| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shubb Bars
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 1:56 pm    

It was a strange feel for me when I tried a dobro bar and I had a variety dobro and lap steel bars. However, being a pedal steel player and use to a 7/8 X 3-3/8" round bar, I had a number of smaller round bars made and thought it felt better than the standard dobro bar.

I had a gigantic Robert Randolf bar and decided to give it a try and although the bar is similar to a railroad track rail I started to get a better and beefier tone from it.

I contacted Jim Palenscar and ordered a Shubb SP1 and SP2 bar. The SP1 has a rounder end so it's easier to slide over the strings.

The tone, feel and accuracy are nice and the more I use it the more I like it.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Joe Snow

Argyle,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2013 4:52 am    

I used an SP-1 for a while and remember really liking it. I have wanted to revisit it, but can't find it. It's been kind of frustrating and I'm thinking of buying another just to try it out again. I play lap steel and resonator and ever since I got a 3/4 tribotone, that's about all I've used on anything I play.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2013 5:17 am    

I am always looking for something and it's getting worse the older I get. I have a new MXR Dynacomp that I had in my studio and I can't find the darn thing so it will show up when it wants to.

If you order an SP1, the one you are looking for show up shortly after the new one arrives.

Lenny
Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2013 7:31 am    

I have an SP2 and I found that it was a good bar for everything but reverse slants, those are awkward with it. I also ground off the tail end of it a small amount so that it didn't catch strings when the bar was being slid back, not enough to inhibit doing hammer ons and pull offs with it tho. Since I had the grinder out I cut a small notch at the top, just something to provide grip for my thumb to make reverse slants a little more doable. That worked, sort of, but the cut away part needs to be roughed up or another notch cut to facilitate traction for the thumb. My go to bar is a Dunlop 918, but I sometimes get arthritic flare ups and the SP2 goes with me for those occasions.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2013 12:26 pm    

i use the sp1 bar. i have several of them, some i have modified by removing some material for weight.

i emailed them about making a longer version that would work for more strings. got an email back saying no interest in it. wish they would make one about an inch longer for use with 10 12 and 14 stringers.

the RR bar is really not much longer than the SP1 if you look at them side by side. just bigger and heavier.
Dale R Stiles

Bradenton, FL
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2013 2:53 pm    

Hi Len

I love my SP1 -- but only for open tuned guitar on my lap dobro style and my lap steel as Ive been trying Sacred Steel.

I use a round bar on lap steel for everything else.

I'm no expert but I guess it comes down to SP1 for lots of hammer work and round for a lot of steel/slant work for me.

Hope I explained that ok.

Happy Trails
Dale

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2013 6:36 pm    

I now have the RR #1 & #2 along with a bunch of others and keep going back to the SP1. I hold it a bit different but it makes the lap steel more melodic and the notes come out of the amp cleaner.

Cool!
Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 10:10 am    

Great! I've got the 1 and 2, and the 2 feels way better in my hand. Like Dale, I use it on my acoustic guitar, but prefer the bulletz with my lectrified steels.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 3:08 pm    

The RR bars are OK if you do single notes or hammer ons and pull offs but the Shubb SP1 feels comfortable and the more I hold it the easier it is to manipulate.

I feel as though I discovered something special and it was under my nose waiting for me to try it.....Go Figure!