| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Better feel for the pedals without shoes
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 4:48 pm    

I'm a beginner and up until recently, I've been playing barefoot or with socks. I'm finding that when I play with shoes, I can't get the nice touch with the pedals that I get without shoes. By that, I mean that when I use the standard left foot technique with shoes, my playing sounds more mechanical and less nuanced than before. When playing barefoot, I have extreme control over the pedals because I can change the shape of my foot and use my individual toes. I know that I have to learn how to play with shoes on, so I'm not advocating for playing barefoot. I want to know that as I practice more with shoes, whether I'll regain that same amount of pedal control that I have now playing barefoot.
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 5:01 pm    

My feetsees is too tender to play without shoes! Whoa!

I do tend to do better with "real" shoes on, and not my "crocs" shoes.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 6:15 pm    

Hank Ruf plays in stocking feet. I prefer shoes. I believe someone could grow accustomed to the other if they chose to.
I bet that, once you get your proverbial 10,000 hours in, It will matter less and less
William Lake

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 7:13 pm    

Try soft soled moccasins. Works for me.

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 8:08 pm    

William Lake wrote:
Try soft soled moccasins. Works for me.

Me too.
John Castelletti

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 8:35 pm    

hang in there…as a beginner (playing about 2 or so years) everything felt wrong. the slightest change of seat height or tilt....shoes…hand position…anything would throw me way off.

the good news is that its a very challenging instrument to start on, its take a lot of coordination, so dont feel bad about anything..its hard!

now i can sit down shoes..no shoes…boots….doesnt matter, just give it some time and it will all come together. keep practicing and good luck!
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 8:46 pm    

I've been thinking of getting some moccasins soon, but I've been procrastinating. One thing I can do with shoes that I can't do barefoot is activate the A pedal just by rolling my ankle. It seem like that's a necessary movement in order to transition from the B-C pedals to A or A-B quickly.

I really like the control I have over my pedals now. I like activating the pedals in a non-uniform way. Transitioning between chord and dischord is one of the things that makes the pedal steel so emotive. Building and resolving that tension is pretty neat when you have a real nice touch on the pedals.
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 9:25 pm    

Sounds like playing w/ or w/o fingerpicks.

Re: shoes, I play sometimes w/o them at night at home out of laziness, but I find I have the opposite effect - w/o shoes, I have no touch like I do with shoes on. (I do the same thing with fingerpicks, occasionally, too, actually.) When I started learning, though, I made a point always to wear shoes when practicing to get used to it - like with the fingerpicks. Still working toward my 10,000 hrs.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 9:56 pm    

Just wait till you play in boots.
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 10:15 pm    

when I started I only played in socks , BUT
my teacher insisted that I practiced in what in normally wear ( boots )
it took a while but now it makes no difference what I wear , boots sneakers , loafers whatever,
but now I can not play in just my socks!! the pedal just don't feel right without some kind of footwear

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 10:58 pm    

Being a newbie myself, I suggest you use shoes. I second what Calvin says. The first months of practising I too wanted to play with socks, but I got the recommendation to use shoes, and I decided to follow that. Now it´s hard playing w/o shoes. So you´ll get used to it.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2013 11:41 pm    

Im 6'4" and started in socks because my first steel was too low to play with shoes on. Laughing
Im used to playing in sneakers, shoes or boots with a low heel (ropers vs. cowboy boots). I also use a low profile volume pedal. Sneakers are still most comfortable to me. Dont forget that the ankle needs to be able to bend quickly in both directions and some footwear can hinder this flexibility.

It is easier to feel the pedals with soft soled shoes or sneakers. Ultimately you can get used to playing in any footwear with practice, but you really dont see too many steel players wearing heavy winter boots (unless they are shoveling snow). Razz

Buddy Emmons prefers sneakers here, in case theres any question.
Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 2:25 am     what Lane said

As Lane said upstream, after enough time, it probably doesn't matter much. I'm new to the pedals, but I've been practicing in everything from Crocs to cowboy boots because I don't want to need to have "playing shoes" on when I need to play. (Surprisingly, skateboard shoes seem to work well for me. Boots are fine too. Crocs, well, they wouldn't be my first choice.)

Now I just have to get about 9500 more hours in. Smile
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 2:33 am    

I went through that. Now my preference is cowboy boots. But it doesn't really matter.

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 5:39 am    

Try a pair of ballet slippers. They make them in black - they pedal better.
Tim Konecky

Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 6:11 am    

Get yourself a nice pair of low top Chuck Taylor's. Thin soles, lots of ankle freedom, and you'll be stylin' at the same time.

That is... if you want to be one of the cool kids. Cool
David Shepack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 6:42 am     I can't play without shoes.

I did while I was just tuning, and I didn't like it. I do remember hearing about a guy who carried around an old ratty, worn out, goofy looking, out of style, scuffed up pair of boots that he wouldn't walk around in. He was afraid of wearing them out, and only wore them to play pedal steel. He was accustomed to the way they felt and never wanted to play without them. I actually used to be like that about a pair of shoes, but as I got older, my feet widened and they started to hurt my feet. I have also seen pictures of pedal steel players that wore a mismatched pair of shoes.
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 7:24 am    

This is great and informative thread.

1) Richard, are you serious about the ballet slippers? I might actually be interested in that.

2) David, I can understand the mismatched shoes part of it. I find that using the volume pedal is more ergonomic with a hiking boot on, but they suck for working the pedals.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 8:07 am    

I started out playing in slippers, but then started thinking about what I'd do playing out. I switched to cowboy boots. Getting them re-soled, I used Nike running shoes for a week and got used to them really quick. After a year of playing I prefer cowboy boots, but can play wearing anything.

I guess the best thing is to learn with all the different footwear you use. If you get called to play for a wedding party, socks or slippers may not be appropriate, and in a bar I wouldn't want to be barefoot with all that glass around. I notice that I do have to adjust the pedal rods for teh A pedal a little between footwear depending on how thick the heel or sole is. Just a couple revolutions on the rod and slip cover or whatever you call it that goes over the pedal's ball joint.

Anybody else adjust rods according to their footwear?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 8:17 am    

starting out as a longhair in a redneck bar, it was hard enough to not get kissed by them without wearing ballet slippers!!

always been cowboy boots for me...they set your foot in the right position with a heel to pivot on.
barefoot or socks would be very dorky on a club gig with all the spit, beer and gum on the floor.

daniel...one year when my boots were all worn out i did set the pedals lower on one steel so i could play comfortably in tennies.
Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 8:42 am    

chris ivey wrote:
starting out as a longhair in a redneck bar, it was hard enough to not get kissed by them without wearing ballet slippers!!

LOL! The heel on boots is a big advantage. Also, the narrow toes seem to help. And, as you so aptly put it, in a redneck bar, they do send correct cultural signals. Smile
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 8:56 am    

I have 3 pair of cowboy boots but only one of them feels right playing steel. I really like converse all star sneakers... and for those who want to try Richard's idea of ballet slippers, first try water shoes for swimmers. They are light weight, black or with colors and have very flexible soles.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 9:14 am    

ha ha..wear your speedo to the club for more tips.
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 10:10 am    

What are tips?

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 10:48 am    

Chris and Bob, good point about the advantage of cowboy boots giving us the advantage of pivoting on the heel. There's advantages to each form of footwear. Fortunately we don't have to stand on our feet all night so we have some leeway, but if you have an uncomfortable chair or bench, that could make for a long night.