| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zager guitar
Bill R. Baker

Clinton, MS USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 4:05 pm    

I have been hearing about the Zager acoustic guitar.
The company lauds the tone and easy play. Anyone tried one or know anything about it.
Thanks, Bill
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 5:04 pm    

http://www.zagerguitar.com/?event=public.store.guitars.reviews
Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 6:07 am    

I have 2, a ZAD 20E & a ZAD 50, I like the 50 best. I don't play the 20E enough to justify keeping it around, so it's going to a family member. They both have very low action with a light touch - they absolutely live up to Zager's claims in my opinion. These guitars are perfect for me, I don't play enough guitar to keep up my callouses anymore, so when I do play I don't spend the next couple of days complaining about painful fingertips. Because of the low action & light strings, you won't get the kind of projection you would expect from a Gibson, or Martin, but for low volume acoustic duty they are great. Their Electronics are typical of most mid range peizo's which sound harsh to me, I put a Seymore Duncan Woody in the 50 (semi permanent installation) which I like more than the peizo.

As I understand it, Zager buys bulk raw-ish guitars, built to his spec, then sets them up and finishes them very nicely. Both of my guitars were Blems (finish), but I couldn't find anything wrong with them, you can contact them directly if you are interested in saving a couple of bucks.

Their service has been exemplary in my experience, in short I like them a lot.

Clinton, MS USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 6:23 am     Zager

Barry, Walter, thanks for responding. It just seems to me that if the action is the same on two guitars then
they should play the same. I am wondering why the
Zager guitar will play easier than say my Martin if the action is the same. However, I have not played the Zager so I do not know from experience.
Thanks again,
Bill
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 6:30 am    

The Zagers are great folks. I've have two and they both play very easily. They are set up to perfection. They are truly guaranteed...my first one, a Sigma/Martin DR41 developed a buzz around the 12th fret. I contacted Denny Jr. He asked me to send it back. They fixed it free and returned it in a brand new case. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 8:21 am    

Hi Bill,

I can't explain the setup mojo that Denny applies to the guitars, but they are significantly easier on my fingers (fast action too) than any of the Gibsons J50's i've owned, or Martin's Ive played in the past. +1 on Rick's post, their Customer Service is as good as I've ever encountered.

Just be aware that if you buy one it's a great guitar, but it's NOT a bluegrass cannon.

While I haven't mentioned it yet, I DO like the tone of the guitars, I find the 50 has a little more bottom end to which is why I prefer it over the 20.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 10:42 am    

I am glad to find this discussion. I am needing a relatively inexpensive project guitar and like others, not being a full time guitar player, ease of playing is a major plus. I've figured that it was a pipe dream to hope to find a reliably easy playing guitar in the price range we are looking at here. This looks like a very promising option. For me, less bottom/boom would probably be an asset for recording rhythm tracks so a 20 might be just right.
Thank you, gentlemen.