| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone tool their own leather guitar straps?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 7:42 am    

I have been checking out various sites on tooling leather and figure before I make a mess I would get some input on how to go about this.

I thought it could become a side hobby. Any insight is appreciated.

Lenny

Last edited by Len Amaral on 22 Aug 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 7:20 am    

Wiz, our Computer Section Guru, did at one time.
I've worked with a bassist who has a beautiful strap that Wiz made.

He's no longer doing leather work, but might be a good source of info.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 1:33 pm    

My wife worked with leather tooling for a while. She made me a really nice belt and a really beautiful guitar strap. She also made several other guitar straps for herself and some friends. She hasn't done it in a while, but, she still has all her tools and I'm sure she hasn't forgotten how to do it. I'm sure she could answer most of your questions.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 1:51 pm    

Thanks for responding....after watching some youtube video clips on tooling leather I figure I'll order the tools on Amazon.com and give it a try.
Glenn Uhler

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 2:35 pm     Not as easy as it looks!

Just a caution, Lee. Watching the folks on Youtube make it look easy. It's not as easy as it looks!

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 3:21 pm    

I do this! I make straps and belts, and beer coozies. If you want to see my latest work, checkout http://www.mckinnonmade.com

Happy to answer questions, fire away!

Casey
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 4:50 pm    

Any chance I get to post pics of my Tele I'll Jump on!
This was done about 20 years ago... I still have all the tools but alas no time Sad
The tools came from Tandy leather here in Oz but they are a US company (Fort Worth? from memory) Dunno if they still exist though. The engraved silver work was done by Eldorado who also make superb carved leather goods.
If you are starting out there are some very good books by Al Stohlman that will guide you through the whole process...Start with a wallet or belt.... this will give you the confidence to grow.
Hope this helps,
Geoff

Edit.... just found the book I started with on Amazon...Still exists... This takes you through everything you need to get started.... he has a lot of other great books that are a little more advanced, but all are well worth the investment. http://www.amazon.com/Seven--Patterns-Instructions-Carving-Leather/dp/B000BD1334/ref=sr_1_32?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377136134&sr=1-32

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 7:50 pm    

And yes, Tandy is still the way to go. www.tandyleatherfactory.com , but best to visit them at the store to ask questions about which tools to use for what job.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2013 6:51 am    

Thanks everyone for the advice. Casy, nice website. Geoff, what beautiful job on the tooled leather covering for the TELE, absolutely beautiful.

I need to know what type of leather you would use for a guitar strap and if I were to make leather place matts for a table.

I will check out the Tandy Leather website.

Lenny
Casey McKinnon

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2013 9:36 am     Strap leather

For Guitar Straps, I suggest just buying "Belt Blanks", at 50" long, and 2.5" wide. It is the easiest way to get started on a strap. You'll also need a pattern for the strap, so you know how to cut it up and make it adjustable.

Here's a link to the Strap Leather:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-cad/home/department/leather-belts-leather-straps/4523-190.aspx

As for the placemats, it depends on if you want to carve the placemats, or if you just want leather placemats. If you want to carve them, just pickup a half-shoulder of leather and cut it in rectangular shapes using a ruler/straight-edge. I suggest asking the Tandy folks to show you the various leathers they have in-stock and explain what you want to do with it. They will help you pick a piece of leather that would be best for what you want to do.

Cheers,
Casey
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2013 10:48 am    

Casey, thank you so much for your insight. I went to the Tandy leatherr website and they have a store in North Chelmsford, MA about an hour and a half away so next week I will take a ride with a friend and visit the store. It should be fun.

I'm so glad I posted this question on tooling leather as it was either this or knitting
...... Whoa!

Really, I have wanted to try tooling leather for a long time. I will practice on small pieces at first and work my way to guitar straps. The place mats I would like to do a simple design at the corners.

Once I practice a bit I will post some samples.

Regards,

Lenny
Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2013 2:07 pm    

I did a (very) little bit of leather work way back when. I will second everybody above on Tandy being the place to start. I just want to add that once you get started don't forget your local tack and saddle shop for leather and hardware like D-rings and buckles.

HTH. Enjoy!