| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommendations for Recording Software
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2013 8:50 pm    

Hi all, I'm thinking once again about creating a CD, and that of course leads me back to thinking about software. In terms of hardware I have a Heil PR-31 BW mic running through a Fast Track 2, which came with a copy of Pro Tools SE. I only tried SE once but I found it so horrible to use that I haven't tried it since. I've recorded a track in the past with Pro Tools LE, and that experience was fine. I've done a small bit of recording lately with Audacity, which was fine. However, the Fast Track outputs the mic through the left channel and the line-in through the right channel, so that makes it a little weird to use. I'd have to record the tracks in stereo, and then mix each one down to Mono in order to use it. Or just mic the amp I guess; probably what I'd do anyways.

Of course free is always best, but I'm not opposed to paying a reasonable amount; $700 for Pro Tools full version is a bit over the top for me though. If some of y'all have had a good experience with Pro Tools SE I'd be willing to give it another try. Another one that I just thought about is Adobe Audition. $350 is still a bit high, but I don't mind paying for quality. I'm a student at UNT so I can probably get student versions of most software.

I guess I should also mention that I run Windows 7, and system resources aren't an issue. I have 4-core 3.6GHz Intel processor, 16GB of RAM, 60GB OS SSD, (x2) 2TB 7200RPM HDDs in RAID1 config, and a 25GB SSD for my page file (What can I say, my summer job is building servers).

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2013 2:22 am    

I use Sonar X2. It is more "Windows like" in its interface and uses. Sonar is also 32 or 64 bit (ProTools, except for the new version is only 32 bit). There are several versions and prices for Sonar.

Sonar, unlike older versions of ProTools does not require proprietary hardware such as MAudio devices.

I have both Sonar and ProTools MP9. I could never get into ProTools, even after taking a Groove Tube tutorial, and thus it is installed but I haven't used it for a long time. I do not like that it requires a Pace iLok key. There are many on other recording forums that have mostly negative comments to say about iLok and its support.

Another to look into is Reaper. It is free to download and try.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2013 3:51 am    

I use Reaper a lot. I should say that I do my drum tracks in EZDrummer, Keyboard parts in EZKeys, port them to a Zoom R24. I then record all the real instrument tracks on the Zoom: pedal steel, bass, manual piano overlays, lead and rhythm guitars etc. Then port the Zoom real tracks back to the PC for final mix in Reaper. I takes about 3 minutes to port the Reaper files to the Zoom using a USB drive and about 5 minutes to port the Zoom files back to Reaper using the Zoom SD card.

I have a modest PC by your standards and have done up to 34 track projects with tons of VST add on compressors, EQ, and effects on all channels. I use stereo tracks for the piano and drums and mono for all other instruments.

The Zoom excels at grabbing tracks with no latency problems or PC crashes. Reaper excels at mixing, editing and mastering and is under $100 to buy and free to try.

Here's a link that explains my setup and process:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Zoom%20R24%20Home%20Studio/Zoom%20R24%20Home%20Studio.html

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2013 7:22 am    

Matthew,

Check your email.

Mark

Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AZE III, Fender FRFR 12
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2013 7:56 pm    

Check out Presonus Studio One. I've tried it all and this is my favorite. It takes you from start all the way through mastering and burning to CD or digital file. Plenty of built in effects, and super easy to learn. Some of the pro studios are using it now. Good luck with the project!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 6:10 am    

I had no idea Pro Tools was that much ! Holy Cow..I bought Pro Tools 8M which I still use when 9 came out..full version for $150! Yes it requires MAudio interfaces but thats what I have anyway.. I see the Academic version is $299 or less... I happen to think PT's is very intuitive ! It was easy to learn and it's easy to use..for me... I also have a version or two of Sonar, 7 and 8 , I like them..and I have used Cubase..I never figured out how to edit with it...I couldn't get rid of it fast enough..I looked at Reaper..also a nice package, certainly should be a consideration for a small home studio...

I have had zero issues with ILOk..most of the people on the forums who had trouble didn't follow instructions and missed a step or two...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 5:57 pm    

Ditto for Reaper. They have a very active forum. If you get stuch post a question and another user will help you. Friendly forum indeed.
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2013 2:31 pm    

Well, as us Waltons are seemingly wont to do, I took everybody's suggestions, did some more solo research, took everything into careful consideration, went to Guitar Center, and completely threw all the previous advice out of the window!
I've had some problems with my Fast Track in the past, so I was already thinking about getting a different interface. I was going back and forth between the equally priced Presonus AudioBox USB and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I almost went with the AudioBox, since it had MIDI (you never know!), but somebody pointed out that it's still using USB 1.5! For a second I thought about going up in price for more options and MIDI, but I realized that I will probably never actually need it. Anyways, I can rationalize my choice a little bit, since the 2i2 came with a copy of Ableton Live Lite, or I can download the free version of Presonus Studio One.

For those interested, I also got a pair of studio monitors. It probably took about an hour of agonizing hemming and hawing, but I finally went with the Yamaha HS5 speakers (again, a departure from what I had originally considered). I'll keep y'all posted on how they are.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 5:45 pm    

For those interested, I finally got around to trying to record something with Ableton Live. Honestly, it's about as painful as Pro Tools SE (others are fine). It's advertised as a sequencer and DAW, but to me it feels really lacking in the DAW department for what I'm trying to do. I'm sure it's fine if you spend enough time with it and are using it as a fancy loop track, but it's just plain awkward to use.
I think I'm going to try REAPER next. The license is cheap enough that if I love it, I can actually afford it, and also the fact that it seems full-featured.
If I don't like that one, I'll probably try Studio One Lite next. If I don't like that one either, I'll try getting a Pro Tools trial and sucking up the price (for the student version).

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 9:57 pm    

Just finished using Reaper... I think I'm in love guys!
Here's me doing Sleepwalk. The tempo isn't super consistent, and I mixed it with headphones, but I gotta say: I don't think it's too bad! I really like the "take" feature of it. It was a little confusing getting it to work, but it wasn't too bad.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 5:46 pm    

This thread has my interest. I'm new to all this and have just been using Audacity because it's so easy to use. I also bought the Scarlett 2i2, which came with Ableton Lite. That software just didn't feel right to me from the get-go.
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 8:01 pm    

Curt, there could very well be a way around it, but when I tried Audacity it registered one input as left channel and the other as right channel. I didn't know as much about it at the time, so I didn't really take the time to try and figure it out. The other thing is that I don't think Audacity is really meant to be a DAW, it's more like Audition (which received a non-recommendation from the guys at Guitar Center). Like others, I now recommend REAPER. I am finding it fairly easy to use, and I really like the way multiple takes work. Basically, if you want to record another take, you just record with the same track, and it will automatically put it as a new take in the same track. This is really great for keeping track of all the parts. Also, the fact that it has a two-month free trial makes it really easy to find out if you actually want to pay the super high price of $60.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 9:25 am    

Matt, I'm not sure what issue you were having with Audacity. I'm just beginning to learn how to recording, so I just plug my Scarlett 2i2 into it and record my individual tracks mono. Maybe someday I'll learn how to do mixing, and then I'll probably have to move on from Audacity to software that's more specialized. I have a long way to go.

Last evening, I was recording some doubletracking to make the steel sound more brassy, so I'm starting to become more demanding of Audacity, but I haven't reached its limitations yet. I still don't know if Audacity alone can create a final, polished product.
W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, DFW till May 2025
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 10:44 pm    

I just opened my studio and went with the Sonar X2 Producer.
Just to mix and master
I have a lot to learn but I do have 'dog ears' and that really helps.
WC

1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Ty England & more
wcedgar.com
Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2013 5:26 am     Recording

I have an iMac I use as my computer and I use Logic Pro X to record. My sound card interface is the Apogee Symphony I/O. I use Equator Q 12 and Adam S3A as Monitors. My pre's are D W Fearn and UAD. I never have any problems with my system. If I do have a problem it is always with me not my system. I found to get the most out of what I wanted and the least problem is to buy things that are mated to each other. The iMac, Logic Pro X, and The Apogee Symphony I/O are made to work seamlessly with each other. Miss matching programs and hard ware is what so many people do and expect streaming audio. Do your home work and you will have less problems. Talk and research every buy you are going to do. So much of the digital recording programs out there are more Hassel than what they are worth. They will not work with another program and you spend more time solving problems instead of recording. On the other hand my system I record and do not have to solve problems. If I have a problem it is me not my system.

Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner
Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2013 5:27 am     Recording

I have an iMac I use as my computer and I use Logic Pro X to record. My sound card interface is the Apogee Symphony I/O. I use Equator Q 12 and Adam S3A as Monitors. My pre's are D W Fearn and UAD. I never have any problems with my system. If I do have a problem it is always with me not my system. I found to get the most out of what I wanted and the least problem is to buy things that are mated to each other. The iMac, Logic Pro X, and The Apogee Symphony I/O are made to work seamlessly with each other. Miss matching programs and hard ware is what so many people do and expect streaming audio. Do your home work and you will have less problems. Talk and research every buy you are going to do. So much of the digital recording programs out there are more Hassel than what they are worth. They will not work with another program and you spend more time solving problems instead of recording. On the other hand my system I record and do not have to solve problems. If I have a problem it is me not my system.

Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner