| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Before They Were Bigtime
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 2:40 am    

Sonny Curtis is a well known and influential steel player who enjoyed tenures as one of the Jones Boys and later, re-christened under Tammy Wynette, as one of the Country Gentlemen. Of course he didn't just land those gigs out of the blue. He worked the front lines for years. Before he was "bigtime" he was one of Donny Bowshier's Radio Ranch Boys, for example...

and they sounded like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjpw95dCPrY

What were some of your favorite players doing before they became more widely heard by the public at large, before they were "Bigtime"?
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 3:16 am    

Elegant simple solo and IN TUNE! Shows influences of some of the great players of the day.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 3:19 am    

My first steel guitar was a triple 8 National, just like that one. Way too cool.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 3:34 am    

That is too cool, Richard!
What kind of amplifiers did you guys use with your first steels?

Just a novelty question I guess; nothing like derailing your own thread early!
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 9:03 am    

I believe Dan Dugmore's first steel job was with John Stewart, before he became "famous" with Linda Ronstadt

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 9:09 am    

Buddy Emmons with one of his early bands. I don't know who the other players are, but I think this was taken before Buddy moved to Nashville.

Some players score big at a young age, like Jimmy Day in his early 20s. It doesn't get much bigger than this...

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 25 Aug 2013 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 9:37 am    

Hall of Fame Member Leonard T. Zinn with his first band, 1940. His guitar looks like an Oahu Iolana D-6

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 25 Aug 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 10:02 am    

My first amp was really a small crappy amp. Twin Reverb with JBL's. Laughing Laughing Just funnin' guys. Great amp. I was a drummer prior to playing steel and traded my drumset in on the Twin. It was about a 70 or 71 (I bought it in 71) silverface, and it was awesome.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 12:31 pm    

Doug, I really never liked that album cover . The only thing cool about it is that blue Emmons guitar and that the photo was shot in Buddy Emmons' back yard!
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2013 3:09 pm     Sonny Curtis

... and his AB pedal set-up is the reverse 0f what is used today.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2013 3:40 pm    

To expand on Don's post, by "reverse", he doesn't mean the "Day setup". Sonny tuned the guitar as follows (only A & B pedals shown):

Tab:

A    B
F#
D#
A...........G#
E
C#.....B
A..........G#
F#
E
D
C#.....B

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 5:09 am    

At Bobby Bowman’s request I shall supply a bit of info regarding the picture. The steel is a triple neck Fender and the amp is the 1949 Fender Super Tube Tweed Amp with a V shaped front and two speakers, what size I don’t know. I left home at age 16 so I’m assuming I was 15 years old when the picture was taken.

The venue was the Majorette Tavern in Mishawaka, Indiana, the band was the Choctaw Cowboys, the person playing bass was band leader Bob Reed, and the guitar player was Eddy Hopkins. The shirts probably came from Sears and I don’t remember whose beer that was on the floor.
Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 5:14 am    

At Bobby Bowman’s request I shall supply a bit of info regarding the picture. The steel is a triple neck Fender and the amp is the 1949 Fender Super Tube Tweed Amp with a V shaped front and two speakers, what size I don’t know. I left home at age 16 so I’m assuming I was 15 years old when the picture was taken.

The venue was the Majorette Tavern in Mishawaka, Indiana, the band was the Choctaw Cowboys, the person playing bass was band leader Bob Reed, and the guitar player was Eddy Hopkins. The shirts probably came from Sears and I don’t remember whose beer that was on the floor.
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 5:22 am    

I bet that beer was the base players , They really like beers, It drowns out the highs of the steel player, Ha

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 7:09 am    

Wow! This is the coolest thing about this forum...Buddy Emmons verifying the post/picture about himself, and anything else he wants to post period. Mr. Emmons you were the slickest looking guy on that stage as always. The first time I got to hear you play was at the only NAMM show ever in Atlanta, GA (1976). I wanted to play PSG ever since that moment. I stood their watching you play in that derby hat, perched way up in the air until my knees gave out. You were the first musician I saw, and the only one I remember when I walked through the doors. Richard is it true that drummers leave their drum sticks on the dash of their car so they can park in the handy cap spots?...Smile

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 7:14 am     Big E

Thanks Cheez. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
BB
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 9:22 am    

Thank you Buddy Emmons! I had to look up the Fender Super Tube Tweed since I had never come across one in person.

A seller with a '52 in OK shape is asking about $3500,and I don't see any '49s for sale, so it's a pretty rare bird these days. According to this page,

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/classic-amps-821.aspx

the Super Tube Tweed's V-cab and 2-10" configuration were holdovers from the brief run of Dual Professionals,issued in '47, which are believed to be the first twin speaker combos manufactured by a large producer.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 11:06 am    

There's one on ebay right now, currently $3,250.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-VINTAGE-1949-LEO-FENDER-SUPER-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-708-TWEED-DELUXE-TWIN-/130868412206
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 6:16 pm    

That's a pretty nice specimen. I bet it was loud given what was available. Bet the bass player didn't give Buddy any volume trouble then, now, did he?
Ha!

Man, too cool that Buddy Emmons stopped by. Lets milk this thing!

Anybody have anything on Lloyd Green?
Mr. Green
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 6:26 pm    

Quote:
Anybody have anything on Lloyd Green?

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 7:25 pm    

Is he holding a slide and has picks on? Nice threads, and the shine on those shoes - whew!

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 7:40 pm    

nice Doug!
A Rick and an Oahu. Now, that's a sound. The amp's almost as big as Lloyd there and Carl's right, it looks for sure, that the bar is in one hand, and the picks are on the other. Looks like its wired in, too.

I gather Lloyd Green was a success story of the door to door Oahu sales campaign that was so intensive at that time?