in just a few months.

I also expanded my chest by 3" and started kicking sand in bullies' faces at the beach in just 90 days. Oh wait, never mind. That was the Charles Atlas course. Not relevant.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 2:10 pm    

Cal, I didn't mention it but the old Neil Flanz lick album was also what got me started after going through the book. I still use those licks today.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 2:38 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Cal, I didn't mention it but the old Neil Flanz lick album was also what got me started after going through the book. I still use those licks today.

Neil's C6th chord book was a big help, too.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Mike Heugel

Taylor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2013 8:40 pm    

Strictly from a value perspective, I've found Jay Leach's "First Lessons - Pedal Steel" to be about the most comprehensive and complete package that won't break the bank. For $17, you get a DVD/Book/CD combination package that will get you started by covering basic technique and application on the basic 3 pedal / 3 knee lever E9th setup.

There's easily a year's worth of work or more in this book to really get you up and running, and it's very easy to supplement down the road with the "old standards" like the Winnie Winston book, the Deluxe Pedal Steel and Anthology of Pedal Steel books by DeWitt Scott, and the great Jeff Newman materials.

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2013 7:56 am    

I feel Jay Leach's new book is the current gold standard in published primers. Jay presents essential knowledge and skills for beginners in a logical, simple, understandable sequence. And he does it with SONGS right from the beginning, a glaring omission in other books. Highly recommended, and an amazing value as well, as Mike Heugel points out.
John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2013 12:49 pm     Leach Book & More...

I have to agree with Mike and John here…Jay’s book is spot on especially for the “first day out of the box” beginner. It’s more “linear” in its approach, as compared to Winnie’s book.

Now, I’ve just been playing 2 years+, and I got the Jay Leach book just recently and worked through it, so at this point I probably get more out of Winnie’s. You can “work through” Jay’s book….Winnie’s book one never really “gets through with”, at least for me!

I highly recommend, as a supplement to whatever book you choose, Mark Van Allen’s “Music Theory & the Number System for E9 Pedal Steel”. This 2-CD audio set is a great way to understand not only music theory, but how to APPLY it to E9 pedal steel.
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2013 10:33 am    

For an absolute beginner, I downloaded a copy of Mel Bay's "Easiest Country Pedal Steel Guitar Book". I provides several pages of info on hand positions, blocking, reading tab, tuning, pedal functions, etc. and has 8 or 10 simple songs tabbed out. It is by DeWitt Scott. It also only cost $5 and is small and not as intimidating as a thick course type book. Only real downfall is that it does not include audio tracks for the songs, but several of them are well known melodies. It is only 29 pages so you can download and print it out and put it in a 3 ring binder or something if you don't want to wait on the bound version. I've got the Winnie Winston book on order, but thought this would be a good introduction and something to work on until it gets delivered. By the way, if you want to download this you will have to do it directly through Mel Bay's website...it is not available in E-Book format on Amazon, etc.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2013 1:09 pm    

I had already been playing for a while before I got any instructional material. The Winston book was early on, but I think my first was the John Hughey 13 week section of the Emmons 52 week lesson series. Of course, it really didn't teach anything other than how to play the songs he tabbed out. I haven't seen the Jay Leach book, but any beginner book that goes beyond just tab is, in my mind, a good book. Especially if it covers topics like blocking, picking, some basic theory. The Winston book does that very well. The other beginning books may also, I have just never really looked at them. Mickey Adams' book is great, although not cheap. I don't know if it would be overwhelming for a real newbie. I looked through a copy that a friend has, and it is an awesome book.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.