| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for Stereo Head Phones
Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 7:16 am    

I'm looking for a good set of Stereo head Phones. I had got a pair from Al Brico in Canada about 5 to 6 years ago and I loved these head phones.One day i put them on my head and Pow the plastic on the side that holds the thin steel rods broke. I said well ther e were about 5 years old or so so I got another pair from him and I got them a little less than a year ago and the same thing just happened to them.I called Al and he said he could not do any thing about them and he does not carry them any more.I'm not blaming Al Brisco for this it is just it was not a good product.So I need to find a good set that will not break. I just got a set from a music store and they have no Volume control and the one's I had had a volume control and a switch that you could also flip and knock off the stereo.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 10:06 am    

I don't know that there is a set that won't break at some time. I have some Sennheiser's that I paid about $100 for and they have been holding up for about 8 years now, and are in perfect shape. They sound great too.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 10:24 am    

They are both European 'phones, but I have always found the AKG and Beyer range to be top class performers. I have them in my studio and rate both manufacturers very highly.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 5:42 am    

Sony MDR-7520 Professional Studio Stereo Headphones.

I keep 'em in the vault when I'm not using them.

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 6:53 am    

I agree with Richard. I use to live in headphones, and for comfort, price and durability Seinheisser's for a hundred bucks are hard to beat.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 6:54 am    

I agree with Richard. I use to live in headphones, and for comfort, price and durability Seinheisser's for a hundred bucks are hard to beat.
Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 8:59 am     Grado's

Grado's are usually the best rated by the audiophile magazine's, I wonder what people's experience with them is?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 11:20 am     Need a good pair of headphones

Sam, I am very happy with my Audio Technia ATH-M50 headphones. They are full size, completely covering both ears. They are comfortable to wear for long periods. The main reason I went with these is that they have a 1/8 inch plug on the ends and are designed to work with low level output devices like my Zoom H-2 portable digital recorder or ipods, portable CD players, portable cassette players, etc. They oome with a metal 1/8 to 1/4 inch adapter so you can use them on things that require a 1/4 inch plug.

Check your PM for where I got mine and the price I paid.
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 3:01 pm    

We use Sennheiser HD25s. These headphones are pretty much an industry standard here because you can wear 'em for a long time without ear fatigue setting in. Isolation is adequate, sound quality is superb and they can take a beating.
If you get a pair you'll probably start seeing these everywhere; from sportscasters through broadcast, recording and DJs.
The HD25s are to headphones what the NS10ms were to monitors IMO. A bit more expensive than $100.00 but you get what you pay for. Smile
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD25-1-II-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B000TDZOXG

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 11:50 am    

Grado are the best sounding by a country mile. There are several models, but even the basic models are fantastic. I have a pair of SR225. The cord is a little short, and it's a 1/4 jack, so you'll need an adapter if you're plugging into a 1/8 output. They sound amazing. For recording sessions, I use the classic Sony MDR-7506, because for that you need closed headphones to prevent leakage.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 1:14 pm    

The Sennheiser I have is the HD280 pro. Price does make a difference, but for just using to listen to music on your laptop, Mp3 player, etc, you don't need to spend $200 or more. If I did a lot of studio work, I might invest in phones that cost several hundred dollars, but I have taken mine into studios where they beat any of the phones the studio had in respect to comfort and sound quality.

Mine also has the 1/4" stereo plug. I think most of the more expensive/pro models do. They really aren't made to use with our computer or Mp3 player, but rather larger stereos or studio use.

This is another "your mileage may vary" situation. I know people who swear by those stupid little headphones that have foam ear pads instead of nice closed pads. I HATE those foam ones, but a lot of studios use them. Whatever you like the best is what you should buy.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 2:19 pm    

I'm very happy with my Audio Technica as well, they're not the M-50s though, mine are only the M-30s but they work great.

Awesome price as well, here's a link to them:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2013 4:56 am    

AKG's have flimsy cords, and when they short out the minimum factory charge is $60 plus your shipping. The AKG K240's are a studio standard, but I can't afford to wast more money. I have had great luck with Sennheisers also, the HD485's are a semi-open I have on right now, and their HD280's are my choice for sealed cans - unless I'm in a room with a drummer. Then I use the "Extreme Isolation" EX29's - they were invented by a drummer to keep himself from going deaf. As primarily a bassist, I spent way too many nights crowded back on a tiny stage with my left ear next to a drummer's "crash" cymbal. If I play without the Isolation cans, goo runs out of my ear the next day.... they are heavy, and hot though.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2013 5:08 am    

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

Very inexpensive, very adequate. I've used them for home recording and I was pleased enough that I bought another pair for the producer's chair. Detachable cord and adapters for 1/4" & 1/8".
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2013 3:13 pm    

Another vote here for the Audio Technia ATH-M50....love 'em....
André Sommer

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 6:49 am    

And again, another vote for the ATH-M50. Excellent headphones!
Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2013 8:35 pm    

I have Grado SR 80's, which are even their lower end model I believe, and they provide an incredible listening experience. Favorite headphones ever. Music comes alive. Bass sounds killer. Music sounds "real". After owning these, closed headphones sound too boomy and artificial to me.

Pros. Great value, comfortable, "open back" aspect makes for great stereo sound. I like to wear them and play along through an amp. Great for the music room or lounge chair next to your stereo.

Cons. Useless on an airplane, in a loud environment.

Check em out.